Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 7:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I need my previous passports for this one..currently I am in Thailand..on my way to Cambodia and Laos..I'll report back when my brain is fully functional..but I do have a fair amount to add to this list. Afghanistan.Iraq,Iran, Bhutan,Tibet,Burma,India, SIN., Japan,Columbia,Ecuador,Peru,Malyasia,Surinam.Guyan a,Guiana,assorted EU nations ....

------------------
MRKEY
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:22 am

How about:
Australia
Tasmania(I know it's part of Australia but it's 500 miles from the mainland)
New Zealand
Mexico
United States
Canada
Panama
Bahamas
US Virgin Islands
Bermuda
France
England
Scotland
Netherlands
Jamaica

Wow, only 14? I thought it was more!
Oh well, not bad for a guy from Tennessee.

Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Tasmania (I know it's part of Australia but it's 500 miles from the mainland)</font>
500 miles and 500 YEARS away. Sorry, a non PC local joke.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:32 pm

Programs: All over the place now.
Well, I'll list mine anyway. I'm not ashamed...it just means I have so many new places I can still visit!

US
Canada
Russia
Israel
Egypt
Cyprus
Chile

Edited to add: Austria (I ended up not going anywhere else from there but enjoyed myself!)

On a side note to ozstamps...I understand what you are saying about the century club. I read about them and they count what they consider to be a seperate geographical or political region. I kind of see why since those places can often be more difficult to get to. Plus, I'd get to count Alaska! lol It's kind of weird that they count a fuel stop though. I can see the port of call because at least you explore a little.

Well, I guess it's all in the spirit of the rules you choose to follow. If they are really as snooty as the poster suggested, I'd rather just keep my own list anyway! Or share it with fellow flyertalkers!

Anyway, just the opinion of a relatively inexperienced traveler that should be taken as such!

[This message has been edited by stef315 (edited 03-21-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 2002, 1:31 pm
Suspended

&lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsdown.gif"&gt;

Canada
India
Singapore
U.K
U.S.A

---So many countries so little time...

[This message has been edited by debo_nair (edited 09-18-2002).]
Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:32 pm

Does Manhattan qualify as a country?

I am still 5 or so short of 100 countries when I follow the above suggested list. I have, however, not counted Russia twice (East and West) as done there. Also, I have been to 43 of the US states, and 13 dependencies and territories (again, in accordance with the suggested list). Transits in Djibouti, Zimbabwe, former Zaire, Cape Verde, and some other places are not listed.

Here are "my" countries:

Andorra-Antigua-Argentina-Australia-Austria-Bahamas-Bahrein-Belgium-Botswana-Brazil-Canada-China-Costa Rica-Cote d'Ivoire-Croatia (when it was Yugoslavia)-Cuba-Czech Republic (when it was Czechoslovakia)-Denmark-Dominican Republic-Fiji-Finland-France-Gambia-Germany-Greece-Hungary-Iceland-India-Indonesia-Iran-Ireland-Israel-Italy-Japan-Kenya-Korea, South-Kuwait-Lesotho-Liberia-Liechtenstein-Luxembourg-Malawi-Malaysia-Maldives-Malta-Mauritania-Maritius-Mexico-Monaco-Morocco-Namibia-Netherlands-New Zealand-Nicaragua-Nigeria-Norway-Oman-Pakistan-Panama-Papua New Guinea-Peru-Philippines-Poland-Portugal-Qatar-Russia when it was still Sowjetunion)-Rwanda-Saint Lucia-San Marino-Saudi Arabia-Senegal-Seychelles-Sierra Leone-Singapore-Slovakia (when it was still Czechoslovakia)-Sloevenia (when it was still Yugoslavia)-South Africa-Spain-Sri Lanka-Swaziland-Sweden-Switzerland-Syria-Taiwan-Thailand-Tongo-Tunesia-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United Kingdom-United States-Uruguay-Vatican City-Venezuela-Zambia

And these are "my" territories, etc.:

American Samoa-Bermuda-British Virgin Islands-Cayman Islands-Cook Island-French Polynesia-Gibraltar-Hongkong-Isle of Man-Macao-Norfolk Island-Puerto Rico-US Virgin Islands. In addition I would also like to count the Azores, Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla.

[This message has been edited by reisevergnuegen (edited 09-18-2002).]
Old Sep 18, 2002, 5:14 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Prior to this year, I had only been to Mexico for 3 days (Thursday night - Sunday morning) in 1996 and Canada twice (once for a few days in 1982 and one weekend -- Friday night to Sunday night in 1997).

After finding FlyerTalk:

England - 25 hours in March, 2002
Singapore - 31 hours in May, 2002
Hong Kong - 62 hours in June, 2002
Germany - 75 hours in August, 2002
Old Sep 19, 2002, 9:24 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Here goes my list

USA
Mexico
Canada
Brazil
Ecuador
Brazil
Colombia
Venezuela
Haiti
Jamaica
Trinidad y Tobago
Barbados
Grenada
Italy
Spain
Britain
Germany
Netherlands
France
Switzerland
Spain
Austria
Vatican
Taiwan
China
Japan
Singapore
Malasya
Philipines
Tasmania
Australia
Indonesia
Dominican Republic

I gotta add some more

------------------
==================
Another evil plot for world domination through the use of points and miles.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
I know most here are beginning to agree that Scotland, Wales & England are in fact one country, the UK, but I've always thought, *Well, they do issue their own currency*.

Also, if someone has been to areas of Colombia (or any country) that are not under government control should that be listed?

Just more interesting thoughts on what constitutes a country.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
47 states in the USA.

Countries:

Singapore
Hong Kong
Japan
China
England/Scotland
France
Belgium
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Italy
Monaco
Vatican
Spain
Portugal
Netherlands
Brazil
Mexico
Canada
Australia

Hoping to visit add NZ in a couple of months. More to come.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudemon:

[B]I know most here are beginning to agree that Scotland, Wales & England are in fact one country, the UK, but I've always thought, *Well, they do issue their own currency*.
</font>
Does Wales?

Old Sep 21, 2002, 3:27 am

new zealand
australia
USA
canada
england
scotland
wales
italy
vatican city
austria
germany
italy
hong kong
singapore
south africa

and most of this with a toddler!
Old Sep 21, 2002, 4:35 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Seems like the Vatican is a popular joint. Gotta drop in and visit my mate Paul one day. I hear he has a nice little shack with a bloody big bell nearby.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:04 pm

Sounds fun, here's my list:

1) Australia
2) Bahamas
3) Belgium
4) Belize
5) Canada
6) China
7) Dominican Republic
8) Egypt
9) France
10) Germany
11) Hong Kong
12) Italy
13) Ireland
14) Jamaica
15) Korea, South
16) Mexico
17) Portugal
18) Saint Kitts and Nevis
19) Spain
20) United States
21) Vatican City

Here are the states:

1) Alabama 2) Alaska 3) Arizona 4) Arkansas 5) California 6) Colorado 7) Connecticut 8) Delaware 9) Florida 10) Georgia 11) Hawaii 12) Illinois 13) Indiana 14) Kentucky 15) Louisiana 16) Maine 17) Maryland 18) Massachusetts 19) Michigan 20) Mississippi 21) Missoura 22) New Jersey 23) New York 24) North Carolina 25) Ohio 26) Oklahoma 27) Pennsylvania 28) Rhode Island 29) South Carolina 30) Tennessee 31) Texas 32) Virginia 33) Washington 34) West Virginia 35) Wisconsin

[This message has been edited by johnep1 (edited 09-22-2002).]
Old Sep 23, 2002, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've been to 52 "real" countries, including three that are no longer independent (since I first visited): East Germany, Hong Kong and Macau. I've also been to several phony "countries," like Alaska, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, but those don't count.

I've been to all 50 U.S. states (and DC) at least three times each! My last state to visit was North Dakota, which I finally saw in 1994. Since then, I've been there twice on business, believe it or not!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.