Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Gary Kelly CEO is on CNBC now and he stated Boeing has found yet another issue and Max will be grounded through the end of the year. Not too new however this can of worms gets worse
And he said WN will be dropping EWR service as part of its plans to mitigate the lack of MAX aircraft.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Simulators have a long lead time and they're not cheap at $10m a pop. I doubt boeing will buy any until the FAA and EASA mandate sim time.
If Boeing thinks like this, they are idiots.

The fallout from the 737 Max issue is measured in billions. It would be smarter to place an order for 200x units at $10M a pop and send them for free to various airlines as a goodwill gesture than it would be to wait until sim time is mandated.

Especially since it's a very high probability that the regulatory agencies outside the USA won't feel the kind of consideration that the FAA has for Boeing, and they're likely to mandate re-certification to cover their own arse.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Plato90s

The fallout from the 737 Max issue is measured in billions. It would be smarter to place an order for 200x units at $10M a pop and send them for free to various airlines as a goodwill gesture than it would be to wait until sim time is mandated.

Especially since it's a very high probability that the regulatory agencies outside the USA won't feel the kind of consideration that the FAA has for Boeing, and they're likely to mandate re-certification to cover their own arse.
Let's not forget the fallout of the workers that are being laid off not only at BA but throughout the airlines system world wide it sucks yet no one is being held accountable. If one looks through all the reports and articles written there has not been any thing written about the exact cause and who authorized what at least what I have read. If this was politics the press would have been all over this one. As Kelly said in his interview the competitors are taking advantage of this and he doesn't like it. I might add to that AB is taking huge advantage of this costing our economy in the end billions not millions. Yet here we sit. The longer this thing goes the longer it's going to take the flying public to accept the MAX unless you're on SW then your choices will be limited. I bet AB is pressing SW hard and frankly I wouldn't blame them to dump BA planes.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!

Boeing won't volunteer to spend that money unless it is forced to and frankly, neither would I. What I imagine will happen is Boeing will buy sim time from other training providers until it can ramp up it's own provision. It may also elect to provide big buyers of the MAX like SWA, AA and UA their own simulators. Assuming of course sim time training is mandated.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's not forget the fallout of the workers that are being laid off not only at BA but throughout the airlines system world wide it sucks yet no one is being held accountable. If one looks through all the reports and articles written there has not been any thing written about the exact cause and who authorized what at least what I have read. If this was politics the press would have been all over this one. As Kelly said in his interview the competitors are taking advantage of this and he doesn't like it. I might add to that AB is taking huge advantage of this costing our economy in the end billions not millions. Yet here we sit. The longer this thing goes the longer it's going to take the flying public to accept the MAX unless you're on SW then your choices will be limited. I bet AB is pressing SW hard and frankly I wouldn't blame them to dump BA planes.
It will be a cold day in hell before SWA dumps Boeing. SWA will be able to extract all sorts of claw backs, compensations and discounts from Boeing on future MAX deliveries however.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Boeing won't volunteer to spend that money unless it is forced to and frankly, neither would I. What I imagine will happen is Boeing will buy sim time from other training providers until it can ramp up it's own provision. It may also elect to provide big buyers of the MAX like SWA, AA and UA their own simulators. Assuming of course sim time training is mandated.
If Boeing doesn't think it's a good business decision to buy simulators now so it'd be available in 3 months when airlines will be demanding it, then they're idiots.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:09 am

It will be a cold day in hell before SWA dumps Boeing. SWA will be able to extract all sorts of claw backs, compensations and discounts from Boeing on future MAX deliveries however.
Oh I agree with you was just "supposing" Kelly made that perfectly clear on CNBC this morning and I get it. What is going to be interesting if the Max gets back in the air and that's doubtful until well into the first quarter of 2020 how the public will accept it surely the spin doctors are going to be all over this one.

Boeing is going to be discounting to ALL the carriers remember AS is another loyal BA carrier.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Boeing doesn't think it's a good business decision to buy simulators now so it'd be available in 3 months when airlines will be demanding it, then they're idiots.
Boeing may well be going to the market now to see what pricing and lead time it can get from the several vendors in the flight simulator market. They will all be aggressively chasing that business.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:47 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

Penny wise and pound foolish sums up BA now with 20/20 Hindsight on everything with the Max, and the pounds are really adding up. Pretty soon they could have done the max and a new airplane for what the stoppage is costing them, if it doesn't totally ruin the company.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Clawbacks, price cuts etc. etc. sadly none increase the number of seats SWA can put in the air, what a sad situation for the many airlines caught going all in with BA for their capacity growth and now are up the creek with no paddle.

You'd argue why anyone at SW now cares about being fanatic follower and exclusive to BA after how they screwed them for all their growth and capacity for the next few years. The reason SW is all BA is all about business and logistic they have, other airlines are successful with dual plans and AS as an example is absorbing a lot of dual company with the merger with the Virgin fleet

Last edited by chipmaster; Jul 25, 2019 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Penny wise and pound foolish sums up BA now with 20/20 Hindsight on everything with the Max, and the pounds are really adding up. Pretty soon they could have done the max and a new airplane for what the stoppage is costing them, if it doesn't totally ruin the company.
To be fair, the airlines did push for the Max. Where Boeing messed up was in the implementation of MCAS.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
And now they have issues on the 777X due to new engine issues they are pushing that envelope does one think? Maybe China will buy BA
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
And now they have issues on the 777X due to new engine issues they are pushing that envelope does one think? Maybe China will buy BA
Cold day in hell that China is allowed to purchase Boeing. You have a better chance of winning the lottery not even playing and somehow stumbling across a winning ticket in the gutter.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was always a big BA fan and happy to disparage government-subsidized Airbus. But BA gets what it deserves. Completely lost trust of the public and deservedly so. A series of bad decisions beginning with the flawed design. The decision tree seems very similar to the Ford Pinto and GM Cobalts, and the "in denial" reaction after the first accident.

Would not bother me the least to see the MAX program shuttered. WN, AS and others can go to the Arizona boneyard if they are really desperate for planes, otherwise they can go to the used 737 purchase and leasing market or get in line at Airbus.

Personally I am happy to pay higher air fares if elimination of the MAX temporarily results in fewer scheduled flights (might even reduce ATC delays though alas it appears that hub flights are not the ones being cancelled).

If Boeing is not careful it will be headed down the same path as PG&E and Wells Fargo.
DenverBrian and 84fiero like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I was always a big BA fan and happy to disparage government-subsidized Airbus. But BA gets what it deserves. Completely lost trust of the public and deservedly so. A series of bad decisions beginning with the flawed design. The decision tree seems very similar to the Ford Pinto and GM Cobalts, and the "in denial" reaction after the first accident.

Would not bother me the least to see the MAX program shuttered. WN, AS and others can go to the Arizona boneyard if they are really desperate for planes, otherwise they can go to the used 737 purchase and leasing market or get in line at Airbus.

Personally I am happy to pay higher air fares if elimination of the MAX temporarily results in fewer scheduled flights (might even reduce ATC delays though alas it appears that hub flights are not the ones being cancelled).

If Boeing is not careful it will be headed down the same path as PG&E and Wells Fargo.
I honestly think the US government would not allow Boeing to fail. It's simply too important to the economy in terms of trade and jobs and cachet.
Boraxo and Global321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.