Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FTers who fly for work -- what kind of job do you have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTers who fly for work -- what kind of job do you have?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You will find additional answers to your question about what kinds of businesses FlyerTalk members own and/or operate in The FlyerTalk Business Exchange Forum thread, plinko.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supply chain or logistics can be a good area for a travelling job. I work in international supply chain for a major UK retailer - the travel from that normally gets me 200K a year, plenty of which is longhaul. I've been doing this for 2.5 years and the enjoyment is starting to wear thin now.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Nothing fancy

I work in the aviation safety business. I design 3D synthetic environments that pilots use as visual reference when in a simulator for training. I don't get to travel that often on business but I have been a few cool places and get to do things other people don't. Had some fun riding on the roof of a fire engine at FNC, flown on a E3D awacs out of RAF waddington, running around taximats at FNC, ABZ, ORD. I stupidly turned down a trip to KUL but I may be off to casablanca, marrakesh and agadir sometime soon.

I do fly once a month to the US for leisure to see my girlfriend though so I do spend time in aircraft and convincing immigration that I really have no intention of staying illegally or finding work.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I work for one of the "Big 4" as a consultant. Mainly working with the tax department with process improvement and designing and implementing data warehousing solutions specifically for the tax department. Since there are only 20 of us in the company we travel global and domestic, though the majority of the work is US domestic. We are hiring. I have been on the bench for the last 3 weeks and I think my body is missing the altitude and cabin pressure of the plane. So far this year I have logged 150K in airline flight miles.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
International Money Management

I'm part-owner of a small investment management firm that specializes in international (non-U.S.) stocks. I travel for client meetings, marketing prospects, conferences and mileage runs (sometimes linked with a biz trip).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:17 am

VP - International Sales for a company that manufactures food merchandisers. (Bakery, deli, sushi pizza cases).

We have customers in the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia.

I love what I do, my customers and where I travel.

My family enjoys the perks of my travel.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:58 pm

Auditor - I travel over 30% of the time and with sarbanes-Oxley I see myself traveling more. And as one previous Flyer posted either you love it, learn to tolerate it, or it eats you alive.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
We manufacture structural steel tubing for everything from trailer hitches to building columns. I'm covering 4 west coast states and travel every third or every other week, out Tuesday home Friday afternoon. I fly almost 100 k a year and still love it after almost 3 years.
Can be tough on the family, but the benefits still outweigh the negatives.

Gary
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:56 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Wow, i forgot all about this thread.

I do project work/client relationship management for a telecomm supplier. I am handling 4 clients at the moment. 2 in Europe, 1 Asia, 1 Africa.

I hate to be stuck in the office in USA, but the travel is killing me. All in coach. up to 23 hours one way (to Indonesia).

It's damned if you do and damned if you don't with respect to travel.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:14 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Architecture / Design

I design 4 and 5 star hotels. Travel patterns change depending on your client. In the past 12 months for work I have taken 18 trips:

15 domestic (all in coach since under 3 hours)
3 to Asia (all in business class)

Most of the firms work is currently in Asia. About half the firm travels regularly.

We and almost all design firms with a focus on Hospitality are hiring.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do two things right now, both related. I do consulting personally, that is through my own solo firm, on sales and marketing issues.

I also am co-founder of a consulting startup that helps large companies make more money from their existing customers through upselling and retention. Cable companies, banks, etc. are our target clients. My goal is to build a real business independent of my own individual efforts.

I fly for my work but I also take a train
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:55 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Originally Posted by gnedge
I work in sales for a large software company. When selling software to large corporate customers, there are three main people involved - Account Managers, who manage relationships, Soultions people who delve into business problems and make suggestions and me, the technical sales person that knows how the software actually works.

I work in our Media and Entertainment division and fly between JFK-LAX at least once a week visiting customers and keeping the sales guys honest.

I should also add that hnechets has a valid point above in that having a job like this makes it extremely difficult to work a "regular" job. Occasionally, I'll have a full week at "home" and I'm at a loss as to what to do with my time. I'll never be able to work a 9-5 job after doing this.

Absolutely. I gave up a job where I was good for +50K a year travelling to zilch three years ago. Sitting behind a desk when you are used to the freedom and fun of being out there is the worst.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HHonors Diamond
IT Project Manager -- Currently responsible for deploying enterprise technology to our branch offices across the U.S. Project launched in March '04 and we are currently finished with 45 out of 75 offices. Project will conclude in March '05.

After getting a late start, I'm closing in on 100K for the year. I typically spend 3 days on the road, and 1 day in the office per week. And that 1 day in the office is hell on me.

My travelling heyday will soon come to an end, but I'll jump on something else.

Last edited by robputnam; Dec 8, 2004 at 6:06 pm
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:39 pm

I fly for work...as a flight nurse on a helicopter air ambulance. Don't get any FF miles
So all my miles are either the occasional conference, pleasure, or a rare training elsewhere or vendor visit.

Hiring? Sure, but first you have to get your RN, at least 5 years of high acuity ER and Critical care experience. And along the way pick up a ton of supplementrary certifications, most as a provider and instructor. It's very competitive. Then make it through multiple rounds of interviews, and an extensive probationary period. And you can't get airsick.

Originally Posted by plinko
And more importantly, are you hiring?

My employer flew me to Southern California for a conference this last spring and I was ecstatic. I like my current job, but would also like to think about career options in terms of jobs that would give me some frequent travel!
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:48 am

Field rep for a franchisor. We have 450 stores worldwide and I support 30+ in Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska and New York. 50% travel and getting a little sick of it into my fourth year with the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.