Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One item in the bin, regardless of size (subject to crew-determined size restrictions; no one's carrying on a steamer trunk).
So if you checked your rollaboard, you put the backpack in the bin.
Anyone ever offered to put the small backpack they want to move under the seat in front of their seat? Assuming both passengers are seating nearby one another, why not?
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rickg523
Anyone ever offered to put the small backpack they want to move under the seat in front of their seat? Assuming both passengers are seating nearby one another, why not?
Serious answer: Because I don't want anyone's feet near my backpack, especially when it has electronics and a laptop in it.

Heck, I hardly want my own feet near it. Last thing I want is to accidentally shift my feet and crush something in my bad, and I'm going to be careful with my own stuff. I can't trust anyone else to do the same with my property. I usually won't put my bag up in the bin for the same reason, but I'll do so on a short flight where most people aren't going to be rummaging through the overhead bins mid-flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zulu1128
If all a person has is a backpack, then I think it’s fine to put it in the bin. Suitcase + backpack = now we’re going to have a chat.
exactly! My sentiment as well.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Person A hasn't met me.
charlesdemar likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:24 pm

Qantas is attempting to resolve this (although TBH it's really not much of a problem in Australia- see below) two ways:

1. At the gate, if people have two bags, the attendant ties a red tag on the smaller one and tell the passenger it has to go under the seat
2. On boarding, making announcements to the effect "if you are travelling with two bags, please place only the larger item in the overhead locker, and the smaller item under the seat in front of you"

I suspect one reason why this is not such a major issue in Australia is that all the airlines have allocated seating - there is no mad dash or boarding group. Seems to reduce the "got to get on first with my 15 bags" mindset and people generally are reasonable about what they bring. Also Qantas and Virgin have no charge for 20kg checked baggage so you don't "have" to bring excess carryon.

Also, you know, Australians are just so much more civilised travellers in general
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Serious answer: Because I don't want anyone's feet near my backpack, especially when it has electronics and a laptop in it.

Heck, I hardly want my own feet near it. Last thing I want is to accidentally shift my feet and crush something in my bad, and I'm going to be careful with my own stuff. I can't trust anyone else to do the same with my property. I usually won't put my bag up in the bin for the same reason, but I'll do so on a short flight where most people aren't going to be rummaging through the overhead bins mid-flight.
Well of course it's circumstance dependant. As you say, if it's fragile stuff even the OHB is treacherous. What I was getting at is the backpack with spare stuff in case your checked bag gets delayed or misrouted. You do this right? Spare change of clothes and toiletries so you can move on with your trip while Incompetent Air figures out how to ship bags and passengers to the same place at the same time.
Also in this regard, on a lengthy trip I will check my rollaboard (even though it is cabin compliant), throw that small backpack up in the bin, and place my messenger bag, with electronics, documents, etc. under the seat in front of me. So in the OP's situation, I would have definitely told the person that my footwell is occupied, but if they're willing to put my backpack in front of their feet, they can pull it and put their bag up. Always presuming they're near enough in the cabin that it won't be a production when we disembark.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Well of course it's circumstance dependant. As you say, if it's fragile stuff even the OHB is treacherous. What I was getting at is the backpack with spare stuff in case your checked bag gets delayed or misrouted. You do this right? Spare change of clothes and toiletries so you can move on with your trip while Incompetent Air figures out how to ship bags and passengers to the same place at the same time.
Also in this regard, on a lengthy trip I will check my rollaboard (even though it is cabin compliant), throw that small backpack up in the bin, and place my messenger bag, with electronics, documents, etc. under the seat in front of me. So in the OP's situation, I would have definitely told the person that my footwell is occupied, but if they're willing to put my backpack in front of their feet, they can pull it and put their bag up. Always presuming they're near enough in the cabin that it won't be a production when we disembark.
If your backpack is full of nothing but clothes, then yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't be too concerned. For me, I typically travel with a (checked) suitcase and my backpack, which is the only thing I bring onto the plane with me. So it holds all of my gear - that's not going near someone else's feet, sorry.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your backpack is full of nothing but clothes, then yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't be too concerned. For me, I typically travel with a (checked) suitcase and my backpack, which is the only thing I bring onto the plane with me. So it holds all of my gear - that's not going near someone else's feet, sorry.
Totally agree. That's why my messenger bag stays with me.
Btw, once I get to the destination and reclaim my suitcase, the spare clothes and backpack (North Face packable type) go into the rollaboard. So I'm not dealing with three items on the ground.
​​​​​​
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

you know your stuff is probably safer and less likely to get damaged if at your feet in the floor. Less potential energy, less chance someone stuffs something on top of it.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO it's pretty clear -- you get 1 carry on and 1 personal item, and your carry-on can go in the overhead bin. If you bring a smaller carry-on than most people, that's just you being nice -- you are taking up less space in the overhead bin than if you took a roller bag. That doesn't mean that you don't get to use the bin.

This is exactly why there are boarding groups -- because it is first come first serve. And that's why they give away earlier boarding to elites or people who pay for more expensive classes of service. If I didn't have a carry-on I'd rather board the flight at the last possible minute.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by samwise6222
I've recently had a large tote in the overhead bin, and some dude try to argue with me how I had to put that under the seat in front of me.

Except I had to tell him that my purse was already there and my tote was basically my "large" item.
I had an FA try to take my backpack down from the OH bin and have me put it under the seat in front of me. Fortunately I had my (small) camera bag with me which was already under the seat so I didn’t have to worry about awkwardly declining/protesting to the FA on why I don’t want to have my backpack under the seat in front of me for a 3 hour flight all so someone else can not have to gate check their roll-a-board that they didn’t want to pay to check in the first place. Since then though, if I am traveling with only my backpack, it still goes in the OH bin but I now pack my backpack in a way that it won’t fit under the seat as packed so the FA doesn’t view it as an easy bag to pull down and then try to have me put under the seat in front of me, but if I need to (perhaps because I’m boarding late due to a late inbound connection), I can remove something like a sweatshirt or light jacket and then the backpack fits under the seat (so no gate check there).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
Qantas is attempting to resolve this (although TBH it's really not much of a problem in Australia- see below) two ways:

1. At the gate, if people have two bags, the attendant ties a red tag on the smaller one and tell the passenger it has to go under the seat
2. On boarding, making announcements to the effect "if you are travelling with two bags, please place only the larger item in the overhead locker, and the smaller item under the seat in front of you"

I suspect one reason why this is not such a major issue in Australia is that all the airlines have allocated seating - there is no mad dash or boarding group. Seems to reduce the "got to get on first with my 15 bags" mindset and people generally are reasonable about what they bring. Also Qantas and Virgin have no charge for 20kg checked baggage so you don't "have" to bring excess carryon.

Also, you know, Australians are just so much more civilised travellers in general
In Australia, there's also a (low) weight limit for carry on bags. I've been yelled at by airport security checkpoint employees for legal sized wheeled roller bags that were too heavy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Collierkr

you know your stuff is probably safer and less likely to get damaged if at your feet in the floor. Less potential energy, less chance someone stuffs something on top of it.
However, on the floor your stuff risks someone spilling a drink on it, which normally doesn't/can't happen in the overhead bin.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:52 am

I know this is unrelated to DL, but BA have a policy where if someone has a small piece of hand luggage, they put a yellow tag on it, this means that all yellow tagged bags have to go under the seat.

I am 100% against this, as you are essentially rewarding people for bringing a bigger bag on to the plane. if i want to put my backpack up top, I should be able to do it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr

Looks like my last edit didn't save, but I had intended to make the comment that I usually do keep it at my feet on longer flights for this very reason. The only time I usually stick it up top is on a short hop flight on a CRJ or something, where most people aren't going to be fumbling around in the overhead during a 1-hour flight. Plus, legroom is already limited on those jets, so any extra inch I can get here or there I'm usually going to take. On a proper narrow body domestic flight, nah, that's probably going under the seat in front of me. That changes nothing about my attitude toward person A in the original post - should I want to put my backpack up there, if I'm first to the bins, then my bag should not have to be moved to accommodate someone's rollaboard. (As another forumgoer commented, however, if someone asks me politely, I'll usually bend over backwards to make things work. Passive aggressiveness or sarcasm? Nope, backpack stays in the bin, and I'm watching you like a hawk to make sure you don't try anything funny with it. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.