Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering if anyone here has decided to just eat massive costs (uncompensated) and cancel a trip because of Coronavirus.
If so, where were you going to go, how much are you going to lose (that question is optional), and what was your thought process.

We're going to Jpn via TPE in 2 weeks. We'd be looking at losing ~$7500 if we cancelled, so there's no way we're cancelling unless things get uncomfortably worse or if the airline somehow extended travel waiver for Taiwan and/or Jpn. I'm monitoring things closely.

On the other hand, I was talking to someone today who decided to cancel a trip from US to Europe because he didn't want to take any chances.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Coronavirus is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. Fiancé? She doesn’t want to go to Taiwan next week. So, what to do?

Ive got paid J and hotels and other flights booked.
The money has been spent. And if I don’t go because she doesn’t want to go - it doesn’t change the money having been spent.

I consider it a sunk cost - which means I don’t consider it now when I decide to travel or not.

Not anymore complicated than that.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium
We are in Maldives, just came from Singapore and then going to Sri Lanka. It’s fine, some people wearing masks most not. Other than having our temp checked at restaurant and airports before entering everything else has been normal. I’d enjoy the travel if it were me.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Just wondering if anyone here has decided to just eat massive costs (uncompensated) and cancel a trip because of Coronavirus.
If so, where were you going to go, how much are you going to lose (that question is optional), and what was your thought process.

We're going to Jpn via TPE in 2 weeks. We'd be looking at losing ~$7500 if we cancelled, so there's no way we're cancelling unless things get uncomfortably worse or if the airline somehow extended travel waiver for Taiwan and/or Jpn. I'm monitoring things closely.

On the other hand, I was talking to someone today who decided to cancel a trip from US to Europe because he didn't want to take any chances.
FlyerEC and evergrn like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
it's too late for this trip, but you should look into travel insurance for such a large vacation budget next time

some offer cancel-for-any-reason, while some may cover pandemics. you have to read the fine print

my vacation budget is typically low, and a large portion are refundable until day-of (eg hotel bookings). don't care if I have to skip it.

some airline tickets can be changeable/refundable for a fee - did you check?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines normally offer free refunds for anything that would actually be dangerous. Japan wouldn't worry me.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I’m making my decision middle of next week. Till then, I won’t even attempt to make any decision. Instead I Am monitoring the situation, trying to learn, watching for new airline waivers, hearing other people’s perspectives. The default plan is we’re going. I figure next Wed or so I will sit down with my wife and go over all the info and then finalize our plans.

back to the topic... tell us if you have cancelled or are thinking about canceling or know others who have cancelled at your expense.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A cancel-for-anthing insurance - I don't think something like that exists.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Cancel for any reason does exist as an add-on (additional cost) and you don't get 100% back (50-75%) and have to meet other conditions
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn
Its called fully flex tickets and refundable hotel bookings.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:35 am

Considering to cancel my trip tomorrow to Hongkong. LX will not refund the flight so I am about to lose about 4k for 2 Business Class Tickets.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't usually book hotels until about a few weeks prior; often much closer to departure. Rates do not fluctuate very much in my experience unless there are high demands (then points redemption would be in order). Sometimes booking the same day had been cheaper than booking in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To give up on trips to Japan or Hong Kong during a period of time where there will be few if any mainland Chinese tourists in those locals would be a real shame!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:44 am
QRA

Programs: All Accor Diamond, Krisflyer/SA Gold, HH MB RR Melia Gold
Originally Posted by DominiqueV
Considering to cancel my trip tomorrow to Hongkong. LX will not refund the flight so I am about to lose about 4k for 2 Business Class Tickets.
I would try again with the hope of speaking with a different agent. My refund for business class LHR-FRA-HKG, out 8th Feb return 3rd March has just landed in my Amex account, I cancelled Sunday evening. They do appear to be inconsistent.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by QRA
I would try again with the hope of speaking with a different agent. My refund for business class LHR-FRA-HKG, out 8th Feb return 3rd March has just landed in my Amex account, I cancelled Sunday evening. They do appear to be inconsistent.
I just called LX customer service and they refused again the rebook or cancel the flight. If I cancel they will give me back 50 Euro. Really bad as United and AA cancel their whole flights to Hongkong.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:34 am

I have tickets going to BKK tomorrow and i've decided not to go since there's been several local transmission cases there. Hotel was refundable but had to eat the flight cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.