FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2007595-anyone-decide-do-un-compensated-trip-cancellation-due-coronavirus.html)

evergrn Feb 4, 2020 7:55 pm

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Just wondering if anyone here has decided to just eat massive costs (uncompensated) and cancel a trip because of Coronavirus.
If so, where were you going to go, how much are you going to lose (that question is optional), and what was your thought process.

We're going to Jpn via TPE in 2 weeks. We'd be looking at losing ~$7500 if we cancelled, so there's no way we're cancelling unless things get uncomfortably worse or if the airline somehow extended travel waiver for Taiwan and/or Jpn. I'm monitoring things closely.

On the other hand, I was talking to someone today who decided to cancel a trip from US to Europe because he didn't want to take any chances.

WestCoastPDX Feb 4, 2020 8:36 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Coronavirus is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. Fiancé? She doesn’t want to go to Taiwan next week. So, what to do?

Ive got paid J and hotels and other flights booked.
The money has been spent. And if I don’t go because she doesn’t want to go - it doesn’t change the money having been spent.

I consider it a sunk cost - which means I don’t consider it now when I decide to travel or not.

Not anymore complicated than that.

miket Feb 4, 2020 8:52 pm

We are in Maldives, just came from Singapore and then going to Sri Lanka. It’s fine, some people wearing masks most not. Other than having our temp checked at restaurant and airports before entering everything else has been normal. I’d enjoy the travel if it were me.

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 32033751)
Just wondering if anyone here has decided to just eat massive costs (uncompensated) and cancel a trip because of Coronavirus.
If so, where were you going to go, how much are you going to lose (that question is optional), and what was your thought process.

We're going to Jpn via TPE in 2 weeks. We'd be looking at losing ~$7500 if we cancelled, so there's no way we're cancelling unless things get uncomfortably worse or if the airline somehow extended travel waiver for Taiwan and/or Jpn. I'm monitoring things closely.

On the other hand, I was talking to someone today who decided to cancel a trip from US to Europe because he didn't want to take any chances.

paperwastage Feb 4, 2020 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 32033751)

it's too late for this trip, but you should look into travel insurance for such a large vacation budget next time

some offer cancel-for-any-reason, while some may cover pandemics. you have to read the fine print

my vacation budget is typically low, and a large portion are refundable until day-of (eg hotel bookings). don't care if I have to skip it.

some airline tickets can be changeable/refundable for a fee - did you check?

Loren Pechtel Feb 4, 2020 10:02 pm

The airlines normally offer free refunds for anything that would actually be dangerous. Japan wouldn't worry me.

evergrn Feb 4, 2020 10:17 pm

I’m making my decision middle of next week. Till then, I won’t even attempt to make any decision. Instead I Am monitoring the situation, trying to learn, watching for new airline waivers, hearing other people’s perspectives. The default plan is we’re going. I figure next Wed or so I will sit down with my wife and go over all the info and then finalize our plans.

back to the topic... tell us if you have cancelled or are thinking about canceling or know others who have cancelled at your expense.

warakorn Feb 5, 2020 12:07 am

A cancel-for-anthing insurance - I don't think something like that exists.

chriskuo Feb 5, 2020 12:26 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 32034361)

Cancel for any reason does exist as an add-on (additional cost) and you don't get 100% back (50-75%) and have to meet other conditions

geminidreams Feb 5, 2020 12:34 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 32034361)

Its called fully flex tickets and refundable hotel bookings.

DominiqueV Feb 5, 2020 12:35 am

Considering to cancel my trip tomorrow to Hongkong. LX will not refund the flight so I am about to lose about 4k for 2 Business Class Tickets.

Repooc17 Feb 5, 2020 12:42 am

I don't usually book hotels until about a few weeks prior; often much closer to departure. Rates do not fluctuate very much in my experience unless there are high demands (then points redemption would be in order). Sometimes booking the same day had been cheaper than booking in advance.

travelinmanS Feb 5, 2020 1:01 am

To give up on trips to Japan or Hong Kong during a period of time where there will be few if any mainland Chinese tourists in those locals would be a real shame!

QRA Feb 5, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by DominiqueV (Post 32034432)
Considering to cancel my trip tomorrow to Hongkong. LX will not refund the flight so I am about to lose about 4k for 2 Business Class Tickets.

I would try again with the hope of speaking with a different agent. My refund for business class LHR-FRA-HKG, out 8th Feb return 3rd March has just landed in my Amex account, I cancelled Sunday evening. They do appear to be inconsistent.

DominiqueV Feb 5, 2020 4:01 am

Originally Posted by QRA (Post 32034798)
I would try again with the hope of speaking with a different agent. My refund for business class LHR-FRA-HKG, out 8th Feb return 3rd March has just landed in my Amex account, I cancelled Sunday evening. They do appear to be inconsistent.

I just called LX customer service and they refused again the rebook or cancel the flight. If I cancel they will give me back 50 Euro. Really bad as United and AA cancel their whole flights to Hongkong.

miuk Feb 5, 2020 11:34 am

I have tickets going to BKK tomorrow and i've decided not to go since there's been several local transmission cases there. Hotel was refundable but had to eat the flight cost.