Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Depends on the purpose of the flight.

if it’s for a holiday somewhere nice - I’d rather spend the upgrade money on extending my stay. As I usually holiday in the Caribbean (ex UK), the price of the premium cabin is about the same as a second week’s stay. I take the attitude that on the way out I have the lovely hotel to recover in, and on the way back I can recover at home. Economy can be tolerated.

for business, where I’m expected to arrive ready to go, the premium cabin is an absolute must
Davvidd likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:20 pm
HMO

I just found out my current limit is two sequential segments of 12 and 10 hours each. 26 hours total with layover... (GRU-ADD-CAN)
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Depends on the purpose of the flight.

if it’s for a holiday somewhere nice - I’d rather spend the upgrade money on extending my stay. As I usually holiday in the Caribbean (ex UK), the price of the premium cabin is about the same as a second week’s stay. I take the attitude that on the way out I have the lovely hotel to recover in, and on the way back I can recover at home. Economy can be tolerated.

for business, where I’m expected to arrive ready to go, the premium cabin is an absolute must
Same with me too. I would rather spend on that kind of money on my stay but I also do travel a lot on PE so a lot easier on the long haul than in economy. The short flights like 4 hours yes in economy with an exit row seat is perfectly fine with me. If it is between economy and business class only then anything more than 7 hours and overnight flight, it has to be a business class flight.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMO
I just found out my current limit is two sequential segments of 12 and 10 hours each. 26 hours total with layover... (GRU-ADD-CAN)
I can still endure a single 12+ hour flight, but I increasingly find that tacking on connecting flights of any length afterwards is brutal, even in business class. Getting the shorter flight out of the first is a little better.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
I have no time limit on how long I will fly in economy class. I've done plenty of transpacific long hauls in the back of the plane, for example.

However, I have a limit on the length of flights for which I will consider an LCC or ULCC: four hours or crossing a major ocean. For internal flights within a region (Europe, Southeast Asia or North America, say) I am happy to fly ULCC up to four hours. After that point I will always opt for a full-service carrier.

I love Air Asia but I would never do long-haul with Air Asia X. I could never have survived the Kuala Lumpur-Stansted flights they used to operate, for example.

I'm also intrigued by Scoot's Berlin-Singapore service. I love the idea of a flight linking two of my favourite world cities non-stop but I couldn't imagine being in a budget carrier for that length of flight.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
I have no time limit on how long I will fly in economy class. I've done plenty of transpacific long hauls in the back of the plane, for example.

However, I have a limit on the length of flights for which I will consider an LCC or ULCC: four hours or crossing a major ocean. For internal flights within a region (Europe, Southeast Asia or North America, say) I am happy to fly ULCC up to four hours. After that point I will always opt for a full-service carrier.

I love Air Asia but I would never do long-haul with Air Asia X. I could never have survived the Kuala Lumpur-Stansted flights they used to operate, for example.

I'm also intrigued by Scoot's Berlin-Singapore service. I love the idea of a flight linking two of my favourite world cities non-stop but I couldn't imagine being in a budget carrier for that length of flight.
Do you mean AirAsia X normal economy class or their premium class?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Do you mean AirAsia X normal economy class or their premium class?
I wouldn't fly Air Asia X either way. ULCCs and LLCs are for short-haul flights only.
USA_flyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
I wouldn't fly Air Asia X either way. ULCCs and LLCs are for short-haul flights only.
Their premium economy is not bad compared to their prices with the flat beds. A lot cheaper than any other flat beds.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
For me, it's 8 hours... anything more than that, I'm going to pony up for premium economy. Or use miles for an UG.
cargueiro and Davvidd like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Body size/shape has got to play a role here - At 6'4" - 225# I'm far less "equipped" to sit in economy than my 5'1" 110# wife (of course, you'd never know it from her reaction when we're in coach ). I look at her swimming in her seat and can only dream of such luxury. When it comes to FF programs my #1 perk is space... in front of me beside me... whatever... I just want room. Exit row? Great. PC class with some free drinks? Even better. Obviously FC is great.

As for the OP... it depends on the situation but in general I'll do an island hop (I live in Hawaii) in coach or whatever and don't really care. Flying to the mainland - I have to have at least an exit row for the legroom. On the mainland I can go a couple hours in coach but am not happy. Much more than that in coach and it would have to be a last-minute emergency of some type.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 12:21 pm

Up to 4 hours is ok and I will do a longer day time flight if there is somewhere I particularly want to go and I can't get a decent business class deal. But I do have two absolute rules these days. I have to have an aisle seat on anything over a couple of hours and I do NOT fly overnight in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.