Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Well... I found out I have to share a room for a 2nd round job interview where the company is bringing in many students for a multi-day presentation/interview about the company. No biggie because I figure that everybody else is a college student and has shared a room anyways. I lived in the dorms for 2 years and just got my own apartment a few months ago (with a roommate, but each have our own room).

I could care less if I had to share a room anytime in the next 5 or so years, being that at most the companies I'm looking, the younger staff party at night anyways....Once I "grow up" I will probably have a different opinion on this topic.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:46 am

Well I feel you are right as my experience also tells me that there are some people who are always looking to go out on a business trip for this purpose only.This according to me is very irritating at times but being a junior or rather a newbie in this company cant complain always. Hope that this trend stops.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:58 am

[QUOTE=MikeMpls;7286852]When I worked for Control Data in the early 80's, I received an award that allowed me to attend international marketing's 100% Club -- 700 people in the Bahamas for 5 days of free food, free booze, free activities and a few "business" meetings.

QUOTE]

Hey, my dad worked for Control Data around that time... maybe you know eachother? I'll PM you
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by Punki
I We do, however, have some industry conferences (read industry parties) which are held in very high-demand locations at very busy times. The deal is that, if our employees want to attend on our dime, they will share a room with another same sex employee of their choice. If they don't want to share a room with another employee, they can either stay home, or get their own room. .
But if you will agree to share a room for some kinds of trips, doesn't that make it reasonable for you to share a room for all kinds of trips?

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

I just have a personal aversion to sharing a room with a superior.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
My employer has reimbursed half the room rate, thus if you want your own room you can if you just want half the reimbursement. Or you can room with a co-worker friend and between the two of you the room is covered completely by reimbursement. I think that's a workable solution
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ucsf_med
My employer has reimbursed half the room rate, thus if you want your own room you can if you just want half the reimbursement. Or you can room with a co-worker friend and between the two of you the room is covered completely by reimbursement. I think that's a workable solution
Workable for the employer perhaps, but not for me. I am hard-pressed to think of a situation where I would, out of my own pocket, pay for any expense that is the responsibility of my employer. BTW, does this policy apply to EVERYONE at your company, or only the "low-level" employees? (if this policy doesn't apply to everyone, I'd be even more angry)
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by AllanJ
But if you will agree to share a room for some kinds of trips, doesn't that make it reasonable for you to share a room for all kinds of trips?
No, not really. If you are attending some type of event that has a strong personal element to it, then the employer requiring the employee to bear some of the costs is reasonable (this is part of the negotiations about being allowed to go on work time). But going to a mostly work type event is a situation where I don't want to tripping over my workmates at night given how much time I spent with them in the day.

I've gone to a few courses where I've shared a condo as they often have them at resorts in the shoulder season. But these condos were 3 and 4 bedroom monsters with kitchen and living room (double and triple the size of my apartment), so it doesn't really count as "sharing". I'd actually prefer to have at least one other human since I don't like to rattle around in 1,800 sqft of quiet space. Much different than sharing a room.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, NW SE
My mom had a forced roomate for a week during training for her new job. The roomate got very drunk at dinner and spent the night being sick in the bathroom. My mom went and got her own room right then and there, and paid for it herself. She did NOT get reimbursed.

That job only lasted 7 months before she got fed up and left, if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
From what I've seen/heard, most school districts require room sharing for teachers & administrators attending conferences/CE/athletic events.

My wife (former teacher, current AP) has had to share at every conference she's attended.

When I was working, everyone had their own room (Fortune 500 Co.).
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Last month we had a big industry/party/show event in Las Vegas. We offered our most promising intern the oppotunity to go down to the show if he was willing to sleep on the hide-a-bed couch in the living room of a suite occupied by a couple who also works for us. He jumped at the chance as he had never before been to Vegas and really wanted to see the shows we were working on.

As it turned out, a client for whom we were simultaneously doing some work in Vegas booked a room for us at the Venetian, so the intern stayed there by himself and loved it. Well, he was a little disappointed that he had so much luxury to himself while his fiance was alone in Seattle, but other than that it was a fabulous experience for him.

There is sharing rooms and sharing rooms. It all depends on the relationships, freedoms of choice and individual circumstances. As long as there is totally open communication and everyone if fully informed and given choices, sharing rooms is good. If it is forced, it could certainly cause some problems.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
A few years ago, I went to a conference in Anaheim, CA. When looking around, I noticed that for a little less than twice the "preferred hotel" price, I could book a room onsite at Disneyland which included amusementpark admission during our whole stay plus some extra goodies. So after talking with one of my co-workers who was going, we decided to share a room and stay onsite. Our company allowed it since the total cost was less than if both of us had separate rooms at the normal hotel. ^
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by Punki
Last month we had a big industry/party/show event in Las Vegas. We offered our most promising intern the oppotunity to go down to the show if he was willing to sleep on the hide-a-bed couch in the living room of a suite occupied by a couple who also works for us. He jumped at the chance as he had never before been to Vegas and really wanted to see the shows we were working on.

As it turned out, a client for whom we were simultaneously doing some work in Vegas booked a room for us at the Venetian, so the intern stayed there by himself and loved it. Well, he was a little disappointed that he had so much luxury to himself while his fiance was alone in Seattle, but other than that it was a fabulous experience for him.

There is sharing rooms and sharing rooms. It all depends on the relationships, freedoms of choice and individual circumstances. As long as there is totally open communication and everyone if fully informed and given choices, sharing rooms is good. If it is forced, it could certainly cause some problems.

How did the couple feel about having an intern foisted upon them? While I understand that there are stages of one's career where one shares room with similarly situated coworkers, it seems particularly egregious to take a married couple and ask them to share. It sounds more like you just aren't able to afford these kinds of events if you have to go to such extremes to make them financially viable.

I especially hope that the original suite you intended the happy threesome to share wasn't one of the "all-suites" rooms at the Venetian where the "living room" is separated from the "bedroom" by a two-foot high (open, no less) railing.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by robb

How did the couple feel about having an intern foisted upon them? While I understand that there are stages of one's career where one shares room with similarly situated coworkers, it seems particularly egregious to take a married couple and ask them to share. It sounds more like you just aren't able to afford these kinds of events if you have to go to such extremes to make them financially viable.

I especially hope that the original suite you intended the happy threesome to share wasn't one of the "all-suites" rooms at the Venetian where the "living room" is separated from the "bedroom" by a two-foot high (open, no less) railing.
LOL! ("happy threesome") ... These were my exact thoughts as well.

--LG
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DoD Joint Travel Regulation has always stipulated that individuals below the rank of O-6 (Full Colonel/Navy Captain) and GS-15 were required to double up on overseas travel if the room rates exceeded the allowable per diem by a certain amount. (I think this rule is still in effect.)

I also recall sharing a room once or twice at a government conference facility here in the DC area that had its own dorm. Mrs Flies had to do that as recently as last year.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I think expectations of privacy and comfort are slightly different as a soldier than as an employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.