Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
Person A sounds like a jerk, but doesn't hold a candle to the gentleman on my transcontinental flight who got into a shouting match with another guy because he put his bag in the bin over his seat. In the forward cabin. On a 772.

It got heated enough that the captain came back and talked to the both of them before we pushed back.

Was quite amusing.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
KLM asks as a standard to put small bags under the seat and use the space in the bins for rollers, regardless if you have a roller and a personal item or only a personal item. In fact I if I travel with a small bag only I always put it under my legs, never in the bin - so that I have my computer and earplugs at hand - and since the bag is under my legs, not under the seat in front of me, it does not affect my leg space. I'd say the request of A is perfectly logical, give or take a bit the style and wording.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
So just for the record, this conversation has mostly been had plenty of times before. Most people agree with OP and that if one wants to preserve leg room by not bringing anything other than a small bag and put that in the bin, they are entitled to. A small (and IMO totally incorrect) minority view holds that small items should be placed under seats so that others can use the overhead bin for larger items.

The nuance here is that this is a pax to pax request, when in the past this has been the request of an FA who is trying to make room and save time. This, IMO, is a critical difference. While I don't think any pax should be asked to give up their legroom if they only brought one item on board, a pax making this request of another pax is just not appropriate.
I believe this is the correct approach. You have one piece of luggage and you board ahead of the other PAX, you are entitled to your OH space. Another PAX can rearrange it in bin. And if FA asks whether it is OK to move, answer is "Of course! "
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Get the branded credit card so you board first or near the start of the process. Get over it and welcome to 2018. The only time I say something is when people put their roll-on bags in inefficiently, such as sideways when wheels-first would be a better use of space.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: DL aa UA
If all I have is a backpack and its a full flight I put it underneath the seat in front of me. Lets quit being xxxx to each other, and this includes those that ignore the carry on rules. If the flight doesn't look full I will put it in the overhead but will move it if someone needs to stow their bag. The bigger beef for me are the rude .......s that stow their bags in your space and then walk to their seat 15 rows behind you.
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by obscure2k; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dan Montgomery
If all I have is a backpack and its a full flight I put it underneath the seat in front of me. Lets quit being dicks to each other, and this includes those that ignore the carry on rules. If the flight doesn't look full I will put it in the overhead but will move it if someone needs to stow their bag.
Why am I being a xxxx to someone for not making myself even less comfortable for several hours while others aren’t xxxx for being too cheap or too incovenienced to wait 15 minutes at bag claim to check their roll-a-board? (Heck if it’s gate checked, it’s free at that point so it’s not even a “cheapness issue there). Yes I realize the airlines partially created this problem by instituting bag fees and some of this is a reaction to those fees but why am I xxxx for not wanting to “ suffer” (in a first world sense of the word) someone else?

Last edited by obscure2k; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: removed profanities
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522
Almost every flight I've been on the announcement has been made that your small personal item goes under the seat in front of you. The quantity of carry on luggage does not change the type of luggage it is.
This misses the point. If I have only a backpack, that's my carry-on. I don't have a personal item.

Every passenger is entitled to one (and no more than one) carry-on. There are maximum size restrictions on the carry-on, but no minimum.
pvn and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not DL-specific, I am moving the thread to TravelBuzz. It will likely be merged with another thread (I also am a Mod in TravelBuzz)
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This misses the point. If I have only a backpack, that's my carry-on. I don't have a personal item.

Every passenger is entitled to one (and no more than one) carry-on. There are maximum size restrictions on the carry-on, but no minimum.
Your backpack is a personal item. Get it out of the overhead bin.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb9522

Your backpack is a personal item. Get it out of the overhead bin.
Or put your backpack in an otherwise empty rollaboard. And take up two to three times as much bin space.
D130, D130, muji and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jah718
I know this is unrelated to DL, but BA have a policy where if someone has a small piece of hand luggage, they put a yellow tag on it, this means that all yellow tagged bags have to go under the seat.

I am 100% against this, as you are essentially rewarding people for bringing a bigger bag on to the plane. if i want to put my backpack up top, I should be able to do it.
until someone has a bag that only fits in the overhead and there is no space ...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum | DL Platinum
First: This is such a first world problem
Second: DL flight attendants don't enforce ... they inform.
Third: You know what would be nice? (and not Minnesota Nice because that only means practicing the art of passive-aggressiveness) ... if people would watch out for others and help out each other. Give someone a hand when they're struggling with their heavy carry-on. Seriously, have you ever seen a 95-pound businesswoman try to muscle a roll-aboard into an overhead bin? It's hard. People! Give your fellow passengers a hand. Make a friend. Be part of the solution and not a creator of another problem.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by BoundToTravel
First: This is such a first world problem
Second: DL flight attendants don't enforce ... they inform.
Third: You know what would be nice? (and not Minnesota Nice because that only means practicing the art of passive-aggressiveness) ... if people would watch out for others and help out each other. Give someone a hand when they're struggling with their heavy carry-on. Seriously, have you ever seen a 95-pound businesswoman try to muscle a roll-aboard into an overhead bin? It's hard. People! Give your fellow passengers a hand. Make a friend. Be part of the solution and not a creator of another problem.
I would be quite worried if I was having anything other than first world problems....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Oh my. Such horrible problems for the 1%.

It would be nice to see two business class passengers duke it out and get dragged off the plane by the police. Just my take on this absolutely trivial issue.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I'm more annoyed by the people who bring along various large, bulky "toys" such as musical instruments or big stuffed animals and fill the overhead bins with them. I am sure some destinations see more of this than others. MCO, for example. I was flying home from there once and there were a bunch of college students on board who brought along their acoustic guitars. Guess where they put them? Hint: not under the seats. This was in addition to their roller bags which also went into the overhead bins.

Not to change the subject entirely, but one time I was the very last person to board a 737 and by that time all the overhead bins were presumably full (the doors were all closed). I had a largeish bag (not a roller) and I managed to squeeze it under the seat in front of me. Yes, I had NO legroom (on a MDW-OAK flight!) but it certainly did fit. Sure, I know the largest legal-sized carry-on won't fit under there but it certainly surprised me what would actually fit.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.