Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
3 hours is my absolute max. Usually around 2-3 hours is where I’m looking at factors for F vs Y+ (time of day, meal service, etc). I apply the same time limits to driving. If it’s more than a 3 hour drive, I’m flying (or taking high speed train if available).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:51 pm

At the moment its no limit as I'm a youngster still. Even though I could afford to fly J on TATL sort of flights when they are at sale prices. I think in the long run it will be about 8-9 hour flights or longer before I consider paying cash for J. If you sleep for more than 5 hours on an eastbound TATL flight from east of Chicago even with a flat bed you're doing very well, but even then you'll still be knackered on day 1 in Europe, so you might as well put the money saved into better hotels and experiences.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Nine hours in any class is my limit due to hypoglycemia. Too little sleep (I don't sleep well on planes) and irregular meals are dangerous for me.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn

What's your limit beyond which you wouldn't consider flying Y?
Zero since 2003 and no sign of changing that.
trooper and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Good question, and one which I ask myself now every time that I book our tickets. (Our = me + my other half who HAS to have a window seat.)

I could do quite a bit in economy class if traveling solo, but with two of us I have to think about traveling as a pair. Traveling in economy or even economy plus means I'm stuck in the middle seat if I wish to sit next to my other half. I still vividly remember one man (aisle seat) who wouldn't get up for me on a flight so that I could go to the bathroom. So I try to avoid this scenario now on long haul flights.

For me - with my own situation of booking for two people - I will do economy or economy plus for 4 hours domestically. I will not do economy for an overnight flight. Anything outside the US, I would prefer business class.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Company travel is in J for flights over 6 hours, and I have the occasional SIN and MIA. But most of the time it's either HAM (45 minutes) or TLS (2 x 1,5 hours), which I'm happy to do down the back of the bus. On my own time and dime, wild horses couldn't drag me onto a long-haul aircraft in any class of travel, so it's a non-existing problem. I can get to anywhere in Europe worth going in 4 hours or less, and since it's the same miserable experience in both ends of the cabin, I choose to spend the money on beer and food at destination rather than on an airline seat..
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
8 hours

Is my limit
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
Don't ask me, ask my employer. I have no say in the matter.... Economy all the way baby, no exceptions.
Same here. Luckily I have very little work travel and have no international work trips.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I avoid Y if I possibly can. Regardless of the length I need an exit row or extra legroom aisle (window will work if I can get in and out unobstructed) if I have to be in the back of the bus. I am 6ft5 (195cm).
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
No redeyes in Y.

It depends on the length of the flight and the number of time zones it crosses. The sum of those need to be less than 10 for me to do Y. Otherwise it is J.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:34 pm

9 is probably my absolute limit. In NYC, so basically any trip to Europe I’ll try to suck it up but increasingly I’ve been looking for business club deals even for trips to Europe. Also flying more PE to Europe, I think that’s a good compromise

For trips to Asia forget it. I need lie-flat, aisle access, lounge access for layover. It got to a point where I would arrive after flying a long-haul flight in economy and I was a mess for two days, and cranky as hell to everyone around me that I figured it was worth the cost. So it’s become my mission to maximize points as much as possible to make the J travel happen.

My travel is mostly personal, I don’t travel for work.
Owenc and TravelChampion like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:45 pm

I'll fly any length of time in economy as I fall asleep as soon as I sit down no matter what time my flight is. I don't fly or spend enough for any points/status (I don't travel for work and just 2-3/year for vacation) and while I could spend the cash for a premium class seat, I'm still stuck in a metal tube and would rather spend the money once I'm on the ground. To each their own.
rankourabu and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:46 pm

6 hours for me
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by evergrn
Same here. Luckily I have very little work travel and have no international work trips.
The last 4 years I've flown 187k, 201k, 254k and last year 'only' 55k (change of jobs) respectively. Admittedly there was the odd upgrade in there, but every upgrade invoked spousal 'discussions' about family budgets and priorities as I had to pay out of my own pocket to upfare to even get into the lottery that was/is United GPU usage. Company travel policy specifically limted buying a more expensive class of ticket to use an upgrade.... . And UA had a very perverse sense of humor when it came to using upgrade instruments I had earned.... So the majority in E+ on UA longhaul. I do try to avoid the 777W 10 across seating, that is horrible. Apart from that it's honestly not disastrous as long as you don't have a person of size next to you. Then it is miserable.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Over 3 hours is when I start to give serious consideration to buying a domestic F ticket. Having an empty middle seat makes a world of difference when it happens, too, but if I want to guarantee the comfort I'd rather buy F than two Y/E+ seats.

I haven't flown in Y over an ocean since 2012 and I'm grateful for the financial ability to do so, although it took a few years for my brain to stop balking at the ticket price of J!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.