Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Barefoot on the plane

Barefoot on the plane

Old May 13, 2005, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
First of all, what has this got to do with AA?

I walk around in my socks all the time on the plane and don't care what is on the floor. On takeoff and landing I put my shoes back on in case I need to walk on debris if there is a crash.

Nothing could be grosser than first year anatomy in med school when all kinds of flesh and other body parts would get stuck in the indentations of my shoes and my roommates shoes and invariably turn up in the carpet at home. On flights to Japan they give out AA slippers if you ask and I carry those with me on flights to wear.
Old May 13, 2005, 9:43 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by mvoight
A valid point.
I also doubt that airlines airlines expect you to wear shoes with the socks they give you onboard.
Ah thats assuming flight servicing remembered to load them.
Old May 16, 2005, 2:13 pm

Back onto the toenail clipping piece (sorry, still haven't figured out how to quote an earlier post in my threads), my honey reports that on his Eva flight LAX-TPE on Saturday, he was seated near a lady with her 5 or 6 year old child. After dinner, the cabin crew turned out the lights and turned off the IFE so pax could sleep. Most of them did, with the exception of this lady, who proceeded to turn on her reading lamp which, of course, was shining in honey's eyes. She then clipped all of her fingernails, then all of her sleeping child's fingernails, then picked up her own bare feet to trim her toenails and then did the same for/to the child. Bose QC2s are great for trying to sleep on flights, but they sure can't block out that type of activity next to you! Blech!
Old May 16, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: EXP Centurion JIC
Obviously, the woman was not Chinese as one of the classic Chinese superstitions: "Clipping toenails or fingernails at night is bad luck; the person will be visited by a ghost."

In fact, in a lot of Asian cultures, clipped nails, even hair, are bad luck, especially if not disposed of properly.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I would never be barefoot on a plane, but I will take shoes off and keep the socks on. It is much better for your feet than to have shoes on them for a 10 hour flight. However, since TSA always makes me take my shoes off, I am thinking of just going to the airport in socks, it will save a lot of time.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:45 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yes, CoC.
es, CoC.

Quote:
ACCEPTANCE OF PASSENGERS

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:
6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you
...f. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers,
...g. are barefoot, or
[/quote]

I like the part with "may remove you from your flight at any point
Old May 16, 2005, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
http://www.barefooters.org/key-works...imination.html
Old May 17, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by LAX21
I like the part with "may remove you from your flight at any point
Indeed! I wouldn't have been all that upset if the FA had tossed out the window the woman sitting next to me DFW-DCA on Sunday who would take off her shoes every 20 minutes and furiously scratch at her hose-covered feet. Her incessant whining and complaining didn't help the situation, but man, was it strange to see her attack her feet like a dog every time she got the urge.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Flyer1965
The big difference though is that (hopefully) people wash their hands throughout the day and should be cleaner and less smelly than someone popping out their smelly feet and cleaning out their toe jam

Anyone ever had someone CLIP their toenails onboard? Hopefully we can all agree THAT would be too much

For safety, I don't ever take off my shoes till we're airborne and I put them back on before landing so if we have to evac suddenly I have some protection.
Some years ago I saw a woman do exactly that in the DL C lounge in Nagoya. On a coffee table. Talk about the quintessential ugly American.

The spirit of Al Bundy lives on!
Old May 17, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by thagale
Indeed! I wouldn't have been all that upset if the FA had tossed out the window the woman sitting next to me DFW-DCA on Sunday who would take off her shoes every 20 minutes and furiously scratch at her hose-covered feet. Her incessant whining and complaining didn't help the situation, but man, was it strange to see her attack her feet like a dog every time she got the urge.

If you were ever bitten by fire ants you might be a bit more sympathetic.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by canuckshark
I was on an ORD to LHR flight and this guy takes his freakin shoes and socks off just before dinner. The FA very politely tells him that it is a healthcode violation and she cannot serve dinner till he at least puts his socks back on.
What heathcode violation? How can someone being barefoot possibly effect the health of anyone except him or her? (Same goes for being shirtless, really).

Personally, I almost always take my shoes and socks off as soon as I'm seated, but I always have flipflops in my bag that I put on. I would *never* walk around the plane barefoot, because of how disgustingly dirty the carpets and floors are. But, that's because I don't want my feet to get dirty; it wouldn't affect anyone else either way.

BTW, I often take my shirt off as well, but since I'm always wearing a T-shirt of some sort underneath (usually a colored one with the name of some company that went out of business) I figure it's OK.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by caligirl
Sorry but I am a sock loving flyer especially on red eyes or long haul flights. Wouldn't be completey bare foot though that would kind of gross me out.
Don't your socks get really disgusting?
Old May 17, 2005, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAFA
I used to fly 767 flights all the time. Quite a few times I sat at the jumpseat adjacent to the bulkhead wall in the front of coach facing the back of the plane.

I actually had people, more often than I could believe, who would put their bare feet up on the wall only about an inch or two away from my face and not remove them when I sat down for takeoff. When I told them they needed to put their feet down they actually demanded to know why. I suppose the fact that it was really disgustingly rude to have your feet in my face wasn't obvious and the fact that if the plane stopped short they would most likely kick me in the face wasn't a factor either.
Why is it worse if they are barefoot? Isn't it just as disgusting for them to have their filthy shoes in your face? And the kicking issue would be the same as well, I'd think.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anabolism
Personally, I almost always take my shoes and socks off as soon as I'm seated, but I always have flipflops in my bag that I put on. I would *never* walk around the plane barefoot, because of how disgustingly dirty the carpets and floors are. But, that's because I don't want my feet to get dirty; it wouldn't affect anyone else either way.

BTW, I often take my shirt off as well, but since I'm always wearing a T-shirt of some sort underneath (usually a colored one with the name of some company that went out of business) I figure it's OK.
Anything else you take off ? What's the point in getting dressed pal ?
Old May 17, 2005, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rimmer
Anything else you take off ? What's the point in getting dressed pal ?
Layers. It's all about layers.

BTW, if I intend to take my shirtf off, I'll wear it as an overshirt, unbuttoned, over top of my colored dead-company t-shirt. That way the shirt pocket is available for holding by boarding pass, passport, etc. Plus, if it gets cold I can button it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.