DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
The guy who drops a silent but deadly air biscuit right when the elevator loads up to go up.
I was thinking this would also work in reverse for the person insisting that you only go the ground floor.

1. They state their DYKWIA demands
2. You press all buttons
3. At the next floor that the elevator stops at, let one raunchy cheesebiscuit cut loose and walk out.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:42 pm

Welcome to any day in Hong Kong.

#1 : After having been shoved back in to the lift, I've been known to press multiple buttons before stepping out. "Oh wait, this is my floor. Silly me."

#2 : I've pressed (and held) the alarm button "more than once". You might think your phone call is worth making others wait, but I don't. If necessary, into the speaker: "Someone is blocking the door", but it doesn't usually get to that point.

#3 : "Sometimes the stairs are quicker." Funny (to me), because pretty much NO ONE in Hong Kong takes the stairs and buildings are tall.

But I'm old, and the f...s I have to give ran out long ago.
kellio33 and pa3lsvt like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My personal favorite is the "family" in an extended stay hotel who send one kid running and screaming down the hall to push the button to call the elevator while the rest of the group takes their good sweet time getting ready to leave. The kid then holds the elevator, while shouting back and forth to the rest of the group, as they slowly amble down the hall. In the meantime, other guests cannot even call for a different elevator as the presence of the one being held on the floor prevents another one from coming for other guests. It's especially lovely when done at rush hour and other guests need to leave for work.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
1. ....1. That person who barges their way in as soon as the doors open before waiting to see if anyone already in the elevator wants to get out. Or parents who say nothing when their kids do it.
The counter for this (lids) is to do a dance outside the elevator doors preventing the parents from entering until the elevator doors close
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My personal favorite is the "family" in an extended stay hotel who send one kid running and screaming down the hall to push the button to call the elevator while the rest of the group takes their good sweet time getting ready to leave. The kid then holds the elevator, while shouting back and forth to the rest of the group, as they slowly amble down the hall. In the meantime, other guests cannot even call for a different elevator as the presence of the one being held on the floor prevents another one from coming for other guests. It's especially lovely when done at rush hour and other guests need to leave for work.
After all, they want to teach their kid on being the perfect doucebag.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It's not a DYKWIA story but it is a funny elevator story. In Kuala Lumpur we were waiting for a lift and my husband said as he spied the warning sign of a spiky durian fruit with a red cross through it.... "hey look, no hedgehogs in the lift". I replied "it's a durian".
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
It's not a DYKWIA story but it is a funny elevator story. In Kuala Lumpur we were waiting for a lift and my husband said as he spied the warning sign of a spiky durian fruit with a red cross through it.... "hey look, no hedgehogs in the lift".
that IS funny
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:45 pm

What I find is slightly annoying is stopping at a floor with no takers because someone summoning a lift has pressed both the up and down buttons in the hope that a lift will arrive sooner.
MSPeconomist and narvik like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Saint4805

2. That person who stands one foot in and one foot out preventing the door from closing just to finish a conversation they are having with someone standing outside the elevator meaning that everyone else inside has to wait.
3. That impatient person who starts to curse or gets visibly angry when the elevators stops at multiple floors (usually on the way down).

Any others to add? I think no. 2 is my favorite from a DYKWIA perspective.

Someone did 2 (and no doubt 3) whilst I was in the lift (ok, elevator if you must) on the ground floor of the 20 storey.Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in London only last week.

Listening to this chap (whilst he was delaying the elevator), he was going back upto his room to collect something 'important' he had forgotten before coming straight back down again to exit the hotel with the person he was chatting to!. His eventual parting words very loudly to his 'colleague' were that he would be back 'in a few seconds' after collecting whatever from his room on the 18th floor 'as the taxi was outside waiting'.

As this DYKWIA has delayed not only me, but the other two people in the elevator (who I knew), cue me to then press all the buttons in the lift so it would stop at every floor on the way up.Every time the elevator stopped he tutted loudly and I could tell he was getting more irate. He then ranted at me 'Did you have to do that?', to which I just smiled at him.

When I exited the lift on the 4th floor, I smiled again at him. After the lift departed I pressed all the elevator call buttons on my floor to make sure they stopped there on the way down as well.

Childish? - maybe. Did it make me feel better? - definitely.

BM

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Oct 11, 2018 at 4:16 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Someone did 2 (and no doubt 3) whilst I was in the lift (ok, elevator if you must) on the ground floor of the 20 storey.Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in London only last week.

Listening to this chap (whilst he was delaying the elevator), he was going back upto his room to collect something 'important' he had forgotten before coming straight back down again to exit the hotel with the person he was chatting to!. His eventual parting words very loudly to his 'colleague' were that he would be back 'in a few seconds' after collecting whatever from his room on the 18th floor 'as the taxi was outside waiting'.

As this DYKWIA has delayed not only me, but the other two people in the elevator (who I knew), cue me to then press all the buttons in the lift so it would stop at every floor on the way up.Every time the elevator stopped he tutted loudly and I could tell he was getting more irate. He then ranted at me 'Did you have to do that?', to which I just smiled at him.

When I exited the lift on the 4th floor, I smiled again at him. After the lift departed I pressed all the elevator call buttons on my floor to make they stopped there on the way down as well.

BM
And with that, congratulations on your 100th post!
wrp96 and BarneyMcGrew like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
And with that, congratulations on your 100th post!
I thank you kindly.

I hadn't realised I had reached that milestone.

Oh well, only 899 posts to go (after this one) to reach my 1,000th!.

BM
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew

When I exited the lift on the 4th floor, I smiled again at him. After the lift departed I pressed all the elevator call buttons on my floor to make they stopped there on the way down as well.

BM
Excellent stuff. A much warranted textbook response to a classic DYKWIA.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Firstly a message to the rant police, this is a lighthearted and amusing reflection of some DYKWIA behavior I have witnessed in hotel elevators over the past few weeks. It doesn’t bother me and I have shrugged it off so please don’t worry about my mental health

1. That person who barges their way in as soon as the doors open before waiting to see if anyone already in the elevator wants to get out. Or parents who say nothing when their kids do it.
2. That person who stands one foot in and one foot out preventing the door from closing just to finish a conversation they are having with someone standing outside the elevator meaning that everyone else inside has to wait.
3. That impatient person who starts to curse or gets visibly angry when the elevators stops at multiple floors (usually on the way down).

Any others to add? I think no. 2 is my favorite from a DYKWIA perspective.
I encountered #2 a week ago, but supercharged. Someone had set their bag down, blocking the door of the elevator from closing, while they got a drink from the vending machine 15 feet away. The elevator's alarm was going off, so who knows how long it had been that way and how long the people on the floors above were waiting for an elevator to come get them. Probably at least 5 minutes.

I came very close to accidentally kicking the bag into the elevator, stepping inside, taking it to a random floor and kicking it out. In retrospect, I wish I had. Instead, I just politely asked "is this your bag?" and they just came and grabbed it, pushed their floor and went on like nothing was the matter. I was stunned.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:54 am

May I add:

1) People who get into the lift half way so the doors won't close and then pretend to look surprised when others tell them they're stopping the doors from closing,

and

2) People who insist pushing their own floor button because they think they're the only one allowed to touch it. Geez all I said was 'which floor? because I'm the nearest to the buttons and we've all just got in.

Last edited by Lizie; Oct 11, 2018 at 3:54 am Reason: sausage finger syndrome
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Lizie
2) People who insist pushing their own floor button because they think they're the only one allowed to touch it. Geez all I said was 'which floor? because I'm the nearest to the buttons and we've all just got in.
I don't insist on it, but I can understand that. Sometimes I'm not comfortable with announcing where I'm going to strangers. Could be the button is already lit. Maybe I'm going to an upper floor which requires a swipe of my key. Or maybe I change my mind in mid-flight if I don't like the company on the elevator (drunks, wild party...) and don't want to leave with them.

No offense intended, but I'll make my own way. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.