Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:04 am

This thread had me digging through the employee handbook for the first time in the three years I've been here. Although I've never been forced to share a room (and wouldn't), it doesn't say in the handbook that we can't. Two of my coworkers had to share a room two weeks ago in New York, but I don't think that would happen to me. Even when the boss took all the guys in the office out for one guys bachelor party, he got us all individual hotel rooms (10-11).

Incidentally, a friend that works for a national private investigation company was traveling for business and he and a coworker he'd never met decided to share a room and split the difference. The other guy turned out to be gun nut who spent the night telling my friend about the imminent collapse of the U.S. and how he should move to the middle of nowhere and horde food, fuel and guns. That's enough reason there to never share a room.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
At my present company, there was a married couple that often had to travel to the same meetings. Also, my partner was sometimes engaged as an interpreter for meetings that I had to attend. For both couples it was made clear that the same travel policies applied to us as to everyone else, and if we wanted two rooms per couple there would be no objection at all.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I think you'll find that the majority of American companies do not require sharing of rooms, but that some companies do. May be 95% - 5% at the most. (pure speculation on my part).

I grew up in Canada and I've never had to share a hotel room with co-workers, only when I was younger we shared a 3-bedroom condo.

JP
Originally Posted by CarolineW
And now, you say that employers ask adults to share rooms ? Well, maybe that's the American way, but you wont find any of that in Europe - to the best of my knowledge.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Way back when I first entered the workforce my company required us to share hotel rooms. I thought it was normal until I went to another company and my manager looked at me funny when I asked who'd I be sharing my room with.

Nowadays, I run my own business. It's small, but I certainly wouldn't ask anybody who worked for me to share a room. Of course, we're not going to be staying at the high-end hotels either.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
In theory it is strongly encouraged, but the gender makeup makes it pretty impractical in most cases.

The bone of contention around here is a client who prefers that we stay as his guests on his property. It is partly a cultural thing, but it isn't entirely impractical given most of the nearby accomodations look like the Bates Motel.

Some love it, some hate it.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:42 pm

ugh...The concept of sharing a room with a coworker is disgusting. Not that I find my coworkers revolting, but to send you away on business and not even give you a room to yourself is ridiculous. I feel like employers think that travelling for them is a benefit.

I myself have never had to share a room for work, but I once heard from some employees at Wal-Mart that it's company policy for all employees to share rooms.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by stephen.p
ugh...The concept of sharing a room with a coworker is disgusting. Not that I find my coworkers revolting, but to send you away on business and not even give you a room to yourself is ridiculous. I feel like employers think that travelling for them is a benefit.

I myself have never had to share a room for work, but I once heard from some employees at Wal-Mart that it's company policy for all employees to share rooms.
Do you want a job or not?

As we come back to normalcy I predict that if a room has 2 beds then the 2 beds will be used...just like common sense would dictate.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Do you want a job or not?

As we come back to normalcy I predict that if a room has 2 beds then the 2 beds will be used...just like common sense would dictate.
Common sense? Really? How often do you let a stranger sleep in the same room as you in your home?

If my company put such a policy in place, I would actively seek out another job and travel as little as possible until I had one.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Certainly not. Common sense does not dictate that you snore, talk gibberish, pass gas, etc. in the presence of people you are not personally involved with. As I think I posted way earlier in this old thread: never in hell, depression or no depression. I'll sleep in the Avis car first.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Common sense? Really? How often do you let a stranger sleep in the same room as you in your home?
Can you define stranger? I mean after a few drinks, some chit chat, are they really strangers anymore?

Seriously, I don't share hotel rooms when traveling and don't find sharing rooms to be a valid stipulation from the company.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, SkyMiles,Avis
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Can you define stranger? I mean after a few drinks, some chit chat, are they really strangers anymore?

Seriously, I don't share hotel rooms when traveling and don't find sharing rooms to be a valid stipulation from the company.
Ohhh last time I had to share a room was in college and it was with 2 women, being the only openly gay member of our group. We had such a greeeeat time in CVG! I have very good taste in wine shall I say and good talent singing karaoke.
Ahhh memories...
Cheers, Matt
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by matt_in_yul
Ohhh last time I had to share a room was in college and it was with 2 women, being the only openly gay member of our group. We had such a greeeeat time in CVG! I have very good taste in wine shall I say and good talent singing karaoke.
Ahhh memories...
Cheers, Matt
I have had to share a 2 bedroom villa/suite on a conference

Although, when I was back at uni I went on a 2 day job interview for a Big 6 (in those days) accounting firm, and they made us share rooms. I still remember, my room mate was so drunk from the dinner, when I got up the next morning he was asleep on the bathroom floor. Ahh... those were the days
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
In my business travels, I find that quite a few companies require their rank and file employees who travel to share hotel rooms on business trips. Not only have I met people who work in start-ups, non-profits, and other types of smaller businesses who I suspect could be more subject to such a policy, but have encountered workers from well-known firms headquartered on Fifth Avenue in NYC subject to such an edict.

I'm very much a loner, and would find it extremely uncomfortable to be assigned a roommate who is a co-worker, or sometimes complete stranger, to satisfy a corporate policy. A few years ago, I was offered a very good job with a non-profit, but since their policy dictated sharing a hotel room at annual conferences with one (or more) co-workers, I declined.

Several years ago, a friend of mine was thrilled to land a position with a prestigious organization that required heavy travel. Such thrill was short-lived as she was unaware they required room sharing, which she called "the ultimate intrusion", and could endure this only for a couple years and quit. Needless to say, her situation taught me to ask a future employer about their travel policies before accepting the job.

I'm curious to know of others' experience in this dilemma. If your employer has this policy, is there any option (other than quitting, or requesting a position that does not involve travel) if you don't want to share a room? If you comply and share rooms, how does it work out? Ever been assigned a complete stranger or disliked co-worker as your roommate?
Just spend most of your time talking about gay rights and how great your local BDSM community is. You will likely find that your coworkers will end up doubling up but oddly you're the lucky one with your own room.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:27 am

Yes. before the contract of 1993, we had to share rooms in training.

Last edited by skylady; Nov 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
I always had the sharing a room issue in the same category/class of policy as a company that keeps employees frequent flyer miles.

Never have and never would work for a firm so cheap and pathetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.