Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
+1. Airlines are not going to get rid of overhead bins. It would decrease cargo space, increase baggage handling costs and result in further delays at the carousels. It's preferable to have one-third to one-half of the bags carried on and off the plane by passengers.

What would help and be achievable is greater scrutiny at the gate. Currently, BA and some other airlines are tagging personal items. Doing the reverse and requiring tags for all bags in the overhead might be more appropriate. Any untagged bag in the overhead would be removed and checked. Untagged personal items would have to go under the seat.

A more dramatic step would be reducing the carry-on dimensions to the personal item size. There would be more room in the overhead and people could still carry on essential items. It would however, like removing overheads, create additional costs for the airlines and delays for passengers as millions of former carry-on bags would require being checked.
I see some attempt at sense in some of that Badenoch. Tagging ONE item per person for overhead bins and insisting all other be put under the seat or gate checked, would certainly put a crimp in some people's plans. I would not say BA is doing a good job of trying their version of that with tagging 'personal items' to be put under the seat though. Here's why. I usually check a bag and then board with one small backpack. It is my 'carry-on' bag and as such I am as entitled to put it in the overhead bin as someone who has a rollaboard suitcase as their 'carry-on' bag. That it might be small enough to fit under the seat does not mean that I am not equally as entitled to use the overhead bins as anyone else. Do you agree?

BA does as you say tag 'personal items' to be put under the seat but the problem is they make that decision based on size, not based on how many items a person is carrying on. A few months back I had the misfortune to fly with BA and had to tell the GA on 3 flights that no, my backpack was not my 'personal item' it was my 'carry-on' and I would not be putting it under the seat just so that someone who insisted on carrying on a bigger bag could use the overhead bin. The only 'rule' regarding what constitutes a 'carry-on' bag any airline has that I know of is the maximum dimensions, not the minimum dimensions. So even tagging bags either way will still allow room for conflict.

Reducing carry-on dimensions might seem dramatic but in reality I think all it would do is result in people trying to carry on more pieces. ie. 3 instead of 2 as is the current average number of pieces per passenger. There are enough people now who do that or have a maximum size carry-on for each of their children plus a 'personal item' per child, etc. How about women who are allowed a 'hand bag' the size of a small car? LOL

No matter what an airline tried, I think the underlying problem would remain the same. People want to carry on more than there is space to stow. Why doesn't matter really, what is is. So no matter what you try to change in terms of carry on rules the result will be the same, they will still try to carry on more than can be stowed UNLESS you either limit carry on to what can be stowed or insist they check everything except one small bag each that can fit under the seat.

When I think back 30 years or more, people carried on a coat, maybe a hat and a briefcase. Overhead space was never an issue. It is only when people started wanting to carry on LUGGAGE that it became a problem.

I have a dramatic suggestion for you Badenoch. What if the airlines left the maximum dimensions the same but changed the rule to 'no wheels'. Now that might have an affect when people realized they would have to actually CARRY ON what they wanted in the cabin.

If you can recall back to before Bernard Sadow put wheels on a suitcase (48 years ago now) and how people travelled, overhead bin fights did not exist. When someone got to the airport to check in, they either hired a porter or lugged their bags to check-in themselves and got rid of them as quickly as they could. The idea of walking through an airport with a 'carry-on' bag that maybe weighed 50 lbs. is not one anyone was interested in contemplating. Bernard Sadow has a lot to answer for along with Robert Plath a Northwest airline pilot who invented the 2 wheel 'rollaboard' in 1987 and started selling them to fellow air crew. The era of 'overhead bin fights' had begun.
muji likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
There are various reasons why 'unbundling' is so popular, not just one. When the majority of air travellers today go online and book a flight based almost solely on price, the airlines have little alternative but to find the way to show the lowest price possible. That means unbundling so that the price shown is pretty much only the price for the seat and a rubber chicken 'meal' if you can call it a meal.

At the end of the day an airline is a business like any other. They need to make a profit to survive or even have a reason to bother being in business. "Raising revenue' as you call it is not a bad thing, it is a necessity. Or do you think a business should not make a profit? Whether people want to blame businesses for things they don't like or not does not change the fact that it is ALWAYS the consumer who drives things. The people always get what the people deserve. If we don't look at anything beyond price, then it should be no surprise if a business finds a way to show us the lowest price and then add on for things after that, so that they can make a profit.
I'm fine with them making a profit. I'm not fine with them advertising one price and having a bunch of additional fees that are difficult to avoid, but my feelings are not relevant. I'm just disagreeing with the statement that removing the bins wouldn't cause it to cost you more to fly.

Do you really think that if they removed the bins, they would reduce the price to check a bag, or reduce the price of a ticket by the amount to check a bag? No, they would keep everything the same and flying would cost $30 more. The price that they advertise would be the same, but your out of pocket cost would go up.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Well we can agree to disagree on whether the better solution is to remove the offender or remove the reason for offenders offending. No bins, no cause to offend.

I can't buy your 'access your baggage while in flight' at all. That's being a bit disingenuous I'd say. No one wants to access their 'baggage' as in go through their clothing, toiletries etc. You carry essentials needed in flight in a small bag I'm sure strickerj. That's why the airlines list a carry-on plus 'personal article' usually and they are required to be able to fit under the seat, so no need for an overhead bin at all. I'm pretty sure you know that.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

Or are you trying to tell me that you see lots of people getting their roll-aboard suitcase out of the overhead bins during flight and rummaging through them to find something? LOL That dog won't hunt strickerj.
I guess you don't fly long haul. yes, on longer flights people change their clothes (particularly if they are going to a different temperature zone than they left); change to sleep in; wash with their wash kits in the toilet; do work with their laptops, iPads, notebooks and files; read their books... actually access many parts of their luggage. Of course they may not access the fragile items they packed in hand-luggage because they didn't want it thrown around by baggage handlers but they still want it in the cabin. I don't see any of the above as being unreasonable.

So I don't think removing overhead bins or banning carry-ons is the answer. As someone else noted, if you are in Business Class, it's not a cost issue. For me, I travel hand-luggage only because of speed. I am often on business trips of 1 or 2 days, with meetings straight after landing and right before departure and all that extra time hanging around picking up and dropping off bags really adds up if you do it every day.

Now... if they introduced a service whereby the luggage would be available at the gate right as you walk off the plane... sure... I might let some of my luggage go.

I'd also note that the amount of luggage that can be carried, and the strictness with which it is enforced, varies hugely around the world. In most of Asia, just about everyone carries as much as they can possibly carry (and fills their check baggage allowance as well) mostly as a matter of culture. They have to bring lots of presents for friends and family they visit and visa versa on the way home. I have a friend married to a Thai lady and his description of what she packs was hilarious. Basically the entire kitchen and wardrobe.... But I digress.

Australia is an interesting example. Australian domestic luggage allowance is different from "standard". It allows two small pieces, or 1 small piece, but not big pieces. Internationally, you can take the bigger piece on board, but the weight is strictly enforced - NOT by the airline, but by the airport dragon who hides behind a curtain and grabs people just as they walk into the customs area. (There are many strategies for getting around this, but the fact is, it really does limit what you can take on board). Which means much more luggage is checked and less problems on board. Is it the right answer? Not really, it really irritates me that I have to have a competely different travel strategy for Aussie trips, but it does highlight that there are different ways of enforcing things around the world.

Frankly, a better option (if we had the technology, and I'm sure we will soon) is a "tradable bin space allowance". You get such an allowance (which is precisely your share of the available bins, so if there are 100 bins and 200 seats on the plane, your allowance is 0.5 bin, for example). Thus if everyone carried their allowance on board, the bins would be exactly full. Then, if you need more space than your allowance, you "trade" for it. This is the economically rational solution (at this point you realise I'm an economic consultant ) which solves all the problems. We just need the technology to make it work. Give it a few years!
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.

Last edited by fairhsa; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:19 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fairhsa
I guess you don't fly long haul. yes, on longer flights people change their clothes (particularly if they are going to a different temperature zone than they left); change to sleep in; wash with their wash kits in the toilet; do work with their laptops, iPads, notebooks and files; read their books... actually access many parts of their luggage. Of course they may not access the fragile items they packed in hand-luggage because they didn't want it thrown around by baggage handlers but they still want it in the cabin. I don't see any of the above as being unreasonable.

So I don't think removing overhead bins or banning carry-ons is the answer. As someone else noted, if you are in Business Class, it's not a cost issue. For me, I travel hand-luggage only because of speed. I am often on business trips of 1 or 2 days, with meetings straight after landing and right before departure and all that extra time hanging around picking up and dropping off bags really adds up if you do it every day.

Now... if they introduced a service whereby the luggage would be available at the gate right as you walk off the plane... sure... I might let some of my luggage go.

I'd also note that the amount of luggage that can be carried, and the strictness with which it is enforced, varies hugely around the world. In most of Asia, just about everyone carries as much as they can possibly carry (and fills their check baggage allowance as well) mostly as a matter of culture. They have to bring lots of presents for friends and family they visit and visa versa on the way home. I have a friend married to a Thai lady and his description of what she packs was hilarious. Basically the entire kitchen and wardrobe.... But I digress.

Australia is an interesting example. Australian domestic luggage allowance is different from "standard". It allows two small pieces, or 1 small piece, but not big pieces. Internationally, you can take the bigger piece on board, but the weight is strictly enforced - NOT by the airline, but by the airport dragon who hides behind a curtain and grabs people just as they walk into the customs area. (There are many strategies for getting around this, but the fact is, it really does limit what you can take on board). Which means much more luggage is checked and less problems on board. Is it the right answer? Not really, it really irritates me that I have to have a competely different travel strategy for Aussie trips, but it does highlight that there are different ways of enforcing things around the world.

Frankly, a better option (if we had the technology, and I'm sure we will soon) is a "tradable bin space allowance". You get such an allowance (which is precisely your share of the available bins, so if there are 100 bins and 200 seats on the plane, your allowance is 0.5 bin, for example). Thus if everyone carried their allowance on board, the bins would be exactly full. Then, if you need more space than your allowance, you "trade" for it. This is the economically rational solution (at this point you realise I'm an economic consultant ) which solves all the problems. We just need the technology to make it work. Give it a few years!
Actually, I am more a long haul flyer these days than short haul. And yes, I do many of the things you list that people do. I do them from my small backpack that I carry on board. There is nothing in your list that makes carrying on ALL your stuff for your entire trip necessary. So that dog won't hunt fairhsa. If there were no overhead bins, you could still do all of that from a bag that fits under the seat.

Regarding 'speed', that is the nearly universal, 'why I must carry-on' response. But the simple fact is that while you may prefer it for your business travel, it does not make it a necessity. What do you think people did before 'rollaboards' became available? They checked their bag and wonder of wonders, still managed to do business wherever they went. So while you have a 'preference' that does not make it a 'necssity.' I'm sure you don't want to suggest that if you had to check a bag, you would not be able to figure out how to manage your time accordingly. So that dog won't hunt either fairhsa.

I do see some merit in your 'bin space allocation' idea though. I would be fine with each passenger being allocated a portion of bin space but that has some practical considerations that probably make it impractical. Not all bins are created equal for a start. You would have to insure that each airplane had the same standard size bins as every other airplane. Otherwise if you were entitled to say half a bin, your 'carry-on' might fit in one but not another within your allocated space. That alone probably makes the idea impractical for airlines to do.

Then there is the question of just how much space would each passenger actually be allocated even assuming all bins were the same size. Do you really think there is 100 bins for 200 passengers as an average for example. I don't think so. One bin above a row of 3 passengers would mean an allocation of 1/3 while one bin above 2 passengers would mean an allocation of 1/2 as you suggest but again what if your 'carry-on' needed half a standard bin? OK, lets say 'carry-on' will have to be max sized to fit 1/3 of a bin. Then when you are allocated 1/2 of a standard bin because you are seated in a row of 2, there would be 1/3 of the bin left empty presumably. Hmm, I think the airlines would then have to start agreeing on a standard number of seats per bin to avoid that. No, too many factors to control, not practical fairhsa.

As for 'trading' for someone else's excess space, that's hilarious. I can see it now. I have one small backpack I throw in my half of the overhead space I'm allocated. Someone gets on with a 'carry-on' that fills their half and wants my excess space to put their second item in. I say, 'don't bother me, I'm not interested in you paying me $5 for my space. Stick your second item under the seat.' Oops, the person gets irate, tries to insist I sell, etc. etc. Next thing you know, it's a 'bin fight'.

Or how about if someone has excess space and says, 'yes, I'll sell it to you but not for $5. How badly do you want my space? I'll sell it for $25.' Umm, 'bin fight'. Stick to economic consulting fairhsa, running an airline is not your forte. LOL

I'm back to the simple solution. Want to stop bin fights, remove the bins. What do you do when two kids can't play together without one wanting the item the other has? Answer, you take away the item and tell them if they can't play nice, they won't get to play with that item any more.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Badenoch
My approach to this is quite straightforward. If I have two bags one is my carry-on and the other is my personal item. The carry-on goes into the overheard. The personal item goes under the seat. If I have one bag it becomes my carry-on and goes into the overhead regardless of its size. FAs who have told me to put my lone carry-on under my seat are informed that it's my only bag and they relent. Passengers who attempt to remove my bag with permission are told in fairly blunt terms to put it back where it was.
My view as well, although my soft spoken words are generally ignored by people in desperate situations.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by vanillabean

My view as well, although my soft spoken words are generally ignored by people in desperate situations.
speak softly and carry a big bag.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:44 pm

I agree that overhead space unless its Basic Economy is yours first come first served. Whether in First Class or Economy Class its your storage space. For me I only travel with a backpack and store it in the overhead compartment to maximize my legroom. Especially since I like the bulkhead row you are required to put your luggage in the overhead compartments for takeoff, taxing and landing.

On a United flight I arrived at my bulkhead seat and a man had already stored his luggage above and I placed my bag one aisle down in the bin. No sweat. We lucked out that no one had the middle seat so I stored my headphone case there and the man stored a small item. Very pleasant flight!

In First Class I just put my stuff up where it needs to go and have never been questioned by a passenger. Makes me wonder if this passenger never flies in First Class or deserved to be downgraded.

First come first served also takes place on Southwest for seating arrangements. Sorry if you are not in line to board when you are called then you get the luck of the draw!

In situations like this I just get the flight attendant involved and let him or her take care of it.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I agree 100%. Heck I've probably made the same post in this thread already. I see about a million people boarding planes with their large roller bag and a second, slightly smaller roller bag (or a giant backpack or the abovementioned guitar, etc) of which there is NO WAY its going to fit under the seat. Scaling back the "second, small personal item" to what its intended to be (purse, laptop bag, small backpack, etc) would cure almost all the OH issues.
That is I think the issue in this thread. One roller bag? Fine. Goes in the bin. Small personal item, like a small backpack or a computer bag? Something I take all the time and fits without problem under my legs, without bothering me stretching my legs under the Y-seat in front of me. Not any need to use the bin. Indeed, more convenient to have it under my legs since then I can read the stuff in the small backpack or use my computer. I avoid emergency or bulkhead seats for that reason. My small personal item is always with me and not in the bin, even if it is the only item I have on me. It is all about policing the size of the personal item, imho.
muji likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Agreed. Defining a personal item as soft sided “squishy” due to various underseat space limits would be a good step. It’s those who travel with roller briefcases or hard sided personal items who cause problems as these rarely if ever fit under the seat. Most annoying as it usually happens in F with frequent flyers, or MCE again with frequent business travelers.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Segments
Agreed. Defining a personal item as soft sided “squishy” due to various underseat space limits would be a good step. It’s those who travel with roller briefcases or hard sided personal items who cause problems as these rarely if ever fit under the seat. Most annoying as it usually happens in F with frequent flyers, or MCE again with frequent business travelers.
I wouldn't ever dare place a fragile thing that I am carrying on into a "Squishy" soft sided bag. Things could get dropped on it or slammed against it even while in an overhead compartment. It may still get damaged if impacted heavily, but you have a better chance of it being protected in a hard case, that is why most people have a sturdy type carry on as well as luggage.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I wouldn't ever dare place a fragile thing that I am carrying on into a "Squishy" soft sided bag. Things could get dropped on it or slammed against it even while in an overhead compartment. It may still get damaged if impacted heavily, but you have a better chance of it being protected in a hard case, that is why most people have a sturdy type carry on as well as luggage.
Carry on item could still be hard sided and contain your fragile item. Personal item would need to be soft sided to fit under seat. Your fragile item can either go in your hard sided case in overhead or at your feet in a soft sided bag. Your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.