Reload this Page >

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
I think Mexico is working on a law (if not enacted already) to allow its citizens to hold dual citizenship so the masses of Mexican immigrants in the U.S. can vote.</font>
Mexico's nationality law came into effect on March 20, 1998 as a result of a reform to the Mexican Constitution unanimously passed by the Congress of that country. Basically it allows Mexicans who live outside of Mexico and decide to obtain foreign citzenship or nationality to keep their Mexican nationality.

(from the Sacramento counsel's website)
http://www.quiknet.com/mexico/nationality_eng.htm
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Implications on Voting Rights

Unlike other countries, Mexican legislation establishes a distinction between nationality and citizenship. Nationality refers to how people feel they belong to their country. Nationality is based on one's place of birth and the origins on one's parents. Citizenship implies nationality, as well as, the exercising of political rights which are acquired upon reaching legal age and residence among other requisites. The constitutional reform only modifies provisions related to nationality.
This amendment is not related in any way with the right to vote. So far, no Mexican living abroad is able to vote in any election held in Mexican territory.
Voting is related with citizenship. Thus, the possibility of eventually voting abroad is being separately analyzed and, in any case, would be regulated by The Federal Code of Electoral Institutions and Procedures. Thus, the nationality constitutional amendment and law do not affect voting matters.</font>
According to the website, Mexicans who are already citizens of another country were given 5 years to apply to regain their nationality - that time period runs out on March 19, 2003.

La Cochinita has been a naturalized US citizen for the last ten years and we've talked about the possibility of her applying to regain her nationality rights for Mexico. Might come in handy for buying real estate in Mexico someday.

[This message has been edited by El Cochinito (edited 02-12-2003).]
Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freshair:
I believe (if I read correctly) it is also possible in some circumstances to obtain Irish Citizenship if a great-grandparent was born there. You might want to check it out anyway if you think you qualify. I completed the process of researching/obtaining needed documentation last fall, and recently received by IBA (Irish Born Abroad) papers. So now I can get the passport. I will be glad to have it in Europe and if travelling to places that are not "Ameri-friendly".</font>
the irish rules simplified (as i've looked into it and cannot claim citizenship):

if you have a grandparent BORN in ireland (not just citizen), you can claim citizenship.

the great-grandparent "thing" is only valid if your grandparent was born to an native-born irish citizen, AND registered as an irish citizen born abroad.

it should also be noted that those who have grandparents born in ireland CANNOT pass it down to already-born children. the registration of your birth abroad does not work retroactively to the date of your birth (it used to until a law was passed in 1985) and therefore cannot be passed.

Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:42 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by schreibsman:

the great-grandparent "thing" is only valid if your grandparent was born to an native-born irish citizen, AND registered as an irish citizen born abroad.
</font>
My greatgrandparent was born in Ireland, the grandparent was born in PA. My middle name's the family name. It's worth trying, but a hell of a lot of legwork. I'll drop an Email and see if it's worth pursuing. Woo yay. And if not, I ordered a book on Amazon.com about obtaining another passport "legally". That might be worth a read.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:42 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
goodo: Australia until recently (i think it was last year), did not allow dual citizenship. It you became a citizen of another country you lost your Aussie citizenship.

my older daughter's (Maria) boyfriend and partner (Mark Nolan) , father Australian, mother Swiss, has legally since his birth 24 years ago) in Australia two Nationalities and passports (Australian and Swiss).
Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
For clarification:

I am an American born citizen who received Israeli ciizenship under "The Law of Return". I hold 2 passports, and both countries only allow you to enter and leave the country under their own passport. (I also get to stand on the shorter line at both places)

I am also a veteran of the Israeli Air Force. As serving in the military is a requirement of Israeli citizenship, I was allowed to retain my US citizenship under those circumstances as well. The vast majority of english speaking countries seem to have the same arrangement.

I can vote in both countries, although Israel does not have an absentee ballot.
I also pay social security in both countries.

Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
has legally since his birth 24 years ago) in Australia two Nationalities and passports (Australian and Swiss).</font>
Word of warning for anyone wishing to claim Swiss citizenship based on descent. Apparently there is a cutoff over which you are no longer eligible (I think it's 30).
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice to know that the initial question why anyone should have more than one passport has morphed into a thread to help people acquire multiple nationalities, citizenships and passports.

[edited for positive tone]

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 02-17-2003).]
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Word of warning for anyone wishing to claim Swiss citizenship based on descent. Apparently there is a cutoff over which you are no longer eligible (I think it's 30).</font>

Canada has a somewhat similar law for very rare circumstances (that I happen to fall under, and am in the process of doing right now)--
anyone born abroad as a second-generation to a canadian citizen (i.e., my grandfather was born canadian, my mother was born in the states, as was I) is a canadian citizen, but must apply to retain the citizenship before the age of 28. that is, you can be canadian all your life, and if you don't get your certificate of retention, you lose it.

not cheap either! I'm going to fork over $175 CDN for the whole process, but my tuition savings will be worth it.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by schreibsman:
Canada has a somewhat similar law for very rare circumstances (that I happen to fall under, and am in the process of doing right now)--
anyone born abroad as a second-generation to a canadian citizen (i.e., my grandfather was born canadian, my mother was born in the states, as was I) is a canadian citizen, but must apply to retain the citizenship before the age of 28. that is, you can be canadian all your life, and if you don't get your certificate of retention, you lose it.
</font>
Here's the applicable reference. Good thing you've been residing in Canada!

Links for all other information regarding Canadian citizenship:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pub/index-2.html

Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by El Cochinito:
This amendment is not related in any way with the right to vote. So far, no Mexican living abroad is able to vote in any election held in Mexican territory. </font>
I meant the dual nationality law would allow Mexicans living in the U.S. to become U.S. citizens and be enfranchised in the U.S.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Nice to know that the initial question why anyone should have more than one passport has morphed into a thread to help people acquire multiple nationalities, citizenships and passports.</font>
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your tone, but it sounds as if you think this is a bad thing. Nothing in this thread seems to be giving information to people who want to "get away with something." As many people have spoken from their personal experiences, there are many legitimate reasons for someone to be a citizen of more than one country. Why is this a bad thing? Sure, it could be abused in certain circumstances. But this is true of almost anything you could name. Should be ban everything that might possibly be abused? If that were the case, very little would be allowed.

To cite another example of dual citizenship, what about a person that has come to the US, become a naturalized US citizen, but comes from a country where it is not possible under law to renounce one's citizenship? That person will always be a dual national, unless they renounce US citizenship or their original country changes their laws. Should this be held against them?

Old Feb 14, 2003, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Steve M,

Well worded reply. I kept erasing my respnse because it was way too negative. But that was how it kept coming out.

Old Feb 14, 2003, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your tone, but it sounds as if you think this is a bad thing.
</font>
You are, though I should have put some smileys for tone I would have added to my first remark that you read. I otherwise I would have aded . It's the OP who is making it sound like a bad thing. No, I am all for multiple nationalities and passports.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 02-14-2003).]
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:26 am

I meant the dual nationality law would allow Mexicans living in the U.S. to become U.S. citizens and be enfranchised in the U.S.</font>
Actually the issue for Mexico is whether or not to allow the Mexicans who regain their "Mexican nationality" via the 1998 legislation to vote in Mexican elections. As you can imagine, that could represent a fairly large voting block that could conceivably alter the dynamics of that nation's Congress. Historically the PRI (Institutional Revolutionary Party - the party in power up to the last presidential election since the Mexican revolution) did not want to allow absentee voting from this population.

And of course only Mexican nationals that are US citizens are legally allowed to vote in US elections.

[This message has been edited by El Cochinito (edited 02-14-2003).]
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Another reason to have two passports is that the INS might destroy one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.