Search

JFK - *safe* time to allow to transfer from BA to UA

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2002, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
JFK - *safe* time to allow to transfer from BA to UA

Regular JFK users, appreciate a heads up on how time consuming it is to get from whichever Concourse BA uses and the UA one. I am assuming they are some ways apart?

Joh and I redeemed some Qantas miles for a Concorde round trip (not sure if that uses the normal BA gates?) and arrive into JFK at 9.25 am. I just saw on Mileage Run that neat UA $187 deal to Las Vegas r/t via SFO/LAX so have booked that. Better earn some miles to replace the ones we are are "spending". The United flight to LAX departs at 11.45am. I am hoping that will allow ample time, with the heightened customs and security etc - thoughts?

Returning back next day we arrive from SFO into JFK at 6.37 am on a redeye and hopefully in enough time to get the 8.30 am Concorde. Is 2 hours enough?

If I ask BA to check bags from LHR to LAS, and UA from LAS to LHR on the return, will that assist, or just allow more chance for bags to get lost/delayed in the opinions of those here?

Anyone around the BA concourse at either LHR or JFK that wants to catch up let's know and we may be able to smuggle you into the Concorde Lounge for a drink!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 10, 2002, 10:42 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
I'm not from the NY area, but UA and BA share Terminal 7 at JFK.
Old May 11, 2002, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FOH .. this sounds too good to be true. Usually connections for us take place 7 concourses away or whatever via monorail or subway train or bus rides or lonnnnnnnnnnng walkways!

So is that CERTAIN they are both close together? Will make our day.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 11, 2002, 5:10 am
In Memoriam

Your Day has been made!
Old May 11, 2002, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[qoute]If I ask BA to check bags from LHR to LAS, and UA from LAS to LHR on the return, will that assist, or just allow more chance for bags to get lost/delayed in the opinions of those here? [/quote]

Thanks! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 11, 2002, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
arrive into JFK at 9.25 am. The United flight to LAX departs at 11.45am. I am hoping that will allow ample time, with the heightened customs and security etc - thoughts? </font>
I'm not a regular JFK user (actually, I've never been there), but this is just the type of question that my OAG Pocket Flight Guide can answer. From the May 2002 edition, the minimum connect time for JFK for international to domestic flights is 1:45, so you should be okay.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Returning back next day we arrive from SFO into JFK at 6.37 am on a redeye and hopefully in enough time to get the 8.30 am Concorde. Is 2 hours enough? </font>
The minimum connect at JFK for domestic to international is listed as 1:15, so again you should be okay.

These "minimum connect times" are maintained by IATA and are the minimums that airlines are willing to sell connecting flights on a single itinerary. They supposedly take into account things like terminal changes, immigration/customs, and connecting checked baggage. I prefer to build in a little extra slack, especially when I'm traveling on a connection such as yours where there are separate itineraries, because in these cases, the airlines won't take responsibility for missed connections or delayed bags. But, the published minimum connect times are useful to get a rough idea as to what's doable and what's not.
Old May 13, 2002, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Steve M - good info.

I was advised on another Forum that UA indeed do use Terminal 7 for many flights. HOWEVER I was told the LAX and SFO flights (the ones we are on) depart and arrive from Terminal 6. Grrrr. UA board is down now, so can't ask there, but that info seemed pretty definite.

Can one easily walk with bags between these 2 terminals, or is it a bus/train type transfer, does anyone know?

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 14, 2002, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

UA no longer uses Term 6. All flights out of term 7
Old May 14, 2002, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Terminal 6 use was cancelled after 9/11. It looks like B6 is taking it over, but some of the UA 767s still park there. Even HP had to move into 7. All UA traffic is out of 7. Have fun in customs.

Tell us how the Concorde lounge is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.