Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone decide to do Un-compensated trip cancellation due to Coronavirus?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who (knowing what they know now) decided to go for it? I see WestCoastPDX went.

Getting a lot of pushback from family, but just from a statistics standpoint, even if I do transit NRT/ICN as part of a SIN itinerary, if it were really all that bad, I would expect more cases popping up in secondary destinations.
I'm in Japan right now, doing a week-long business trip in Taiwan and Japan. Right now I'm in a part of Japan that hasn't seen any cases so mask-wearing prevalence isn't as high (Tokyo was higher, Taiwan higher still). Despite the prevalence of masks, I was wearing an N95 out in Tokyo last night and some guy on the JR was laughing at me for it. I'm limiting time in crowded spaces and avoiding buffets. If that plus the mask wearing doesn't sound fun, then I can understand why you'd want to postpone. But I'm on a business trip, so it wasn't really meant to be fun. Mind you thousands of people are transiting airports in affected countries every day and flying to the US and Canada, and I'm not aware of any cases potentially picked up en route. Doesn't mean there won't be any, but the risks seem low based on what we've seen so far.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Flying out March 2nd ZUR>HKG for 2 days then on to Siem Reap for a week. Other than some flight and plane changes by Swiss and Cathay no plans to cancel.
bobbytables likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Having a lovely time all over Taiwan. Eating tons of street food, taking subways, now rented a car and driving around the south.

We wore masks on subway, and in Taipei on busy days - otherwise, not even bothering with mask.

It’s lovely, the weather is great, the food is delicious and the people are wonderful.

Going to japan in a month or two, and more of Asia next month.

Really, there is nothing worth fearing here from my perspective. Fussing about CV is just like chasing ghosts.

we chose to live our lives and travel. Not worry about things the media tells us to worry about
Badenoch and bobbytables like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:22 pm

Bravo. 24 cases in 24 million people. To anyone afraid of visiting Taiwan: just do it, get on with your life, and consider consuming news media a little less!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Having a lovely time all over Taiwan. Eating tons of street food, taking subways, now rented a car and driving around the south.

We wore masks on subway, and in Taipei on busy days - otherwise, not even bothering with mask.

It’s lovely, the weather is great, the food is delicious and the people are wonderful.

Going to japan in a month or two, and more of Asia next month.

Really, there is nothing worth fearing here from my perspective. Fussing about CV is just like chasing ghosts.

we chose to live our lives and travel. Not worry about things the media tells us to worry about
I would feel claustrophobic with a face mask on and unable to breathe.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I would feel claustrophobic with a face mask on and unable to breathe.

Wearing one right now in TTT airport to fly back to TPE.

We have n95 ones - so more intense than surgical
masks. Never worn one before, and it’s trivial at best.
Like wearing a hat in the sun. You really don’t notice it unless you are looking for something to complain about.

I don’t like riding in the back or cars, but I have to do it. Wearing a mask is certainly not a reason to skip Asia. (Especially because people here wear them normally anyway)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:49 am

Anyone else getting nervous about the virus? (cancellation cost fears etc)

And I mean not about actually catching it - but about major costs incurred due to cancellations?

We are meant to be going to Thailand in April, and we will go no matter what -- as long as the flights are going and the UK Foreign Office doesn't advise against travel to Thailand by then (as I wouldn't want to have my insurance invalidated).

A week ago everything was rosey in Italy and South Korea, and now several countries have banned visitors from those places and/or going there, with planes and everything being turned away. It can all change so quickly. To me it feels like an over-reaction, however, it makes me nervous for my travel this year. In "virus days", six weeks before I go seems like a very long time for something to develop in Thailand!

I feel like I have chosen all the "wrong" places to travel to this year, with trips to Thailand in April, Israel in June, and Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam in December (via HK)! Israel seems to be particularly quick at banning people or imposing severe restrictions.

I am hoping for the best, and yesterday I added travel disruption to my insurance policy which is meant to cover for forced cancellations in case these countries get added to the ban list... but as alway with these things, I don't know if I have missed any fine print and wouldn't actually be covered.

We both travel (for pleasure) for about 2.5 months of the year (the perks of being a teacher) but it means we have spent a very significant amount of our money on this year's trips, and I am having deathly fears of it all being lost. I feel like all I do is check the latest case updates to see it is spreading or slowing down and where it is.

Ugh. Sorry. Just needed to get it off my chest more than anything else.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
It's annoying - I'm in decent health myself so luckily don't have to cancel too readily but with a trip to Japan coming up in two weeks I just do not want to be hit with additional expenses with a potential quarantine or having to cancel and eat up the cost myself. Also have a trip China coming up this June but I suspect this is going to be cancellable. Renewing status may be a stretch if both have to be cancelled but that is very much a first world problem.

As someone who tries to find the best deals and book ~6 months in advance this is my personal hell But I can live with it.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:55 am

Nervous about the cost of cancelling, no. We have a trip booked for switzerland/italy at the end of May. Things are either going to be much worse then, or much better. If they're bad, we'll cancel well before that. Minus our flights we booked with points, everything else is refundable, hotels/airbnb/tours. Luckily, we didnt book any trains.

Ill up the ante as well...my wife is also pregnant...about 1 month in, so she will be 6 months in if we can go in May.

In the grand scheme of things, if you lose a couple grand, who cares. Its peanuts if you look at the big picture. Also, if sh*t really hits the fan, your health is much more important than a few thousand bucks.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:56 am

If you decide to cancel, you lose some money generally. That's how it goes.
I had a number of flights through HKG canceled (I would have gone with them) - which had a knock on effect of other flights not working anymore.
So, I've lost some hundred thousand points or so in various programs due to cancelations.

Agree with Krenn72... if costs what it will - and since most of don't buy refundable fares - it's the risk we take.
I'm out money - and a lot of time changing plans. But, that's travel for you.

--
That said, I just got back from Taiwan yesterday, and am heading back to Asia in two weeks, then again in another month.
I believe all the fears are 1000000% overblown. Take a few precautions if you insist, and enjoy your travels.

It's not stopping me at all.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I trust that there will be waivers if travel is really inadvisable
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:47 am

So I take it you are not worried about the virus. Because I know people who are, and they would be delighted to cancel their plans at all costs.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Yeah, I have a major trip coming up to Japan and my flight is via S. Korea (return is also via Korea). I'm worried that one or the other banning people from entering who have been in the other country. That would screw things up.
I'm not particularly worried about getting it in either country, nor is getting it that concerning as it doesn't seem particularly fatal to people in decent health in their 30s. My work even allows me to be paid during quarantine without using sick days via work from home or just paid leave depending on needs.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In terms of cancellation, if the FCO advice is don't go, then your travel insurance will pay out (can't guarantee that every policy will but the Watchdog programmes will be very interested in any that don't). In that case you won't lose out financially. Of course, the airline will cancel the flight also, and refund the money, so the insurers will be on the hook for anything else.

The more difficult question is when it's one of judgement. More information is becoming available the whole time, so there's no need to exercise that judgement currently. However, FWIW, it currently appears that, for most young and middle-aged healthy adults, catching it will be not very different from flu, and possibly no more dangerous (I'm typing this as I'm recovering from flu....). Two weeks self-isolation is about all that's needed.

But of course the situation could change, so don't make any more bookings now.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:45 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Yep, worried. I have two work TATLs booked to London in the next few months, which I've planned some personal travel around. Our company just declared an absolute ban on flights to Italy. If there are enough cases in London then I could see a hard ban on all European travel being imposed which will screw up my extra travel plans. And status renewal on UA was already going to be a challenge with the new requirements, so loosing two international flights will be a big blow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.