Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone starting to cancel September trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Flying to Sin- Malaysia in September- and I have started entertaining, reluctantly, the idea we might have to cancel. Anyone in the same boat?
Old May 8, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Waiting for Indonesia to extend flight bans into/past September....
That's the only way I will get a refund on the long haul flights... Domestic USA flights will turn into vouchers which will expire before I can get to the USA....

thinking about the perils of wandering
Fred
Old May 8, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Six of us have a trip to Portugal booked in early September. Waiting on either flight cancellations or travel restrictions to make a decision.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:40 pm

I cancelled Paris for October. Decided to just accept the voucher now and not have to stress over it for the next few months waiting to see what's going to happen. I had trip cancellation insurance and could have gotten a letter from my employer to get my money back, but we decided to do it this way to guarantee that we would take a trip, if not this trip, by leaving the money on account.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I haven’t canceled anything yet. We have Italy (citizens so no problem entering if necessary), KRK, PRG and BUD booked. All redemption tickets so no cancelation fees and hotels booked with points or Friends and Family rates so again, no canc fees. Hoping it will still happen but getting skeptical. Italy is a must as we need to take care of some things there but the rest is questionable at best.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:29 pm

We have trip to atlanta booked in late July. Hoping it will either get canceled or changed so we can get a refund. Going to wait until as late as possible before I accept a voucher. Already have one voucher.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Moved a transpacific cruise from Sept 2020 to Sept 2021, without penalty (same price/perks/etc)

Cancelled all the award bookings that would position us onto and back from the cruise. 4-5 hours of my life spent dealing with Copa to book those flights, took just 9 minutes to cancel
Old May 8, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Had one canceled for me - conference rescheduled from March to September has now been pushed to 2021.
Old May 9, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: US Gold
I tend to book in the last month before traveling anyway, but at this stage I'm just hoping travel will be possible before Christmas. If - as I think is very likely - every place imposes a 14-day quarantine on arrival, it's not going to be practical to go anywhere until there's a vaccine.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We have an October vacation scheduled for Prague and Budapest, flying via Warsaw. Completely possible to cancel, but after losing Alaska in June we really want to go somewhere!
Old May 11, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Oktoberfest cancelled ... after getting a really good flight deal and a hotel within walking distance.
stablemate77 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by miasmal
Oktoberfest cancelled ... after getting a really good flight deal and a hotel within walking distance.
Walking there, stumbling back?
mmff likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm booked on a week-long photography workshop in Iceland for October. The leader reached out last week to discuss moving it to 2021. The workshop is mostly Kiwis and Americans so under current policy none of us could even enter Iceland.

Unfortunately Icelandair's COVID policy doesn't include October flights yet. Not sure what will happen there yet.

edit: and just after posting this, I got an email canceling the workshop.

Last edited by txflyer77; May 11, 2020 at 10:27 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Six of us have a trip to Portugal booked in early September. Waiting on either flight cancellations or travel restrictions to make a decision.
Portugal is in a better position than most countries, with plans to re-open its tourist industry, at least in the Algarve.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Portugal is in a better position than most countries, with plans to re-open its tourist industry, at least in the Algarve.
We're doing Lisbon, Porto, and the Azores so keeping our fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.