Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on the plane

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anabolism
Layers. It's all about layers.

BTW, if I intend to take my shirtf off, I'll wear it as an overshirt, unbuttoned, over top of my colored dead-company t-shirt. That way the shirt pocket is available for holding by boarding pass, passport, etc. Plus, if it gets cold I can button it.
I think I'm gonna try that next time I'm in the sky !
Old May 17, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by thagale
Indeed! I wouldn't have been all that upset if the FA had tossed out the window the woman sitting next to me DFW-DCA on Sunday who would take off her shoes every 20 minutes and furiously scratch at her hose-covered feet. Her incessant whining and complaining didn't help the situation, but man, was it strange to see her attack her feet like a dog every time she got the urge.
Be kind to such people. She probably contracted a fungus at the security checkpoint.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:51 pm

Why is it worse if they are barefoot? Isn't it just as disgusting for them to have their filthy shoes in your face? And the kicking issue would be the same as well, I'd think.
It would be gross either way. It is just that my only experiences with this issue was with people who were barefoot.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Some years ago I saw a woman do exactly that in the DL C lounge in Nagoya. On a coffee table. Talk about the quintessential ugly American.

The spirit of Al Bundy lives on!
Nah, Chinese are far worse than Americans when it comes to clipping toe and finger nails. I've never sat in coach on a trans-pac flight without at least 2 or 3 such individuals.
Old May 18, 2005, 12:26 am
askworldtraveler

way off anything AA related..but general flying....

moving to Travel Buzz

Old May 18, 2005, 5:26 am

On my second-last UA flight LHR-SFO I missed out on my pre-selected seat due to a very late connection and was seated just across the isle from my selected seat. Fairly good looking business woman was seated in that seat and a decent looking businessman next to her.

When FA's started distributing nuts and drinks then that guy takes off his shoes, then his socks and starts cleaning his toes sticking his right foot almost next to the nut bowl. To make things worse he suddenly got an itchy nose and started picking his nose with the same finger he used to clean his toes with. As if that wasn't sufficient he used his socks to wipe between his toes and shook his socks to get anything stuck to them off to the floor. Then he calmly proceeded to eat his nuts without washing his hands or putting socks back on.

I really felt sorry for the woman sitting next to him and thanked heavens that my connecting flight was late and I didn't have to sit next to such an individual.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Nah, Chinese are far worse than Americans when it comes to clipping toe and finger nails. I've never sat in coach on a trans-pac flight without at least 2 or 3 such individuals.
Hey whaddaya know - 2 strikes against me: American and Chinese. Maybe I should start clipping my toe nails on my next flight since I'm supposed to be culturally disposed to this. Think of all the time I would save! I have finally found the one useful thing I can do on that long long transpac flight.
Old May 18, 2005, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
A few years ago, one of the 60 Minutes type shows did a story on bacteria in planes. They did look at the carpet which is self explanatory. They also looked at the seats, and found all types (and I do mean ALL) of bacteria living on the fabric of airline seats. The physician pointed out that one would have to be a real thrillseeker to sit anywhere on a plane in shorts.
Old May 18, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Layers. It's all about layers.

BTW, if I intend to take my shirtf off, I'll wear it as an overshirt, unbuttoned, over top of my colored dead-company t-shirt. That way the shirt pocket is available for holding by boarding pass, passport, etc. Plus, if it gets cold I can button it.

Well now you're just using it as a coat, and we all take off our coats. No big deal.
Old May 18, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Spider
When FA's started distributing nuts and drinks then that guy takes off his shoes, then his socks and starts cleaning his toes sticking his right foot almost next to the nut bowl. To make things worse he suddenly got an itchy nose and started picking his nose with the same finger he used to clean his toes with. As if that wasn't sufficient he used his socks to wipe between his toes and shook his socks to get anything stuck to them off to the floor. Then he calmly proceeded to eat his nuts without washing his hands or putting socks back on.
Now that's nast-eee!
Old May 18, 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Well now you're just using it as a coat, and we all take off our coats. No big deal.
I agree, but the conclusion then is that it would be offensive if I had worn it buttoned and tucked, but it's OK if worn unbuttoned and untucked. Personally, I think if there's a t-shirt underneath, it's OK either way.
Old May 18, 2005, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
A few years ago, one of the 60 Minutes type shows did a story on bacteria in planes. They did look at the carpet which is self explanatory. They also looked at the seats, and found all types (and I do mean ALL) of bacteria living on the fabric of airline seats. The physician pointed out that one would have to be a real thrillseeker to sit anywhere on a plane in shorts.
So instead you sit wearing long pants, but your hands occasionally rest on your pants or otherwise touch them, not to mention opening bins, reaching into seat-back pockets, adjusting seat recline, etc., then you put your hands in your pockets, handle reading material, etc. Later on you wash your hands but then put them in your pocket for something, handle reading material, etc. So the bacteria transfers, doesn't it?
Old May 18, 2005, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't read all 6 pages of this so I'll just comment based on the OP's initial post.

I think it's completely inappropriate to walk around a plane barefoot.
Old May 19, 2005, 5:52 pm

Pooping on the Plane

To those who find the sight of bare feet offensive: what about plane poopers? I flew AA 19 today from jfk to lax, and at least four times during the flight a pax really stunk up the 767-300 business cabin. It was nast-eee! Stomach-churning, gagging stench. Talk about rude and offensive!
Old May 19, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by scottykempf
On a recent return trip from Hawaii, a girl in the seat behind me put her bare feet on the back of my armrest. Now, she was cute, but I considered it fairly rude on her part. My seat, my armrest, thank you very much.
I had a young guy do this with my arm rest, once. Hello! I do not want to see your bare foot on my arm rest, right behind my elbow. It's disgusting. I'm starting to think more and more people are being raised by wolves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.