Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has your employer ever forced you to share a hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk DlFlyGirl! I guess your former boss trolls the Budget Travel forum.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Never happened to me (only worked for one company since graduation). However, on a project working with my good friends, I was able to book a 3-bedroom suite for the 3 of us instead of getting 3 separate standard room ^
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
This hapened to me a couple months ago. Client was only paying fr one room, which my boss and I found out at check in. He promply plopped a cc on the counter and instructed the person that under no circumstances was the client to know he was personlly paying for an upgrade to a two bedroom suite. I had no complaints.

Of course, this is after years of climbing the corporate ladder. I've spent m fair share of time with four men per room in a Super 8 tucked in a Baltimore ghetto here they put up bulletproof glass at check in past 6pm. I wish that was an exaggeration. Yikes
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tkey75
This hapened to me a couple months ago. Client was only paying fr one room, which my boss and I found out at check in. He promply plopped a cc on the counter and instructed the person that under no circumstances was the client to know he was personlly paying for an upgrade to a two bedroom suite. I had no complaints.

Of course, this is after years of climbing the corporate ladder. I've spent m fair share of time with four men per room in a Super 8 tucked in a Baltimore ghetto here they put up bulletproof glass at check in past 6pm. I wish that was an exaggeration. Yikes
Reminds me of my time at the Holiday Inn Oakland Airport. Scary, scary place...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
At my previous employer (around 1990), we went on a overnite training trip about 100 miles away. I had heard that I had to share a room with the supervisor. He was decent but the company not so.

I asked our Company Comptroller what our limit on cost ($100 base) and if both rooms were <=$100 base, could we get our own rooms? He said OK.

At that time, I happened to see that Red Lion had a nice sale and single 1 bed rooms were $49/night. My boss didn't care if we stayed in Super 8, Motel 6, cheap motel, etc. He was pleasantly surprised that I found the Red Lion for $49/room.

Word got around and the Comptroller was pissed!!! He didn't think that I could get 2 nice rooms for a total of <$100 base. I told him you said it was OK to get the 2 rooms so we didn't have to share.

I left that company in 1993 & haven't looked back.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Had to share rooms during two 8-week training stints at another company location back in the early 1990s. Actually, they were more like double-wide trailers stacked on top of each other. Each person had his/her own room and bathroom, with shared living space and kitchen. Overall it wasn't bad, and went a long way towards fostering teamwork and camaraderie. Also had to share a room on a weekend-long company offsite. Not bad, but when I look back on those days, I'm definitely glad I haven't been forced to "bunk up" with any co-workers since then.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
At a former employer, my department's director wanted to send us to a conference. The CIO said tried to get us to share rooms. One of the employees made a fuss and the CIO backed off.

Considering my probable roommate spent his evenings in New Orleans staying out on Bourbon St until 3 AM, I'm glad I had my own room.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:30 pm

My current employer has never made me share a hotel room, and it's one of the few things that would be a deal breaker for me. Especially as I'm often stuck in a hotel for a week or more at a time. The very last thing I want is to be around anyone.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
The only time I ever shared a room in my working life was in a fairly nice conference hotel in Fort Lauderdale - sharing was company policy at the time. My room mate was known as a lover of whisky and lap-dancing and the first night he went out and got a face full and a skin full. He arrived back at the room a 3am, vomited in the closet and proceeded to stagger around, occasionally dry heaving. He then turned on the TV to give him "something to stop the room from spinning".

I went to reception to ask for another room, but they were all full, so I spent the rest of the night in the car. My boss found out about this and went ape-sh!t at me for sleeping in the car and tore a strip of my colleague for being so drunk. Weeks later this was still buzzing around HR until I sent a stroppy email saying that, as long as my colleague was not drunk during work hours he could drink until whatever time of night he wanted (he paid for the alcohol and the room cleaning fees out his own pocket), but it was the company policy that had forced me to be in the room to experience the effects of it. Two days later a email went out company-wide saying that although the company would appreciate the cost saving that room sharing would bring it was no longer mandatory.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL: Plat; Marriott Gold; HHonors Gold
In 1966 my then employer, a Fortune 5 company, required double bunking on a one week out-of-town exercise. It went ok: there was an awful amount of pressure on the over-budget and late project that we accepted the situation.
A much later employer (1998 - 2002) double bunked us for annual training, awards sessions in a resort location. Always carefule to select the right room mate!
This same employer had a gang of us on a remote project where the client would only cover two to a room but the emplyer ate the difference and had us in separate rooms.
In conclusion - it can be done but I really don't like it.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Originally Posted by DlFlyGirl
I moved on from this job eons ago, yet I still somewhat regularly cross paths with colleague with whom *I* shared a bed.

Ugh.
Yikes! It's bad enough you were forced to share a room with multiple co-workers, but also sharing a bed with a co-worker within that same room???
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
We recently had another of "testing the waters" with the suggestion that people share a hotel room when traveling on business.

I said that was fine, but my roommate would have to understand that when I am in my room on my personal time, I will act just like I do at home, which means I am in my underwear and, perhaps, socks for the evening.

They stopped testing those waters.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I have worked for companies that required same-sex employees traveling together to share hotel rooms. One of my bosses even mentioned that if you aren't outgoing and sociable enough to share a room with a colleague for a couple of nights, the company wouldn't want you interacting with clients. I just traveled occasionally, so I had no problem with it, but if I had been on the road every week I can see why it would become uncomfortable.

One time I was at a conference in San Francisco and I was given a flat travel grant with $450 for 3 nights hotel with no need to submit receipts. I stayed at a youth hostel for $25 a day and kept the extra money. Those were my younger days, when I really needed money; I wouldn't be so willing to do that now.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Was an executive assistant with a sponsor at the Big Valley Jamboree in my early college years.. surprisingly, all of the executive assistants and employees shared a room, except for myself.. and rooms were completely sold out in town..
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
I've only shared three times in my career:

1 -- mid 20's. small company sent me and the core team to a conference in July at beaver run resort in breckenridge. i shared a 2br/2ba, 2 story condo with a buddy/coworker for a week at the base of the mountain. freakin *great* time that week -- we'd go out with the team for dinner (we were the young'ns), then hike the mountain at night till late.

2 -- last year. boss and i (who get along very well) met in chicago for an AM client visit. i had booked my room ahead of time but he didnt, and his flight got in late...turns out there was a huge convention and they wouldnt give him a room. fortunately i had a suite so he crashed on the hide-a bed...no big deal. funny -- we each had our own TV in the cubby that separated hte suite. every time i changed the channel on my tv it would also change the channel on his. i messed with him for about 20 mins before he figured out what was up.

3 -- this summer. customer has annual golf outing/pig roast in the Adirondacks. one of them has a very rustic and highly functional 2-story cabin, 4 bedrooms sleeps about 15 just throw your gear on a twin bed (if you actually wind up sleeping, that is)...another great time.

but to share a courtyard or whatever on a regular basis for regular workday travel? no freakin way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.