Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbn42
I have worked for companies that required same-sex employees traveling together to share hotel rooms. One of my bosses even mentioned that if you aren't outgoing and sociable enough to share a room with a colleague for a couple of nights, the company wouldn't want you interacting with clients. .
If there were such a policy, is it may be better to have different sex share the same hotel room? After all, companies should not promote homosexuality. Different sexes in the same room and a company provided chastity belt may be better.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I've had to share rooms with co-workers on several occasions and luckily, it was ok most of the time. We both understood that it was primarily a business trip and only used the room to sleep and shower.

However, I've also had my share of bad work roommates: the party girl who got so drunk as to vomit in the sink, pass out in the shower...nightly, another that was into "vacation sex", a sleepwalker and one with some sort of nasal deformation that caused her to snore extremely loudly.

The last two really needed their own rooms for medical reasons, but the first 2 were just simply irresponsible, spoiled and entitled brats.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tcl
I've had to share rooms with co-workers on several occasions and luckily, it was ok most of the time. We both understood that it was primarily a business trip and only used the room to sleep and shower.

However, I've also had my share of bad work roommates: the party girl who got so drunk as to vomit in the sink, pass out in the shower...nightly, another that was into "vacation sex", a sleepwalker and one with some sort of nasal deformation that caused her to snore extremely loudly.

The last two really needed their own rooms for medical reasons, but the first 2 were just simply irresponsible, spoiled and entitled brats.
Arguably drinking/sex would be something that shouldn't be a co-worker's business. They may have been brats, but doing their own thing on their own time, even if it wasn't what you (or I!) would do, doesn't necessarily make it so.

--LG
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I've had to share rooms before..............thank god they still have twin beds.
Del: Why are you holding my hand?
Neal: [frowns] Where's your other hand?
Del: Between two pillows...
Neal: Those aren't pillows!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:16 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by lg10
Arguably drinking/sex would be something that shouldn't be a co-worker's business. They may have been brats, but doing their own thing on their own time, even if it wasn't what you (or I!) would do, doesn't necessarily make it so.

--LG
Problem was that they brought it back to the room sometime between 3am and 6am

If they were discreet and didn't bother me in my sleep I really wouldn't care what they did outside of work. But the problem with room sharing is that when one brings such behaviour back to the room, it disturbs the other person which then makes it a work problem for the next day.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcl
Problem was that they brought it back to the room sometime between 3am and 6am

If they were discreet and didn't bother me in my sleep I really wouldn't care what they did outside of work. But the problem with room sharing is that when one brings such behaviour back to the room, it disturbs the other person which then makes it a work problem for the next day.
Risque and inappropriate.. your coworker could exercise a bit of discretion especially with you being in the room and all..

Did you have a talk with your coworker?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by Alexzander
I have travelled a lot, and if my employer cannot afford to pay for my own room, they cannot afford me.
^^^

Years ago (in the dark ages) I had a manager ask me if I would attend a class in Chicago. He was very upfront in telling me that employees would be sharing rooms. I very politely (or maybe not so politely) refused the class... If that happen now, I would be going to the highest officer in my group and asking them where does women buy pajamas these days, what kind of pj's did they wear and what is the max that I could expense since this would be something new to me... Then I would ask my boss (in front of anybody around) to schedule a reminder on his calendar to call me and remind me to take my prozac with me as well as to take beano regularly.

I do believe that companies create these policies to see how far they can push their employees into accepting situations where they could be uncomfortable and should not be forced to... Most companies (if any) don't pay the employee for working during hotel time and dinner time. The employee is giving up his/her free time by being there. Except for mandatory work dinners or an occasional team building activity in the evenings, I like to go back to my room and have some free time. Get into my bathrobe (or less), crack a bottle of Cabernet, order something from room service and read a good book... That's my time to regroup. The last thing that I want to be doing is sharing that room with somebody from work who could be talking about my lack of jamies, snoring, belching or any other thing that I do in my private room...

If two employees are best of friends or dating and want to bunk together, that's different. It's their choice. I would also agree to sharing an apartment like some others have described where each person has their own private bedroom and bathroom...

Last edited by localady; Nov 18, 2011 at 9:46 pm
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:30 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
My boss once forced me to share a room with a girl he had met in a nightclub whilst we were at a conference. After persuading said girl to stick around and miss her last train home, the boss's wife turned up to "surprise" him.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Once and only once for me. Had received promotion to "management" and was invited to an annual meeting. Checked in, went to room and saw some clothes and a suitcase on the bed. I was naive enough to go down to the lobby to advise clearly they had booked me into the wrong room--someone else was occupying it. I then got the bad news--2 per room--never even dreamed that could happen.

I had to stay one extra evening due to airline scheduling and my roomie had decided to take a few personal days on top of the business trip. He had checked out, but that evening at midnight showed up with about 5 friends. I refused to let them in.

Never again..like others have posted here--I would pay for my own room before ever doing that again. I was flabbergasted at the time that quite senior management still had to bunk 2 to a room, and in fact seemed to make quite a game out of making sure they had this or that room mate.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:30 pm

I don't travel for my job, so I'd have to double check the travel policy, but I'm pretty sure it's actually against corporate policy to share a hotel room with another employee (unless that employee is your significant other). I work for a major company who can be quite thrifty when it comes to expenses too.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Once and only once for me. Had received promotion to "management" and was invited to an annual meeting. Checked in, went to room and saw some clothes and a suitcase on the bed. I was naive enough to go down to the lobby to advise clearly they had booked me into the wrong room--someone else was occupying it. I then got the bad news--2 per room--never even dreamed that could happen.

I had to stay one extra evening due to airline scheduling and my roomie had decided to take a few personal days on top of the business trip. He had checked out, but that evening at midnight showed up with about 5 friends. I refused to let them in.

Never again..like others have posted here--I would pay for my own room before ever doing that again. I was flabbergasted at the time that quite senior management still had to bunk 2 to a room, and in fact seemed to make quite a game out of making sure they had this or that room mate.
Good point on the option to pay for a seperate room.. Companies should allow this by subsidizing what the company was going to expense, and let the employee pay the difference for privacy..

I think in my younger days, I would have looked forward hanging out.. but nowadays, it privacy all the way if not with my family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.