Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone starting to cancel September trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone starting to cancel September trips?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Several weeks of vacations planned Jan/Feb for summer and fall are slowly coming apart with cancellations now into early July for some airlines

South Africa, Indonesia, Poland, Singapore for July
Tahiti and Hawaii for August
Azores for September

all most likely wont happen
Old May 12, 2020, 11:54 am

As I type this from home (UK) I should be in the Kruger (South Africa) now on a 3 week self drive trip. Cancelled.
Also have a 3 week Kruger and Eswatini trip booked for November, but that's going to go the same way as this May trip :-(
Old May 12, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my mid-July conference in CPT has been recast (so to speak) as a virtual event; we had planned three days at Vic Falls prior, three days in the wine country and five days in Kruger afterwards, and a three-day stopover in SIN on the way back

I used miles for all the long-haul flights (BA F and SQ J), so those aren't an issue; bought travel insurance with a Cancel-For-Any-Reason rider a few days after booking the land portions, so I **should** be able to recover 75% of the initial (nonrefundable) deposit ... if KQ (VFA-CPT) and SA Airlink (CPT-ULX and HDS-JNB) announce that they'll only offer credits for travel next year, I'll add those flights to the claim

the potential good news is that the organization announced they intend to hold the 2022 conference in CPT if health/social/travel conditions permit
Old May 12, 2020, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many large enterprises are cancelling all or close to all travel through the end of 2020. That may well cause the cancellation and consolidation of many flights that might have operated. In addition, it is impossible to determine what government entry restrictions may exist. Even those with citizenship or residence and who may enter, may find themselves quarantined.

Baseline rule is that if the flight goes, you are entitled to whatever the fare rules -- including any special Covid-19 waiver -- permit. That is generally a credit. If the flight is cancelled or refunded, you will be due a refund for all flights on EU and US carriers as well as all flights from the EU and to or from the US, regardless of carrier nationality.

This suggests doing nothing now. Even if you decide to cancel, wait for the carrier to do so (or significantly change the schedule). If that happens, request a refund. If it does not, you can always cancel for a Covid-19 credit on most carriers, up tot he day of travel.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by jrl767
my mid-July conference in CPT has been recast (so to speak) as a virtual event; we had planned three days at Vic Falls prior, three days in the wine country and five days in Kruger afterwards, and a three-day stopover in SIN on the way back

I used miles for all the long-haul flights (BA F and SQ J), so those aren't an issue; bought travel insurance with a Cancel-For-Any-Reason rider a few days after booking the land portions, so I **should** be able to recover 75% of the initial (nonrefundable) deposit ... if KQ (VFA-CPT) and SA Airlink (CPT-ULX and HDS-JNB) announce that they'll only offer credits for travel next year, I'll add those flights to the claim

the potential good news is that the organization announced they intend to hold the 2022 conference in CPT if health/social/travel conditions permit
Just about all of my conferences for the remainder of this year have been transformed into virtual meetings. This has wiped out the entire calendar of summer and fall events and has now extended into the early winter as well. All of these events were domestic, not international (although international attendees were part of these meetings).

So my travel is kaput for meetings. If my consulting gigs go up in smoke as well, I may not get on a plane for the rest of the year
Old May 12, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I have an August (originally scheduled for March) domestic trip on WN that is still happening for the time being. That will depend on whether there's a second wave in CA that causes some of the recently lifted restrictions to get put back.

We're also hoping to travel to Ireland this coming April (originally last month) but I'm fully expecting mandatory quarantines for Americans--if not outright travel bans--as long as we continue to do a poor job at controlling COVID-19 domestically. It's why I haven't re-booked yet and why we might delay doing so until farther into 2021 (if not 2022).
Old May 13, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by milepig
We have an October vacation scheduled for Prague and Budapest, flying via Warsaw. Completely possible to cancel, but after losing Alaska in June we really want to go somewhere!

Similar region for us. We have Budapest via Vienna for late September, with a return routing thru Dubai. Lots of moving parts even IF we are allowed to take this trip. Any political unrest in Hungary? Will Emirates be flying their A380's (1/2 the reason for the trip)?
Old May 13, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
i'm still holding out hope for July onwards.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:55 am

Cancelled all flights internationally till Jan 2021.As long as the countries close its borders, no vaccine available and the 14 days qurantine rule exists, I have to find other ways of vacationing. Business meetings now mostly through video conferences and calls, never thought how easy it is now for everyone as we do not have a choice!! Company now is so eager and generous to provide for the equipments. Working at home has not been easy to get. Of course as the company says all about the health meassures!. Let us see how many business trips I will get in 2021 with all these "new" possibilities. I feel "nada"...
Old May 14, 2020, 9:42 pm

me and wife suppose to go wedding lax to seattle cancelled hawaii in june cancelled fishing in cache creek canada bc cancelled france in july cancelled thought it would have been better by now the virus
Old May 18, 2020, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Canceled our Sep tickets. We now have tickets to go to India in Jan ( one can hope, right?)
Old May 19, 2020, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a bunch of short-haul (US) stuff booked for later this year. Still plan on doing it....they're trips that aren't related to any special events or large gatherings. Just need basic services to be available, really.

Planning Asia for June 2021. Will be booking it as soon as the CX award calendar opens up. Figure that should be reasonably safe... Then Ireland in August 2021, that'll probably be a paid ticket.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Cancelled everything through the rest of the year, with the possibility of resuscitating some if it seems appropriate. Still have a vacation in a friend's house in Italy in the calendar for late July and there's an outside possibility this will happen. I never got around to booking flights BC (Before Covid) and I see no need to do so now until a firm decision is made.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Actually made a reservation for ABZ (Aberdeen, Scotland) ultimo September, two days ago.

Today's news says 14 days quarantine implemented in UK .
Timing could have been better...
Old May 26, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
i'm still holding out hope for July onwards.
You're my kind of person!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.