FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/3848-consolidated-thread-priority-pass-airport-lounges-through-2012-a.html)

MileCrazy Aug 11, 1998 12:29 pm

Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012]

has anybody had any experience with priority pass? it's an agreement with several airlines (tw, nw, co, hp, etc.) to allow members to use any club in the program for a yearly fee of about $300. my twa ambassador and delta crown room memberships are up for renewal, and this may be a more economically efficient membership to have (major drawback -- priority pass members cannot bring in guests without paying an exorbitant "visit fee", but my business travel is mostly just by myself anyway, so it's not a big problem for me).

Rudi Aug 11, 1998 4:03 pm

I am a member of IAPA (International Airlines Passanger Association). They offer Priority-pass-memberships (I didn't sign) for a lot less - but if I remember correctly the charge for each visit/person would be US$25.

May be the program you can sign is different (free visits, but high membership fee).

When travelling business (or first) with airlines from places were they don't run their own lounge - you often get free vouchers to visit (neutral) clubs which are also open for priority pass members.

dansil Aug 11, 1998 6:13 pm

I think that Northwest, Continental, and possibly others use to allow passengers entry to their lounges when they presented an American Express Platinum card. The membership fee on the card was $300 per year.
Hopefully, someone else has information on this and can add to this post.

Beckles Aug 12, 1998 6:56 am

One of the many benefits of the AMEX Platinum Card is free access to NW and CO clubs on day of flight. The annual fee for the card is $300, but there are many other benefits also, including:

* Free membership points membership ($25 value or so)
* Free membership in Hertz #1 Club Gold ($50 value or so)
* Free membership in Budget Express ($50 value or so)
* Free membership in National Emerald Club ($50 value or so)
* Concierge and other travel services
* Special events for Platinum members

And all sorts of other good stuff. It's expensive, but if you use the benefits, it can definitely be worth it.

Rudi Aug 13, 1998 11:19 am

taken from the 98 IAPA (Internat. Airline Passengers Assoc.):

- access to over 200 airport VIP Lounges
- pay (incl. 25% IAPA discount) $75 or £50/year
- plus $21 or £14 per person/visit (one guest allowed)

I am a (basic) member of IAPA; I like their engagement in safety issues and sometimes I can use their hotel-guide with special discounts. I don't buy any of their insurancies.

IAPA: www.iapa.co.uk

MileCrazy Aug 13, 1998 11:39 am

thanx, rudi. i will try out priority pass for one year since i plan on being in many airports in the next 12 months where twa and delta don't have clubs, and priority pass associates do (i.e., bangkok, frankfurt, and tel aviv). when i find out how well (or how bad) the pass works, i'll post a, uh, post here on "the buzz". thanx again.

Catman Sep 15, 2000 2:26 pm

It has come to my attention I was supposed to do a review of Priority Club and didn't. SO here's how I feel about the program.

Well I have renewed Priority Pass for another year. Philforest signed me up for the program and I have to say while I don't use it much it's a nice back-up program for when you go to an airprot that doesn't have your primary airline's club.

This link from an article I did for www.pinkonline.com could explain things in basic terms:
http://www.pinkonline.com/article/20...airclubs.shtml

I do the 99 dollar a year membership. with this membership YOU ALSO MUST PAY A $21 DOLLAR PER ENTRY FEE. You can bring in yourself and one guest.

SInce I already have a Red Carpet Club membership this suits my needs best. I think I use it like 5-6 times a year. It's especially great at LAS when I can get into the American West Lounge.

If you don't fly a lot this also could be a nice investment as well. At least to get away from the crowds at the gate.

I wish Priority Club would get one more big airline like American or Continental. It's nice to have DELTA on the program, although at the Atlanta airport you have to make sure you use the RIGHT lounge!

mmackin Sep 15, 2000 3:05 pm

Ok, here's a question for you. I've never been in an Airline Lounge/Club before. I'm not a business traveler. I have been curious what exactly is in the Lounges? Food, Drinks, etc...? I'm just a bit curious.

MD Sep 15, 2000 3:17 pm

It varies greatly but the basics are:

1) Comfy chairs
2) Desks to do work at, with Card swipe phones
3) Snacks
4) Beverages - many US lounges charge for alcohol, but elsewhere (Canada, Europe) they are free
5) Televisions, CD players, etc
6) Free newspapers and magazines

Other amenities sometimes include internet access, massage chairs, etc.

They are usually an oasis of calm in an other wise hectic airport.

Hope that this helps to explain the attarction of the lounges.

MRLIMO Sep 15, 2000 3:18 pm

mmackin, the following link may answer many of your questions and offer some general information. Take a look at a Continental Airlines President Club, including a 360 degree Virtual Tour.
https://www.onepass.com/presclub.htm

[This message has been edited by MRLIMO (edited 09-15-2000).]

speedbird001 Sep 15, 2000 3:31 pm

I have been a member for years. It is handy for those awful times when you are stuck in a horrible airport overseas, flight is seriously delayed and you want access to a club. There is a charge for each club entry in addition to the annual fee.

------------------
speedbird001

The Viking Sep 15, 2000 5:33 pm

I've been a member now for approx. 2 years at the m'ship level where I do not have to pay an entrance fee (Thank you Amex Centurion), and have also tried different other lounges. The PP- facilities in general are not the the most lavish around, both when it comes to facilities and food/drinks, but the staff seems eager to please.
In Europe a lot of the clubs are the same ones provided by DC, so do look this up before you sign up for PP!

ROADRUNNER Sep 15, 2000 5:57 pm

I enjoy the Lounges when I am on a 1st class NW flight. But recently, I was at the DTW airport lounge, when a robust guy sitting across from me put his BARE feet on the cocktail table, which was rather close! His wife took her shoes off also.

It was one of those times, that I gave the 'what' LQQK! Disapproving as possible.

Catman Sep 16, 2000 6:36 am

Remember, every club will be different with different ammenities, different services, different sizes (some are smaller than my apartment!)

But for a little investment they are so worth it. Again, if only to escape the crowds and the screaming around the airports.

Another good thing: As suggested by our Friend Rudi, if you see someone outside a club who looks stressed or in need of help who doesn't have a membership, bring them in as your guests on yours. It's what I like to call the International Traveler Goodwill
Pact (travelers help each other.)

One thing I wish my company would do is allow me to pay for my Red Carpet Club membership. I have been fighting since Wanderlust talked me into an RCC membership to get it paid for.
I am told "It's a frivilous expense."

Catman Sep 16, 2000 6:37 am

Remember, every club will be different with different ammenities, different services, different sizes (some are smaller than my apartment!)

But for a little investment they are so worth it. Again, if only to escape the crowds and the screaming around the airports.

Another good thing: As suggested by our Friend Rudi, if you see someone outside a club who looks stressed or in need of help who doesn't have a membership, bring them in as your guests on yours. It's what I like to call the International Traveler Goodwill
Pact (travelers help each other.)

One thing I wish my company would do is allow me to pay for my Red Carpet Club membership. I have been fighting since Wanderlust talked me into an RCC membership to get it paid for.
I am told "It's a frivilous expense."

Vulcan Sep 16, 2000 7:57 am

All clubs are different! One big difference is free alcohol in some, which may or may not be a big factor, depending on the individual. I know that CO, NW, and HP are in the free alcohol group. I'm not sure about the others, but I believe you haveto pay at UA and DL.

globalstar Sep 16, 2000 9:55 am

Free alcohol at Delta Crown Room Clubs, Continental President's Clubs, Northwest World Clubs, and America West Clubs.

You must pay at many other places, including American Admiral's Club, United Red Carpet Club, US Airways Club, etc. If you are on a int'l First or Biz, the lounge receptionist will often give you vouchers for free drinks. Sometimes they'll date them, but usually they don't, so you can use them whenever.

Non-alcoholic beverages are universally free.

Roger Sep 17, 2000 3:40 am

My PP subscription is included in my Amex Platinum Card subscription - free entrance for me, £15 charge for guests.

Advantages:
1. gives extra choice of lounges when travelling premium - especially useful when some lounges such as BA get very full;
2. gives access to lounges when travelling economy;
3. (for UK cardholders at least) gives access to lounges of Virgin, TWA, British Midland and Eurostar rail when using those services, no matter what class of travel.

Disadvantages:
1. variable quality - some excellent, others less so;
2. no PP lounges in Australia!

ScottC Sep 17, 2000 7:39 am

If you're going to get prioroty pass I'd advise you to get the unlimited version, this way you don't pay for each lounge visit, do be aware that I've seen priority pass members been sent away at lounges because of "capacity restricions"

JerryFF Sep 17, 2000 10:49 am

You can get the unlimited Priority Pass for $225 a year instead of $295 a year by mentioned the Bestfares.com discount.

[This message has been edited by JerryFF (edited 09-17-2000).]

lonman Sep 18, 2000 9:15 am

I LOVE PRIORITY PASS!!

i bought the $229 unlimited use program, and thus far i have used it 43 times. that comes to $5.33 a visit so far, and i still have about 50k flight miles left for the year. so, in most airpot bars, that is easily the cost of one cocktail, plus you get newspapers, tv, and in some internet usage, and food. best deal on the planet i think, as one airline program club room membership costs about the same. the one missing thing is no coverage in australia.

best locations:

1. hkg - 5 internet terminals, 4 massaging chairs, and a vip room with dvd player. this is also the lounge than many flyertalkers have mentioned has a spa for live massage, but i didn't utilize those facilities.

2. ams - has 5 lounges, but my favorite is the aerogroundservices executive lounge in f/g. it is very quiet, and has very nice furnishings. also acceptable is the lounge in b/c which is shared with british midland. i don't like the lounge in terminal d. i hate those highback chairs. and cocktails are limited to beer and wine.

3. kul - 3 internet terminals, comfy couches, english breakfast buffet. also has buiness center, and exclusive business first lounge, which has restricted admission. can be an extremely quiet respite, in a pretty quiet airport.

[This message has been edited by lonman (edited 09-18-2000).]

mrichmond Sep 22, 2000 8:15 am

I too have the unlimited visits version of Priority Pass and love it. I paid the full $295 for it, but even that is less than most single airline club memberships. They've just added US Airways lounges to the growing list, including Northwest, TWA, and Delta (except certain lounges at Delta hubs). The card works great at my main airport (PHL) b/c I can get into the USAirways (terminal B & C), Delta (terminal E), and Northwest (terminal E) clubs.

I've never been turned away b/c of capacity restrictions and would think that would be some sort of breach of the agreement that PP would have with the club. If that happened to me, I'd call PP about it and complain!

I'm not sure if there are any benefits you get with a normal club membership (those that participate) that you don't get with this. I've even been able to check-in at a club just like a "normal" member would. One thing is that you must pay for any guest you bring in. I believe the fee is $21.

I think this membership is worth its weight in gold. And no, I don't work for the company. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

geo1004 Sep 22, 2000 10:19 am

Originally posted by mrichmond:
I've never been turned away b/c of capacity restrictions and would think that would be some sort of breach of the agreement that PP would have with the club. If that happened to me, I'd call PP about it and complain!

I'd just nod and go stand just inside the door. As soon as someone left, I'd return to the agent and re-show my card. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif They would be pretty hard pressed to admit another guest "in front of you" as well.

Priority Pass seems to get rave reviews. I will probably go for it after my US Airways Club membership expires in January.

HK-UMICH Sep 22, 2000 10:50 am

Unlimited entry comes with my Standard Chartered Plat Card.
Adv:
No matter class of service and airlines
Choices of lounge at large airports

Con:
Need to know which lounge is in the problem in advance since clubs will not have a poster saying "PP"
If there is only 1/2 lounges at that airport you may need to walk a long distance (e.g. if in ORD, from AA's gate to DL crown club may take 10mins!!)

But I loved it since basically it is free to me (my Dad paid card's fee)

High Life Sep 22, 2000 2:30 pm

I have been a Red Carpet member for the last 6 yrs and was surprised at the Miami RCL, they offered a complimentary, self-serve bar.
Is this unique to Miami? I had not expereinced it in any other domestic RCL.

ginadc Feb 16, 2001 8:32 am

Ionman, Mrichmond, and anyone else who's used Priority Pass and/or other "alternative" (not directly sponsored by the airline) lounge pass programs, like American Express and Diner's Club: would you be interested in doing a short phone interview about your experiences? I'm a freelance writer working on an article about alternative airport club programs for a Web-based travel magazine. If you'd like to tell me what you think, please e-mail me at [email protected] and we can set up a time to talk. I'm hoping to get interviews done by no later than the morning of Wednesday, Feb. 21. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!

lonman Feb 18, 2001 11:11 am

this year, i switched from priority pass to an iapa gold membership. it is $299, and includes a reservationss service, travel agent, as well as the unlimited priority pass membership. in addition, for us based members, it contains a travel insurance policy.

i stumbled onto iapa via some internet offer. i got a trial membership from the london office, and saw that if i joined i could also get pp, so i called and told them i was up for renewal. they then switched me to the dallas office, where membership fees for us residents were different (aka - better). the major difference is the insurance option available to foregin residents as a paid add-on, comes with a basic package for us members. it is something like $325K for accidental flight death, $50K for injury etc. this plus the travel agent, and potential hotel discounts shocked me because the $299 price is the same as the new priority pass membership. i wondered how it was possible to give that plus the added benefits.

the kicker is, iapa and priority pass are owned by the smae company. when i called dallas to join iapa, they just linked my pp account to my iapa, as they had the ability since they are divisions of the same organization. i haven't benefitted from any hotel discounts as of yet, but there are special offers posted for hotel stays within a two week window. i'll probably use one of the member hotels when i head to sydney nexy week.

check it out at www.iapa.com.

[This message has been edited by lonman (edited 02-18-2001).]

svpii Feb 18, 2001 1:49 pm

I believe this would have real value internationally. I only fly domestically http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif, and too many of the places I fly into only have a PP lounge in a single terminal - and from my investigation, it's not likely that it's the terminal I would be flying into. That would be OK for the long layover, but I try not to have too many of those. So for the 90 minute layover, it's too much of a drag to schlep to another terminal, find the lounge, and then have 20 minutes before I have to reverse the process.

pegasus8228 Feb 18, 2001 3:10 pm

Originally posted by HK-UMICH:
Unlimited entry comes with my Standard Chartered Plat Card.
Adv:
No matter class of service and airlines
Choices of lounge at large airports

Con:
Need to know which lounge is in the problem in advance since clubs will not have a poster saying "PP"
If there is only 1/2 lounges at that airport you may need to walk a long distance (e.g. if in ORD, from AA's gate to DL crown club may take 10mins!!)

But I loved it since basically it is free to me (my Dad paid card's fee)

i have one of those cards, but i seldom use it since my ticket/tier now get me lounge access in most places. but they are useful in US since i only have AC access due to my BA/CX tiers

1. good for most CO/DL/US lounges in US
2. for smaller airports, just try your luck, most of the time if there is one lounge, it is the one. A couple times in beijing, i got a business lounge access from the airline, but PP get me into the F-class lounge

3. they have a web-site, u can log in and/or download a pdf file of the most recent partner list.
(but you need to email them for a password to log in though)

Goldlust Feb 18, 2001 3:16 pm

First I thought the IAPA hotel discounts where bogus - and it's true that sometimes you DO get better rates from the hotel itself. However, I am staying a couple of nights at Ramada Inn Vancouver Center for CAD69. That's a special rate from IAPA. When I called the hotel itself, the best they could give me was CAD99. So sometimes it's nice!

ahrz Feb 19, 2001 9:04 am

GoldLust,

Have a look at : www.hrs.com

I get sometimes better rates than those from IAPA !

PAUL PALMER Feb 19, 2001 9:54 am

Like Roger I use the PP card, and get if free through Amex Plat. I pay £14 per visit , and that covers a guest! I thought that I would get to pay £28 for two. It is ideal if you are travelling through Stanstead on Go or Buzz, or through various European airports where loung access is tight (Linate for example). If I am with BA I use their lounge, but as Roger points out they are sometimes packed.

lonman Feb 20, 2001 11:12 am

us based airlines that participate are us, dl, nw and tw. since that is 4 of the 7 majors, that's pretty good coverage. and considering it is about the same price as just joining one club, it's not a bad deal at all. of course, it may be moot sooner rather than later.

NoahVail Feb 21, 2001 9:53 am

What would make it moot?

pyramid Feb 22, 2001 12:59 am

Does US Plat. offer PP free as well?

TravelManKen Feb 22, 2001 7:20 am

I really don't see the logic in buying a priority club pass when you still have to pay a $21/entry fee. Just decide with whom you'll do the majority of your travel and join that club and use their partners.

i.e.: Join United Red Carpet/Delta Crown Club and you can use either membership for club entry.

NW, CO & HP all swap entry into their clubs.

You can also use your membership at int'l partner clubs: Lufthansa for United, British Airways for HP, etc.

EPS Feb 22, 2001 1:45 pm

There are two membership plans: "Standard" $99/year+$24/visit -or- "Prestige" $295/year with unlimited use (but $24/visit for each guest who accompanies you).

The "logic" depends on things like whether
  • you have a preferred airline
  • you make your own travel arrangements
  • you travel alone
  • you connect through particular airports
  • you usually travel on discounted economy fares or full fare first
  • your travel is primarily domestic or international
  • you are a mid-tier or top-tier elite in some carrier's frequent flyer program
  • you have a Diners Club card
  • you want specific features, such as wireless Internet access
  • you (or someone else) is picking up the fees

Also, $299/year for IAPA Gold membership gives you other benefits besides Priority Pass lounge access.

fabricoftruth Oct 19, 2005 11:29 am

Priority Pass Consolidated thread

I was thinking of buying the priority pass - every post that has some reference to it basically says what they have on their website. I was wondering if anyone here has USED it and knows how well it works.

Main concern: are they accepted as often as the PP folks claim on their website? Also, would you know if these get you into the better lounges in airports if there are multiple?

Thanks,
FoT.

jaylenofan86 Oct 19, 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by fabricoftruth
I was thinking of buying the priority pass - every post that has some reference to it basically says what they have on their website. I was wondering if anyone here has USED it and knows how well it works.

Main concern: are they accepted as often as the PP folks claim on their website? Also, would you know if these get you into the better lounges in airports if there are multiple?

Thanks,
FoT.

Trust me, it does work. I use it all the time I travel! No problems with it what so ever! :D

ramraideruk Oct 19, 2005 11:35 am

I've never had problems using it. Make sure you bring your book along, listing the lounge you want to use.
FYI I found quite a few of the lounges in the UK to be VERY basic.