FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/3848-consolidated-thread-priority-pass-airport-lounges-through-2012-a.html)

stimpy Mar 4, 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023 (Post 11360788)
Do they really check age?

In my experience, as long as you dress and act as an adult, you will be fine. However there are some places in the US where there has been trouble in the past and they automatically check ID's of everyone. But that is quite rare at an airport club.

TAHKUCT Mar 4, 2009 4:07 pm

Don't you have to show an ID anytime you use your Priority Pass card to enter a lounge? I have to show my ID 100% of the time in order to enter CO lounges.

Diplomatico Mar 4, 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 11361648)
Don't you have to show an ID anytime you use your Priority Pass card to enter a lounge? I have to show my ID 100% of the time in order to enter CO lounges.

Rarely was I asked for an ID. Boarding pass, sometimes, never ID.

TAHKUCT Mar 4, 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11361895)
Rarely was I asked for an ID. Boarding pass, sometimes, never ID.

Interesting. Just looked over T&C and ID is not required:

"12. Admittance to lounges is strictly subject to cardholders and any guests being in possession of a valid flight ticket for the same day of travel. Airline, airport and other travel industry employees traveling on reduced-rate tickets may not be eligible for access. Outside the US, flight tickets must be accompanied by a valid boarding pass for a departing flight, i.e. outbound passengers only. Please note some lounges in Europe are located within designated Schengen areas of the airport which means that access is only provided to these lounges if members are traveling between Schengen countries. (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.)" from T&C @ www.prioritypass.com

stimpy Mar 4, 2009 10:17 pm

I've been to PP lounges on 6 continents and never been asked for an ID.

cph_flyer Mar 4, 2009 11:53 pm

I just recently got a Priority Pass, and have only used it twice so far. At the Admirals lounge in FRA they were very particular about checking ID - had to dig out my passport. But never mind the boarding pass.

thomas199023 Mar 5, 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11360901)
In my experience, as long as you dress and act as an adult, you will be fine. However there are some places in the US where there has been trouble in the past and they automatically check ID's of everyone. But that is quite rare at an airport club.

Ah well I do dress quite formal mostly while travelling. I think I'll just try it and well if I can't get in that isn't a mayor problem.

Thanks for the answers anyway^

cph_flyer Mar 5, 2009 9:06 am

Now I'm only 19 years old, but have my own business and travel quite often.
I saw that quite a lot of the US lounges require that the card holder is 21, why is that?

At least in Europe I don´t think they are particularly concerned about your age. The ID check is merely to insure that you are the legit cardholder. And beeing "only" 19, should not present any problems anyhow.;)

sushibear Mar 5, 2009 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 11361648)

Everytime I've used the Priority Pass card--US or Europe--I have been asked for a photo ID.

Anyone traveling through CDG should check lounge availability to see if their needs will be met. It's the one airport I've been through that has little to nothing to offer the holder of a PP.

Athena53 Mar 5, 2009 2:12 pm

I saw that quite a lot of the US lounges require that the card holder is 21, why is that?

Haven't seen any of the European lounges quoting this on there page.
If you are older than 21 you are allowed to take children (payed) inn. So I don't think its to keep it quiet.

US liquor laws are very strict. If any establishment with a liquor license serves alcohol to someone under 21, they can lose their license. (That would really annoy the customers who are over 21 since no one would get alcohol!) I've never seen self-service liquor in a US club, but their reasoning may be that if you're with your parents, the parents will make sure they don't get alcohol and the bartenders won't have to ask anyone for proof of age if they appear young. (There's little to prevent Mom from getting a beer and handing it to 18-year old son, but maybe the operators of the club feel that's not their problem.)

I get asked for photo ID and my Boarding Pass every time, but it's not to check my age since I'm 56.

smcgrath12 Mar 6, 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by abfab (Post 10428544)
You do need to be flying actually, even if the lounge is landside.

One of the conditions for lounge access on PP is that admittance to lounges is strictly subject to cardholders and any guests being in possession of a valid flight ticket for the same day of travel.

What is stopping folks from buying a 1-way fully refundable fare, checking in online, going to airport without any bags (and if security is not tardy, like at small airports), stroll into lounges on PP, have a nice evening of free drinks and heading out again and cancelling the refundable fare? I am sure thats "within the T&C".

powlan Mar 6, 2009 7:55 pm

I fly quite a lot in Europe, and about once a year all over the US. I can get a priority pass from my dad who is going to sign up for a AMEX PLAT.

Haven't seen any of the European lounges quoting this on there page.
If you are older than 21 you are allowed to take children (payed) inn. So I don't think its to keep it quiet.

I've used the PP many times over the years and have never once been asked for proof of age. On the other hand I'm 64.

sushibear Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I have always assumed that the ID check was a way of checking that I was indeed the holder of the card.

Seat 2A Mar 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Many NW Worldclubs have self service beer and spirits.

mvtm Mar 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi.
I've been using it since 4 years ago.It comes bundled with my credit card each year.I generally don't stick to one airline or the another so it comes handy. Lounges theirselves are generic & basic ones. Though, i have to admit not all. The program can have very good lounges.

Last year at MMMX i had the chance to enter every airline lounge just by presenting my PP.UA,AA,MX & AM.So yep, you can have some surprises.It's not just generic ones, but can enter airline's sometimes.

MAD lounges at T4 are superb.I don't remember the name... but i got personalized attention. The lady taking care of the lounge even went to the kitchen and cooked me some delicious food. :eek:

Plus, it's nice to bring one guest for free.
Of course not Thai,Qantas,Singapore.. but its much better than waiting at the gate.

mvtm Mar 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by cph_flyer (Post 11365276)
At least in Europe I don´t think they are particularly concerned about your age. The ID check is merely to insure that you are the legit cardholder. And beeing "only" 19, should not present any problems anyhow.;)

I agree.I just turned 20 and have been using PP since quite a few years ago. They never refused me allowance.As a side note of this, most of the time i was traveling with my parents. But, the few times i've travelled alone i haven't had any issue with this.I'm a proper cardholder and i DO look younger than 20.So far nothing has happened. Never had a problem. :D

cph_flyer Mar 24, 2009 6:10 am

Question regarding lounge access in Düsseldorf Int:

There are Priority Pass lounges located in terminal B and C. However my flight is departing from A ! Once through security , is it then possible to get to lounges in either B or C ?

abfab Mar 24, 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by cph_flyer (Post 11464686)
Question regarding lounge access in Düsseldorf Int:

Thare are Priority Pass lounges located in terminal B and C. However my flight is departing from A ! Once through security , is it then possible to get to lounges in either B or C ?

Sorry, no it's not possible.

cph_flyer Mar 24, 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by abfab (Post 11465440)
Sorry, no it's not possible.

Ok, thanks for the info !

hjboudre Jul 6, 2009 9:57 am

What does everybody think of Delta/Northwest pulling out of the program???

Delta/Northwest have unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective
1 September 2009. If traveling beyond that date, be sure to select another lounge as you’ll find other lounge partners who will continue to welcome Priority Pass members at most of the affected airports. We remain committed to finding alternative lounge partners in the US and around the world to provide the most comprehensive lounge access program.

TAHKUCT Jul 6, 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by hjboudre (Post 12019793)
Delta/Northwest have unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective
1 September 2009. If traveling beyond that date, be sure to select another lounge as you’ll find other lounge partners who will continue to welcome Priority Pass members at most of the affected airports. We remain committed to finding alternative lounge partners in the US and around the world to provide the most comprehensive lounge access program.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you please point out the source of this info? Thanks.

stimpy Jul 6, 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 12020010)
Thanks for the heads up. Can you please point out the source of this info? Thanks.

It's on the Priority Pass website provided you have a login.

But it's no big deal to me, cause my Amex will get me in anyways. As will my Skyteam Elite Plus membership. And then there is the fact that I rarely ever fly those airlines!

stimpy Jul 6, 2009 10:52 am

I just noticed for the first time, that when you log in to the PP website that it says The Collinson Group LTD. Is this news? Was PP acquired?

stimpy Jul 6, 2009 10:54 am

And FWIW here are the new lounges that have just been added...

DURHAM (UK) - Servisair Lounge at Tees ValleyInternational
KOŠICE (Slovak Republic) - Airport Lounge at Kosice International

and back in May

FLORIANÓPOLIS (Brazil) - TAM VIP Lounge at Hercílio Luz International
NEW DELHI (India) - Plaza Premium Lounge at Indira Gandhi International
SAL ISLAND (Cape Verde) - Safeport Business Aviation Lounge at Amílcar Cabral International
ST. PETERSBURG (Russia) - Pulkovo Lounge at Pulkovo International
ST. PETERSBURG (Russia) - St. Petersburg Lounge at Pulkovo International
TRIESTE (Italy) - FVG VIP Lounge at Friuli Venezia Giulia International
ZURICH (Switzerland) - Swiss Lounge B22-29 at Zurich International

And back in April...

BUDAPEST (Hungary) - Sky Lounge at Ferihegy
DUBROVNIK (Croatia) - Business Lounge at Cilipi-Konavle
FUZHOU (China) - First Class Lounge at Changle International
FUZHOU (China) - First Class Lounge at Changle Domestic
GENEVA (Switzerland) - Swiss Business Class Lounge at Cointrin
MANCHESTER (UK) - The Escape Lounge at Manchester International
MUMBAI (India) - Clipper Lounge at Chattrapathi Shivaji International
MUMBAI (India) - Clipper Bar Lounge at Chattrapathi Shivaji International
NEW YORK (USA) - Swiss Lounge at J.F.K International
TORONTO (Canada) - Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Lounge) at Lester B. Pearson International

oopsz Jul 6, 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 12020065)
But it's no big deal to me, cause my Amex will get me in anyways. As will my Skyteam Elite Plus membership. And then there is the fact that I rarely ever fly those airlines!

Still, there are a lot of airlines where the NW/DL lounges were the easiest or most convenient, or where it was nice to have choice. Now there's no lounge available domestically in ORD - only the swiss lounge in the international terminal, and no lounges at all at washington dulles.

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 12020081)
And FWIW here are the new lounges that have just been added...

TORONTO (Italy) - Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Lounge) at Lester B. Pearson International

Toronto Pearson is in Canada.

stimpy Jul 6, 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 12020518)
Toronto Pearson is in Canada.

Thanks, I know Pearson, but I didn't think I had to proofread the text on the PP website. :rolleyes:

hjboudre Jul 8, 2009 9:03 am

It's a huge deal to me, since I fly a lot of Delta routes but not enough to get a status upgrade yet. I loved the flexibility of the program before, but now I may have to look into getting an Amex Platinum next year and cancelling my PP membership. Very disappointed.

Athena53 Jul 8, 2009 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 12020010)

I got their usual monthly e-mail and I think the top item was the addition of a lounge in Ulan Bator, Mongolia's airport. I totally missed the wording above on Delta because it was buried at the bottom of the e-mail. Guess they thought the addition of a lounge in Mongolia would be more relevant to their average member.

skierpony Jul 8, 2009 11:46 am

I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed by this! Most of the US airports I fly through are NW/DL routes and after taking a quick look through most domestic terminals in the US, it seems a good portion of PP lounges are NW/DL. I am just a lowly NW Silver, but fly enough all over on other airlines, so I don't have enough for FF lounge access.

Does anyone have any inside info on why this is happening and whether it is on the PP side, or the airline side? I feel like I just lost the value of my membership, unless they have some trick up their sleeve to replace all of these!

roots Jul 8, 2009 5:56 pm

IASS / Priority Pass lounge location @ NRT T2?

My parents are flying JL next month and they'll have about 10 hours layover at NRT T2. They have Priority Pass memberships.

However according to the info I gathered from Priority Pass website, the IASS lounge at T2 is located outside of the secure area. Is this correct? So does this mean that transiting pax will need to go through immigration to use the lounge?

Any info will be appreciated. TIA.

victormc Jul 8, 2009 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by roots (Post 12035131)
My parents are flying JL next month and they'll have about 10 hours layover at NRT T2. They have Priority Pass memberships.

However according to the info I gathered from Priority Pass website, the IASS lounge at T2 is located outside of the secure area. Is this correct? So does this mean that transiting pax will need to go through immigration to use the lounge?

Any info will be appreciated. TIA.

It is located in T2 main building 4th floor. Check this URL for map and details. Not too sure if it is outside secure area but there is a phone number at this link where you can call the lounge to find out for sure. Hope that helps

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid.../61_t2_4f.html

danielonn Aug 6, 2009 11:37 pm

Priority Pass dropping DL now what?

With Delta SkyClubs officially ending their agreement with PP on September 1st I was wondering if anyone here knows what lounges they will offer to make up for this loss.

Why can't the Bank of America Accolades Credit card pick up the SkyClubs on September 1st to make up to their valued private bankers?

Would American Admirals Club add all of there lounges like at SJC?

Any speculations would be most appreciative.

Eastbay1K Aug 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Question from transition from Accolades free membership to paid membership

My relationship with BofA is probably going to end soon. I have no use whatsoever for the Accolades CC but for the free PP. I find that the PP works pretty well for me, and am willing to pay, preferably one of the discounted promos going on (for unlimited visits).

(1) Will they let me do this, as an existing member (the discount)?
(2) My PP expiration date is later than my Accolades renewal date - will they start the paid year when the free term expires? (The CC backing the free term will probably be gone before the end of the term.)
(3) Anything else I haven't thought of?

stimpy Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 12206547)
(3) Anything else I haven't thought of?

If you get the Amex Centurion (or maybe the Platinum?) card you get free unlimited PP usage. But I would only do that if you get significant benefit from the other value that these cards bring.

seaskybound Aug 11, 2009 2:53 am

Is dropping these DL/NW clubs reason to ask to refund card?

On a pro-rata basis?

I think PP managment really messed up in their orignal agreement at such a short cancelation period.

GenevaFlyer Aug 11, 2009 4:21 am

Hi seaskybound,

Originally Posted by seaskybound (Post 12207095)
I think PP managment really messed up in their orignal agreement at such a short cancelation period.

I don't think we can say that. It may have been that DL informed PP months ago, but that PP tried to renegotiate this cancellation for a very long time ... don't give up on a deal until the fat lady sings.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

seaskybound Aug 11, 2009 4:53 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer (Post 12207222)
Hi seaskybound,

I don't think we can say that. It may have been that DL informed PP months ago, but that PP tried to renegotiate this cancellation for a very long time ... don't give up on a deal until the fat lady sings.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

In reality we don't know who negotiated what etc. I do know that 2-3 months of notice for such a monumental change is bad business management. 1 thing is for sure they did not negotiate a "1 yr pre-notification before dropping clause" from DL.

scubadiver Aug 11, 2009 11:38 am

IAD is my home airport. I will not be renewing, nor will Mrs. Scubadiver. We have been PP fans from the very beginning. We have maintained membership even in years we don't travel much. Coffee and a bagel starting a trip and a clean restroom on return meant so much.

ayg Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

I'm cancelling mine when it comes up for renewal this coming spring. Its gone from convenient to useless with the removal of DL/NW clubs. Unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat and add all domestic AA clubs its over...

Guess I shouldn't have cancelled that Plat Amex which is probably much more difficult to get back lately compared to when I was offered it a few years ago.

kanerf Sep 7, 2009 8:47 am

I just renewed last month and contacted PP and asked if I could cancel. They said that I could and I will probably take them up on it. I get a free lowball PP card with one of CC anyway, the one where you have to pay for every access. I was really waiting to see what they would do. My RCC card is due for renewal at the end of next month and if PP were to add more of the RCCs, such as IAD and LAX, where I transit most frequently, it would be a viable option. Otherwise, I will drop the thing. I am UA PE, so I get international Star Alliance anyway.