Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This was partially true and is now only vaguely true.

What it omits are (and this is far from an exhaustive list):
- filing requirements, now incredibly onerous if you are living abroad as a foreign national (look up FATCA).
- different bases of taxation, thus rendering double tax treaties useless (eg, leaving money to your foreign spouse when you die attracts US tax) or only partially available (eg many of the CGT rules)
- many standard pension schemes in the foreign country fall foul of US rules and therefore are unavailable (here the US has effectively reneged on its treaty obligations)
- non-availability of standard tax-advantaged schemes (obviously you can't invest in US ones when resident abroad, but the US taxes the ones you can invest in).

In short, if you try to be honest, you are clobbered with US tax on anything that is not a straightforward salary - and that's leaving aside the $5-10k annually you pay in the costs of filing.
Generally speaking, if the only country that shares a policy with you is Eritrea, it's probably not a great policy.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH HON
Actually I have three passports. Two due dual citizenship and a third one due travel involved in both Israel and ME.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:39 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by ckx2
Actually I have three passports. Two due dual citizenship and a third one due travel involved in both Israel and ME.
You need a passport to enter Maine?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
My question is why would anyone be concerned that other people have more than one passport ?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:40 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
My question is why would anyone be concerned that other people have more than one passport ?
"Passport Envy" is a stage theorized by Sigmund Freud regarding travel development, in which holders of one passport experience anxiety upon realization that they do not have two of them. Freud considered this realization a defining moment in a series of transitions toward a mature travel experience and traveler identity. In Freudian theory, the passport envy stage begins the transition from an attachment to the suitcase to competition with the neck pillow for the attention, recognition and affection of the amenities kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.