Reload this Page >

I Hate Rick Steves

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Hate Rick Steves

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by KNRG
Umm.. for those doing the math..

Rick Steves tours are a budget/value option compared to other tour operators. A 7-day London/Paris Adventures by Disney tour starts at $3,999. That's twice what the similar Steves tour costs.
Wow, that's a super-duper ripoff.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
In any case, it sounds like you are just against group tours, have never been on one, have convinced yourself they are a ripoff, and it's unlikely that anything will convince you otherwise. This seems like a generic argument, rather than anything specifically against RS in particular.
Gosh, Kathy, you don't much about me but seem happy to assume a lot. I have taken group tours as a child (much to my chagrin), and stand by my belief that they're a ripoff. I can believe whatever I want, and you can believe whatever you want, and we can all live happily ever after. Do you work for the guy or what?

Ever seen "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium?" Imagine going through that as a 10 year old and you'll get a bit of insight into my dislike of tours like these. Ugh.

Geesh.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ATC
The Australians have energetic euro-trash kids hosting their Lonely Planet travel shows. The Brits have a witty self-effacing Michael Palin showing us the world.

But who do we get? Rick Steves.
There is Samantha Brown (http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown)
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Italy98
Hearing Steve or Samantha giving advice on travel almost makes one want to stay at home.

MisterNice
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
How did I miss this thread of epic goodness. +1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad he is on PBS.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:14 pm

Bashing Samantha Brown is easy - but Rick? He's a good guy, and local. He doesn't try to play cool-guy, and although I am not a fan of the TV show - I do appreciate the radio show from time to time.

How could someone hate Rick? It's like...like...hating bread. It can be boring without anything else to eat, but hey - it does the job.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Italy98
I hate Samantha Brown!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I actually find Rudy Maxa...

...kinda smarmy...RS while as white bread as all get out...at least makes an effort to integrate for the one hour he graces a place. Look all of us are road warriors and many have used our hotel/airline points to travel the world. But I speak to coworkers in the USA who only get 2 weeks vacation a year and they seem to appreciate his books/tv shows. Are they for me?...No but I've been to over 60 countries...but for folks who going to Europe is a once or twice in a lifetime opportunity, especially for Americans who seem to think they are gonna get cheated, taken advantage of, overcharged, or miss something on their 4 country 10 day jaunt through Europe.... RS does have his fans. I've had 2 US coworkers tell me they used and loved his books while they took their big trip to Europe. So RS I applaud you for knowing your market!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM
If I happen to enter a restaurant full of Rick Steeves' guidebooks on the tables I'll leave - you'll have no choice but to overhear hoards of American's banal conversations as they eat in their new tennis shoes and white socks purchased for especially for their trip.

Steeves tells you exactly how to be an American in which ever country you're visiting.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markbb99
If I happen to enter a restaurant full of Rick Steeves' guidebooks on the tables I'll leave - you'll have no choice but to overhear hoards of American's banal conversations as they eat in their new tennis shoes and white socks purchased for especially for their trip.

Steeves tells you exactly how to be an American in which ever country you're visiting.
Completely unfair. Yes, Steves' recommendations attract more Americans to the places he lists. If it bothers you to hear "American's (sic) banal conversations," that will be a problem.

But Steves' motivation is to teach his audience how to be "temporary locals." He prefers mom-and-pop outfits to chains. His advice is generally good, but the focus he shines on certain places can cause them to lose some of what attracted him in the first place.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MJLogan
I find Mr. Steves' books and TV programs just dull, so I didn't care enough about him to hate him until a few years ago. That's when I discovered that my favourite hotel in Paris is often full of folks on Rick Steves tours, which makes getting a reservation occasionally tricky.

When they're in residence, there is a schedule posted next to the lift. A sample entry:

"7:00 am. Gather in lobby for orientation on how to use the Metro."

I'd sooner gouge out my own eyes than get up at the crack of dawn to be taught how to ride a subway.
Hey is like a special ed of the tourist industry. Geared towards people who think a trip to Benihana is a cultural experience. It is really painful to listen to him. Makes me think of fanny packs, overhanging bellies and comfortable walking shoes. Shudder! Hopefully the hotel did not have a bidet. I would love to hear that explanation!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:27 am

I stumbled on this thread by accident and while it is years old, I would like to say that I find his radio program to be horribly patronizing. I often feel like shouting 'SHUT UP and let the person answer your question, and actually listen to the response'.

Thank you, I feel much better knowing that I am not alone.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I have a new found respect for Samantha Brown since she got a boob job...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
I stumbled on this thread by accident and while it is years old, I would like to say that I find his radio program to be horribly patronizing. I often feel like shouting 'SHUT UP and let the person answer your question, and actually listen to the response'.

Thank you, I feel much better knowing that I am not alone.
I find Flyertalk to be horribly patronizing with neverending threads about "kettles", how other people are stupid not to do MR, get multiple credit cards keep status and earn upgrades etc and general attitude of self importance
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
I find Flyertalk to be horribly patronizing with neverending threads about "kettles", how other people are stupid not to do MR, get multiple credit cards keep status and earn upgrades etc and general attitude of self importance
Yeah, it cuts both ways, doesn't it.

And for whatever his faults, I will defend Rick Steves to the death. He's a brilliant travel book writer -- his series is better than any other (I know nothing about his guided tours). I probably have more experience than 99.99% of travellers, and I grab a copy (often from the library) of his books when I go to Europe. Sure, I rarely stay at his recommended hotels, and eat only occasionally at his recommended restaurants, but his "nuts and bolts" info is better than anyone else's. When friends and family ask me for European travel advice, I always tell them to read Rick Steves first and then ask me questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.