Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your limit (# hours) for flying Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
This is a good question, as it has caused me to think about how my flying patterns have changed in the last couple of years. Flying mostly for personal/family trips and the occasional work conference, I've been fortunate enough to make Platinum on Delta. As a Gold Medallion last year, I sat up front about 60% of the time, through a combination of paid FC and complementary upgrades. This year, albeit on only 8 segments so far, I've yet to sit in Y, although I suspect that will change after a few upcoming trips. Basically, If I really want to sit up front - which is normally the case on any flight longer than 4-5 hours - I'll pay for it with cash, miles or by using a certificate. I find that the flights that are less important as far as sitting upfront are the ones I tend to get upgraded on anyway, so it works out pretty well.
I pretty much have guaranteed Comfort Plus at this point, so I could easily sit there on anything up to 3-4 hours. Anything beyond that domestically, I'll likely pay to upgrade. For domestic FC (i.e. not a lie-flat), $50 an hour is my metric used to determine whether a paid upgrade is worth it to me. That number will occasionally increase to $75 an hour if it's a redeye or is on a lie-flat.

Internationally, I will usually book Premium Select or occasionally pay to upgrade to business after booking. On a trip SEA-ICN-HKT-ICN-SEA last year, I was in Premium on the DL flights and Y on the 6 hour ICN-HKT segments, which were redeye flights on Korean. I learned at that point that 6 hours in standard Y (i.e. not Comfort Plus or equivalent) is about my limit!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
6-8 for me, depending on time change involved. Been using cruise ships to cross oceans which, if one has the time, is more comfortable than FC, and a lot cheaper too even if you have to buy your booze (at extortionate.prices).

Done trans-Pacific by ship to Japan 2x, then 6 hr flying time from Japan to SE Asia. On the way back, up front in Air Asia X to HNL and then a 6 hr hop back home. To position for the last cruise, has to fly LAX-PPT which I did with a specific to keep my FF miles alive. A short (8hr) overnight with little time change (2 hrs) made it tolerable.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
At this point in my life, I'm not doing many flights longer than 6 hours. I also have a hard time justifying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a day or less worth of comfort. I'll compare my options and decide from there. It depends. I do however, value having at least an isle seat. Having the open space next to me and easier access to go to the bathroom is worth it for me.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:58 am

I can tolerate almost any duration. I prefer to spend the money I save at my destination.
rankourabu and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:59 am

I’m pretty fortunate, in my opinion. I learned about the points and miles hobby about a year in to my time in the military and started accumulating since. Now that I’m in college, and 24 years old, I’m in a position where I don’t have to fly economy if I don’t have to. Still, I tend to save my miles for dream redemptions and very long haul flights. I generally fly economy anything under 10 hours (although a few weeks ago my aircraft going from CDG-IAD got swapped for an older model with no AC power and very limited seat back entertainment which SUCKED). I’ve done less recently, but it’s for dream redemptions like EY apartments. I generally prefer window, but if I can snag an aisle on anything 6-10 hours, usually I can stretch out enough to make it worth it.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
About 2.5 hours block time or 900 miles.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
At this point in my life, I'm not doing many flights longer than 6 hours. I also have a hard time justifying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a day or less worth of comfort. I'll compare my options and decide from there. It depends. I do however, value having at least an isle seat. Having the open space next to me and easier access to go to the bathroom is worth it for me.
Haven't seen those since AA F in the 767s (2-1-2 config).
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:05 pm

Just did 13hrs in LX Y and 13hrs in SQ Y on the way back.

LX I had exit row ("unlimited" legroom) in their terrible 777, fully booked (but not overbooked..) while SQ I had had a very regular aisle seat.

I was a bit in luck that SQ wasn't full, and the row only had one other pax. We quickly figured out how to give each other the maximum possible comfort and took "sleeping turns", which worked out perfect.

But even with a fully booked SQ Y, their generic aisle seat beats LX exit row (which you'd usually need to pay half a fortune to book) by long means. Reasonable seat pitch, seat wide, and the seat itself is much more comfortable too.

All-in-all, SQ Y, as long as a I get an aisle seat, I'm fine with any duration (even on older aircrafts) - but I'll definitely avoid LX Y, unless maybe for a 6hrs day flight. No matter what kind of seat.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
All-in-all, SQ Y, as long as a I get an aisle seat, I'm fine with any duration (even on older aircrafts) - but I'll definitely avoid LX Y, unless maybe for a 6hrs day flight. No matter what kind of seat.
This is why its so hard to put a "limit" on it. Not all Y is created equally - especially if one has status and can get exit/bulkhead/etc

If I can get a bulkhead on United economy plus, I have no limit, bring a bag, put my feet up, sleep like a baby.
If I have to sit in a regular seat on a crappy airline (say Air Canada) - no thanks, the limit becomes much shorter

We just flew AC Y connecting to EK Y. Both were about 6.5 hours in duration, both eastbound. Its night and day in comfort. One was painful, the other one actually pleasant.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: QRPC
In a nice economy, I have no limit. Recently flew DOH-SYD in Y. The QRPC Gold status helped to select a nice upper deck window seat in the A380 though. It went past very quickly.

Low cost airlines: Maybe 3-4 hours?
Owenc likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
For me it’s about the seat.

I agree with others who rate their toleration of coach seats based on the type seat/plane. I plan my TATL or TPAC trips weeks in advance and chose airlines and seats that are wide enough, on the aisle, and in a row of two seats. So I usually end up in PE. If I plan ahead I can usually find that within $400-$500 of the coach price.

Flying domestic e.g. from SEA-NYC is about my limit in coach. And I’ll still try to upgrade to E+ or First if possible.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Really depends on the seats, whether it's a redeye, and the price difference. I used to be fine with whatever, but the older I get the longer it takes me to recover from a bad seat.

International outside of North America (so over 7 hours) I'll at least look at my options, and might consider using miles or jumping on a TOD upgrade. I'm more willing if it's a particularly nice J product, or the Y seats are extra-horrid (I've done this a handful of times just to avoid 10-across Y, and would happily do it again).

If it gets much over 10-11 hours I'm willing to pay more or consider flat-out paying the fare difference and booking in J to begin with. Employer only books in Y (will sometimes pay for PE upgrades if they're available and offered, but J is a hard no), so mainly I just try to avoid frequent travel to begin with.
Owenc likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:50 pm

I can do 9-10h TATL (even on the 10-across 777) more easily than a 5h domestic flight. Not sure why.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:28 pm

I'm okay with any duration in Y. Some research on airline, seat assignments, IFE, etc goes a long way to making the journey tolerable and I prefer to use the money saved for the holiday.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I agree with others who rate their toleration of coach seats based on the type seat/plane. I plan my TATL or TPAC trips weeks in advance and chose airlines and seats that are wide enough, on the aisle, and in a row of two seats. So I usually end up in PE. If I plan ahead I can usually find that within $400-$500 of the coach price.
This - I absolutely will not do any TATL or TPAC in economy. For transcon, I can do up to 4-5 hours, if the seat/plane combo is right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.