Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Interesting to hear some of you say you'd rule out Y if flying red-eye.
I think I've been inclined towards the opposite because, at least with red-eye flights, I'm more likely to sleep even in Y and therefore the flight may feel shorter and I'm not awake the entire time suffering in sardine can.
When flying TPAC, I find it important to try to sleep at least a few hours whether it's daytime departure or red-eye. Daytime departure + Y seat = pain and insomnia.

Originally Posted by Gig103
it took a few years for my brain to stop balking at the ticket price of J!
I'm trying to get there with having to pay 2x the money for PE. Unfortunately I think I will forever balk at paying for J. I don't think I will ever reach that financial milestone where I can afford J for every long-haul trips (I do 3-5 a year).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
So the majority in E+ on UA longhaul. I do try to avoid the 777W 10 across seating, that is horrible.
I think 9-abreast 787 feels even a bit worse than most 3-4-3 77W I've been in.
But yeah, either way, it's not fun.
E+ on UA only helps marginally, because it's the width where I'm hurting the most.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I try not to fly any flight without some kind of preferred seat. Aisle seat with extra leg room or exit row. UA's Economy Plus (coach with more leg room) means a lot to me. On routes over 6 hours I always price out a higher cabin and choose it when it makes sense financially. At least half the time, though, the premium cabin is too much of a price increase. Thus I've flown nonstop flights in UA's E+ up to 14.5 hours, longer with connections.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
No redeyes in Y.

It depends on the length of the flight and the number of time zones it crosses. The sum of those need to be less than 10 for me to do Y. Otherwise it is J.
That is a great formula that seems to fit my way of thinking as well.

I have flown from Sea-Ord-Fra-Kbp in Y...totally miserable experience. Super long flight time in the middle seat feeling icky by the end and terrible jet lag.

Also did Sea-Ord-Fra-Vce in F. Very nice. Showered in Fra and had enough energy to power through. Still nasty jet lag, but I was able to get enough rest on the plane to get to the hotel and get some food. In Kiev upon arrival, I think I fell asleep at dinner.

Sea-xxx-Mco is not bad at all...get out, walk and move and ready to go for leg two.

Sea-Mco which is pretty much max for here, and I get antsy and achy knees.

That is a good rule of thumb formula!
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Recently did a 3+ hour flight in Chile round trip. 2 hours is about the limit my lower back and ... can handle. Was kind of a forced experiment because there are no business class on any of the domestic Chile flights including on LAN. I even paid extra for row 1 seats which come with substantially more legroom.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by evergrn
Interesting to hear some of you say you'd rule out Y if flying red-eye.
I think I've been inclined towards the opposite because, at least with red-eye flights, I'm more likely to sleep even in Y and therefore the flight may feel shorter and I'm not awake the entire time suffering in sardine can.
When flying TPAC, I find it important to try to sleep at least a few hours whether it's daytime departure or red-eye. Daytime departure + Y seat = pain and insomnia.
I guess it depends on your personal ability to sleep in Y. I personally cannot sleep sitting up, so any night flight in Y means a sleepless night. An overnight westbound basically means 48 hours without sleep.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My (and my wife's) rule of thumb is to begin considering moving up from Y at about the 8 hour mark (depends on the specifics) and 100% moving up after 10 hours (block time) for a non-stop flight. If there are shot-haul flights as part of the itinerary before/after an 8+ hour long-haul, then the 8 or 10 hours decreases. Of course just a rule of thumb, not to say we wouldn't ever choose differently in the right situation.

Daytime trips where I'm not liable to be tired are on thing but if I know I'll need to sleep, I just can't do it in Y anymore. I used to be able to sleep anywhere, even sitting up in Y. But I can't do it anymore - well, not for more than maybe a 15 minute catnap. Related to overall sleep issues I have though but I don't see it improving as time goes on.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
. I don't think I will ever reach that financial milestone where I can afford J for every long-haul trips (I do 3-5 a year).
We had a thread like this before. Sometimes its not a question of "affordability" . Its more of a question of value derived from a premium cabin. Some people see value in flying J, most dont - especially if its one's own money, not someone elses (work)

If I had to work/meeting and be productive after a long flight, I'd definitely see more value in flying J. Thankfully, I dont.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
That is a great formula that seems to fit my way of thinking as well.

I have flown from Sea-Ord-Fra-Kbp in Y...totally miserable experience. Super long flight time in the middle seat feeling icky by the end and terrible jet lag.

Also did Sea-Ord-Fra-Vce in F. Very nice. Showered in Fra and had enough energy to power through. Still nasty jet lag, but I was able to get enough rest on the plane to get to the hotel and get some food. In Kiev upon arrival, I think I fell asleep at dinner.

Sea-xxx-Mco is not bad at all...get out, walk and move and ready to go for leg two.

Sea-Mco which is pretty much max for here, and I get antsy and achy knees.

That is a good rule of thumb formula!
It's worked pretty well for me - I've done daylight flights in Y in recent years:

CDG-DXB (7 hours + 2 timezones) - ok
DXB-MRU (7 hours + 0 timezones) - ok
JNB-DXB (8 hours + 2 timezones) - this was just barely tolerable.

(note that these were connections, such as CDG-DXB-MRU, but the connection in DXB was overnight in a hotel bed, so the connection was not really a factor in trip length).

But if any of these were redeyes, I think it would have been too much for me.

All of my other longhauls have been up front, and have been fine.
Owenc likes this.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Jan 13, 2020 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We had a thread like this before. Sometimes its not a question of "affordability" . Its more of a question of value derived from a premium cabin. Some people see value in flying J, most dont - especially if its one's own money, not someone elses (work)

If I had to work/meeting and be productive after a long flight, I'd definitely see more value in flying J. Thankfully, I dont.
This. I travel for anything up to 20 weeks a year, mainly to avoid the Austrian winter (I am semi retired and work seasonally).

My resources are reasonable but not limitless, so I could fly J all the time if I really wanted to. However, it is a trade off.

I spend much of my off season in South Africa, where I can rent a very comfortable suite, 5 minutes walk from the seaside bars and steak houses (and 10 minutes stagger back&#128521 for less than $400 a week.

The cost of living here is also incredibly cheap. That means that one round trip Y-J upgrade represents weeks of expenses.

At 42, I have (hopefully) many more years of travel to budget for, and I don't want to risk having to curtail my travel in the future, because I have spent too much on things that I don't value highly.

Yes, business class is nice. But is it really worth 3 weeks of digging my car out of the snow?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:21 am
HMO

I would like to say 0, but I work for a small company, where everybody flies in economy, even international, even the owner.

For leisure... I don't have a lot of money or miles, therefore I always travel in Y, even for very long trips.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:57 am
Original Poster

After getting some great input from many posts here and then taking into account my own threshold, I too have now come up with a formula.
Alright, don't mock me. I'm a math geek.

* Flight stress = [3 x (# flight hours)exp1.1 + (# time zone changes)exp1.1] x (1/5)
Ex:
SEA-TYO (10hr, 7 time zone changes) = 9.3
JNB-ATL (16hr, 7 time zone changes) = 14.4
BOS-SFO (5.5hr, 3 time zone changes) = 4.6

* Seat comfort = 14 + [9 x (seat width - 18.5) + 0.7 x (pitch - 36) x (absolute value of [pitch - 36])exp1.1)] x (1/6)
Ex:
18.5" wide & 36" pitch (PE): 14
17" wide & 34" pitch (E+): 11.2
17" wide & 32" pitch (long-haul Y): 9.6
17" wide & 30" pitch (domestic Y): 6.7

Seat comfort value would ideally exceed Flight stress value.
YuropFlyer, Owenc and HMO like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:04 am
HMO

After getting some great input from many posts here and then taking into account my own threshold, I too have now come up with a formula.
Alright, don't mock me. I'm a math geek.

* Flight stress = [3 x (# flight hours)exp1.1 + (# time zone changes)exp1.1] x (1/5)
Ex:
SEA-TYO (10hr, 7 time zone changes) = 9.3
JNB-ATL (16hr, 7 time zone changes) = 14.4
BOS-SFO (5.5hr, 3 time zone changes) = 4.6

* Seat comfort = 14 + [9 x (seat width - 18.5) + 0.7 x (pitch - 36) x (absolute value of [pitch - 36])exp1.1)] x (1/6)
Ex:
18.5" wide & 36" pitch (PE): 14
17" wide & 34" pitch (E+): 11.2
17" wide & 32" pitch (long-haul Y): 9.6
17" wide & 30" pitch (domestic Y): 6.7

Seat comfort value would ideally exceed Flight stress value.
I need to improve my Excel-fu. I'm not able to duplicate your results...
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:15 pm

I fly to Aus from the UK at least once a year and find it tolerable in Y. When I first started going regularly (family there) I flew in J and it was bliss but a few years ago I changed work circumstances and found I could no longer justify the significant extra cost to me. What I've found over these last few trips in Y is that it's not all about getting the best price but choosing the best 'package'. I always pay for an aisle seat and I'm now considering shelling out the extra for an exit row, still cheaper than J. I do dislike the pot luck element of who you might be sat next to, that can ruin the whole flight if it's bad.

A neck pillow has been my new Y friend which has helped me sleep a bit more than I used to but I don't suffer with jetlag so I'm getting away with the lack of sleep at the moment.

Having said all that, I have just returned from my latest trip flying Cathay Pacific, it was my first time in Y with them but they were my preferred J carrier and it was too much to be remembering how comfy those J beds were when I was struggling with a very wide man sat next to me, I think I will have to rule them out next time for this reason!
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMO
I need to improve my Excel-fu. I'm not able to duplicate your results...

Flight stress = (3*A^1.1+B^1.1)/5
where A = flight duration (hours); B = #time zones crossed

Seat comfort = 14+(9*(C-18.5)+0.7*(D-36)*(ABS(D)^1.1))*(1/6)
where C = seat with (inches); D = seat pitch (inches)

^ is actually the so-called "circum-flex accent" (exponent/power in Excel) which FT turns into an emoji.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.