Wiki Posts
Search

Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space

Recently, my best friend and I got into a polite disagreement about proper customs and courtesies required of flying in a forward cabin, and given that a sample size of n=2, I figured I'd elicit some feedback amongst proper frequent flyers. I'd be very curious to know what others think and their reasoning behind it. I won't say who said what, so I'll just make it a person A and Person B; starting with this text message (we were not both traveling):

A: Lol i Love doing the "excuse me? Whose little backpack is this? Oh, yours, can you please put it under your seat so I can put my suitcase up?"
B: I’ve literally never done that
A: [Dude] argued with me about it but moved it
B: Truthfully, I’d probably tell you no too. I want the legroom and it’s first come, first serve
B: I’m just saying, I’ve never heard anyone ever ask that of someone else and I think I’d be shocked if I did.
A: Really? I have called people out several times. On these crappy small planes there is not even room for each person in first to put 1 bag up. Let alone a bag, backpack, jacket
B: I’d suggest gate checking it. A jacket, sure. But not a bag
A: Nah screw that. Getting on first doesn't entitle you to not follow baggage rules. If there is room by all means throw your stuff up top. Small plane with no storage. Enjoy the better seat and more room but you don't get to take half a bin with a tiny ... backpack
A: I have made people move their backpacks at least 20 times lol
B: The rules are you get to put your stuff where you want if you’re first. I have seen FAs enforce that rule before
A: Oh really?
A: They're always pissed but I logic them out of it and they move their stuff anyway
B: Probably because they don’t want to get into a big argument. But honestly, it does seem a bit rude. Your other option is to have it gate checked for free.
A: Meh, I'm ok with it. If someone asked me to move my backpack on a short flight I wouldn't even bat an eye. Flying is one of those social interactions where it's not worth it to be an ....... to someone to save yourself a few inches of legroom when you're already in first class. That's just false entitlement.
B: I beg to differ. It’s worth whatever he/she places on it. Perhaps that’s why they lined up first and bought a first class seat in the first place. What *you* would do is irrelevant though, and it’s all about how that person values the extra space. If it ever happened to me, I’d probably be caught off guard and sheepishly agree the first time, but I’d probably steam about it for most of the flight and be sure that I knew what to say the next time. I mean, it is awfully “out there” behavior in the forward cabin. Heck, even asking someone to switch seats when they’re not equivalent is something I’m careful not to do
A: Forward cabin is forward cabin though, I have as much right to the overhead as the next guy. Usually half of first is people that got upgraded on most flights.
A: On a lot of flights I am on early so I can get my suitcase up but I never expect to get my backpack up unless there is extra room.
A: I get delta rules may say first come first serve but I feel like it's also "don't be a dick" as a rule.
B: I’d argue that you’re violating that rule here
A: If it was all suitcases I don't care. But a 12 inch tiny flat backpack blocking the whole space makes no sense.

And so on and so forth.... There was some mild editing to make it FT appropriate. So... thoughts?

Cheers
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If A ever acted like that towards me and my backpack I would tell him in no uncertain language to F' off. And if it goes on call the FA and have it explained he is out of place. I travel with only a backpack., and my single carry on is entiltled to go in the bin. I am not about to gatecheck my backpack because A thinks his dumb as rollar is more important.

B is also wrong. One can put A SINGLE BAG up overhead (with some defined exceptions). Small F cabins can fill up fairly easily with the space used for equipment/FAs and the bulkhead. Placing 2 or 3 items up top may not be prevented by the FA, but it is wrong. If the bins do not fill up, can always put something up top later.
bvi7, D130, drphun and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If A ever acted like that towards me and my backpack I would tell him in no uncertain language to F' off. And if it goes on call the FA and have it explained he is out of place. I travel with only a backpack., and my single carry on is entiltled to go in the bin. I am not about to gatecheck my backpack because A thinks his dumb as rollar is more important.

B is also wrong. One can put A SINGLE BAG up overhead (with some defined exceptions). Small F cabins can fill up fairly easily with the space used for equipment/FAs and the bulkhead. Placing 2 or 3 items up top may not be prevented by the FA, but it is wrong. If the bins do not fill up, can always put something up top later.
I agree completely. If I am only traveling with a backpack i generally put it in the in. If I have a roller board and a backpack I put the roller board up and after everyone is on put my backpack up if there is room. Unless I’m in row 1 then I put both up as soon as I sit down.

I would also refused A’s request and tell him to put his bag in the first open bin in back or gate check it.
User Name likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
If you're traveling domestically and don't want to check a bag, that's fine - but that doesn't mean that your bag takes priority over my backpack if it's in the overhead bin first.

Want space in the overhead? Find a way to get in an earlier boarding group. Don't want to have to worry about finding space in an overhead? Check the bag. If there's no room, it'll get gate checked anyways.

If I'm on sooner and I decide I want to put my backpack in the overhead bin (not usually the case, since I've got my personal entertainment devices and whatnot in there, but I definitely will on a short hop on a CRJ where I'm happy to stare out the window for an hour), tough s____.

A is out of line.

A: I get delta rules may say first come first serve but I feel like it's also "don't be a dick" as a rule.
B: I’d argue that you’re violating that rule here
Preach, B!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL - PM
I'm going to split the difference here. I actually agree with A's philosophy; it's a pet peeve of mine when a non-bulkhead first class passenger puts small bags in the overhead bin (although bigger pet peeve that just happened to me last week, the passenger in the window seat put his bag in the center section under the row in front of us, which cut into my legroom). But I would never actually ask someone to move their bag to under the seat in front of them. The most I would ever do is, if I was on a plane with 2-3 or 3-2 configuration and someone put a small bag on the deeper bin side, ask them if they minded if I moved that bag to the shallow bins on the other side. But even that I would typically leave to the flight attendant.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:12 pm

I would say Person A needs to adjust their sense of entitlement and problem solving skills. Perhaps Person A flies a lot more than I do, but I have had my fair share of flights in F, and cannot ever recall an instance of pax having to take bags out of the overhead to put beneath the seat in front. In a regional jet its easy to justify putting both my bags in the overhead since one is only going to fit on the c/d side and my laptop bag will fit in the A side, which I have never seen full. The remainder of flights, pax either A) go a few rows back to find space B) politely ask if you can move an item or two around since the reason for lack of space is inefficient utilization, or C) ask the FA to put the bag in the closet or if they know of empty spots since you were last to board.
smc333 and trentryan like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
If all a person has is a backpack, then I think it’s fine to put it in the bin. Suitcase + backpack = now we’re going to have a chat.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
So just for the record, this conversation has mostly been had plenty of times before. Most people agree with OP and that if one wants to preserve leg room by not bringing anything other than a small bag and put that in the bin, they are entitled to. A small (and IMO totally incorrect) minority view holds that small items should be placed under seats so that others can use the overhead bin for larger items.

The nuance here is that this is a pax to pax request, when in the past this has been the request of an FA who is trying to make room and save time. This, IMO, is a critical difference. While I don't think any pax should be asked to give up their legroom if they only brought one item on board, a pax making this request of another pax is just not appropriate.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by zulu1128
If all a person has is a backpack, then I think it’s fine to put it in the bin. Suitcase + backpack = now we’re going to have a chat.
That's not really a feasible thing to self-determine unless you boarded pretty much right near the other person, yes?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
That's not really a feasible thing to self-determine unless you boarded pretty much right near the other person, yes?

Exactly, we just really don't want to be going in the direction of pax policing this for each other. I do think that most pax don't do this (though I know some do).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Agreed. I was speaking in the context of watching someone do it.
steve4031 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: none
I thought there might be something worth reading here, but I stopped treading the extended original post by around line three. The issue isn't that important to justify the ink/bytes/pixels/bandwidth needed to slog through it.

Overhead space is a "shared"resource for all ;passengers. Figure out a way to share it with your fellow travelers who are in the same boat as you are. If you want to act like a self-entitled jerk, remember you're not putting one over on the airline. You're only bringing discomfort onto others in exchange for YOUR convenience. If you don't mind being that person, then go ahead. The crew is going to have a place for their baqs regardless. They really couldn't care whose bag goes where. They secretly just laugh at the "I was here first", or "my bag is bigger," or "I have a superior status" arguments that children tend to use on the playground.
Collierkr and TomKap like this.

Last edited by Allan38103; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I check my 22" bag most of the time, so when that happens my briefcase is going in the overhead bin. Especially in a CR9 or E75.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I've recently had a large tote in the overhead bin, and some dude try to argue with me how I had to put that under the seat in front of me.

Except I had to tell him that my purse was already there and my tote was basically my "large" item.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Most of this has to do with presentation. If someone politely asks “I’m really sorry to bother you, but I can’t find any place for my large roller bag. I hate to ask, but would it be possible for you to put your backpack under the seat so I don’t have to go through the hassle of gate-checking my bag?”

if you TELL me to accommodate you, there’s a problem. If you ask politely, I’ll jump through hoops to help you.
muji, jdrtravel, wrp96 and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.