I Hate Rick Steves

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Hate Rick Steves

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, he does only cover the "highlights" of a country. And he uses his judgment in selecting what he thinks are the "best" places in a country.

His audience is Americans. How many Americans do you know who have the time to hit more than "the highlights"? We're not a country that typically takes 6 week vacations.
I can take as much vacation as I want, but I never go on 6 week trips. 10 days is about my maximum before I need to sleep in my bed again. And yeah if I go to a country I've never been before I'll hit he highlights first.

I've never understood the prevalent attitude on FT of going on vacation and making life hard for yourself. If I'm on vacation, I want to relax and see some stuff. And if the stuff I want to see happens to be popular and seen by - GHASP!! - other American tourists, hey it's OK, I'll live. Not every vacation has to be me alone 50 miles from the closest tourist on a beach only 12 people have ever stepped foot on.

That being said I do agree this dude is dorky. But he's made more money being a dork than most if not all posters here will ever make doing something he loves. So for that I say kudos Rick.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Why? Are you too good to be around those people? What if the food is excellent? I'm really just asking...
Ever looked at a travel guidebook for your home town/city? Do they recommend places you like to go? My experience at home is they recommend places where the food is less than excellent and the atmosphere lacking. I've not seen much to dissuade me from this travelling.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Ever looked at a travel guidebook for your home town/city? Do they recommend places you like to go
If a guidebook recommends a restaurant in you city, tourists will go there which will mean you won't go there because there are tourists there and you don't go anywhere tourists go.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner

Also like Zimmern (Andrew). He'll eat anything. ...
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Anything except durian.

Anything except walnuts actually

http://www.gadling.com/2010/04/08/ta...bizarre-foods/
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dd992emo
I have a new found respect for Samantha Brown since she got a boob job...
For someone so annoying, she's sneakily hot.

Sure, I rarely stay at his recommended hotels, and eat only occasionally at his recommended restaurants, but his "nuts and bolts" info is better than anyone else's.
Absolutely true. I like the fact that when I take a train into a city for the first time, I know that if I walk around track 5 there is a Cash Machine and the metro is behind track 10. He tells you where to buy transit tickets and what's of good value. No other guide book is as good for your first visit to a place.

I think his hotel lists are pretty good, but his restaurants are awful. I don't think I've eaten in a good one ever.

His museum tours are pretty good if you want to be an American and bang through the Uffizi in an hour.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Rick Steves suggests good budget hotels, and that's about it. Back when I used his guidebooks, he recommended seeing every museum in every city we went to. I also distinctly remember him suggesting that a good way to eat cheaply anywhere would be to raid the leftovers on other peoples' trays in cafeterias. No thanks.

I've been a Lonely Planet guy for quite some time now.

Lonely PLanet and Rick Steves both recommended the same restaurant in Ronda, Spain. I don't remember the name. We walked from our hotel to the restaurant, which was charming and local and off the beaten path and everything I look for when traveling. When we arrived, we were the first diners of the evening. As the evening wore on and the place filled up, we couldn't help but notice that EVERY OTHER TABLE was full of Americans, speaking in English to the waiters (we muddled through in our broken Spanish the whole time). And every other table had a Rick Steves Spain guidebook on the table.

The staff seemed to like our attempts at Spanish - they gave us a few rounds of sherry and desserts. I didn't see them doing that for other tables.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Yeah, it cuts both ways, doesn't it.

And for whatever his faults, I will defend Rick Steves to the death. He's a brilliant travel book writer -- his series is better than any other (I know nothing about his guided tours). I probably have more experience than 99.99% of travellers, and I grab a copy (often from the library) of his books when I go to Europe. Sure, I rarely stay at his recommended hotels, and eat only occasionally at his recommended restaurants, but his "nuts and bolts" info is better than anyone else's. When friends and family ask me for European travel advice, I always tell them to read Rick Steves first and then ask me questions.
I usually buy a Rick Steves book when I go to Europe. In the "older" days (1990's/2000's), I would stay at the lower end of his recommended hostels/hotels. He usually was/is accurate with his discriptions of eating/sleeping places. Now that I go with my spouse, she requires that we have a private bathroom (I didn't mind when travelling alone--saved $$). I typically do bidding on Priceline whenever possible. We got some decent deals (Zurich Marriott for $85/night, Milan Westin Palace (5*) for $87 base ($80 w/bonus $$), etc.

I have gone more upscale in the lodging area in recent years. Of course, we try not to pay over $100/nt (can be achieved by Priceline bidding).

Bottom line: I usually buy an updated Rick Steves book before going to Europe. (very familiar places maybe not).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Ever looked at a travel guidebook for your home town/city? Do they recommend places you like to go? .
They recommend those places because they paid to be in the book.....
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by puchalskir
Samantha Brown. For someone so annoying, she's sneakily hot.
Absolutely...Tina Fey is also sneaky hot! ^
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: AA, DL
I met Rick Steves at the NYC Travel show here is how my conversation with him went.

Me: If you are such an expert on Europe why not try Asia out?
RS: Then I wouldn't be an expert on Europe!

Not long after the conversation... maybe within a year or 2 he had a few Asia specials!

Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ATC
The guy is such a dweeb.
Why does every single message board on web have to be taken over by snotty little twerps who start threads like this.

As far a Rick Steves is concerned, his specific advice about hotels and restaurants is frequently poor. His books are often out-of-date. But his general advice about getting around and the logistics of navigating practical problems is excellent with nothing else even close.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kastner
Why does every single message board on web have to be taken over by snotty little twerps who start threads like this.

As far a Rick Steves is concerned, his specific advice about hotels and restaurants is frequently poor. His books are often out-of-date. But his general advice about getting around and the logistics of navigating practical problems is excellent with nothing else even close.
You may find Steves info "..often out of date", but I don't. He sends his people around to check his info every year, unlike some of the other name guidebooks that sometimes are 2 years or more behind the news. Further, Steves has real-time updates on his website by both his folks and his readers.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, NW
I'm currently planning a trip to Scandinavia (the first since I visited with my parents when I was 17--and that was a LONG time ago), and I'm using the Rick Steves book as ONE of my sources, because it's great for practical information.

Admittedly, his coverage of each country is sketchy. His Scandinavia guidebook doesn't cover the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, and Finland at all.

I booked my own hotels online, and one of them happens to be mentioned in Rick Steves' book, but the others are not.

However, I booked the overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen (again online), and Rick Steves' book tells me which bus to take to its departure point.

That's the type of thing Rick Steves' book is good for, as I found when I used his Great Britain book. What to expect when you land at the airport, what bus or train to take, when the last bus or train leaves, what you need to know about renting a car in each country, what special deals for tourists each city has, what sights can be seen in a day without rushing, the little practical stuff like that.

I never use the restaurant recommendations in anyone's guidebook and have had good results everywhere simply by walking around and reading the posted menus to check the price range and looking inside to see if the restaurant is well patronized by locals but not so crowded that I have to wait in line. If the restaurant is empty or overcrowded, I move on. I rarely have a bad meal while traveling.

I think that only the most inexperienced travelers would follow Rick Steves' recommendations to the letter, and if the books give provincial Americans the courage to move out of their comfort zone and see the rest of the world, that's a good thing.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:41 am

"We're not a country that typically takes 6 week vacations."

And that is the crux of the matter. Unless you are retired and quite comfortable financially, Rick Steves can eliminate a lot of stress for those who want the most bang for their buck and don't have leisure time. It's unfortunate that we all can't take months and stroll our way through other countries, but if we can at least try to see some foreign climes, it's a positive to have a little paving of the way beforehand.

Durian? Just don't breathe until it's passed your lips; buttery texture, fragrant aroma, a blend of citrus and vanilla (to me).
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
How can you hate a nerdy pothead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.