DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
To make this thread more interesting I begun attempting to read the title aloud as a parody of an Aerosmith song... but "DWKWIA" has terrible rhythm.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by c1ue
This thread really seems more a DYKWAD issue than a DYKWIA one.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by holland
I've yet to see #2 fortunately, but I wouldn't hesitate to interrupt the conversation with a "Hey buddy.... on or off. You're holding up the show!"
You're lucky you haven't encountered this. There is one lady who works in the same building as me who frequently does #2 . I've gotten to the point where if I see her coming I hit the close door button.

She also stands in the parking lot talking to people blocking people from entering/exiting their parking spaces and/or the lot itself while she finishes her conversations.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
]She also stands in the parking lot talking to people blocking people from entering/exiting their parking spaces and/or the lot itself while she finishes her conversations.
Beep Beep. Honk. HOOOOOONNNNNNKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! I'm not very subtle.
MaldivesFreak likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
#3 . Got on the elevator with a dude already onboard. Elevator stopped at the next floor to let someone on.
Dude: Jesus Christ (muttered)
Me: Nope! Just the third floor! (cheerfully)
Dude: ...
rickg523 and MEABFlyer like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I had the elevator barger before. I usually just stand in the middle of the doorway and say something to the effect of "It's traditional to let people off the elevator before trying to enter." They usually back off and let people out. Works the same for trains, and public transit.
Here in Mainland China I've given up on the talking bit because 99% of the time there's no effect. I do a number of things; wait for the door to be open enough to see if there's someone right in front of it (who's ready to barge in) then I take a step back and time it so I go out the door just when there's just enough room to squeeze through the gap, and as soon as my arms are past the opening doors I put my hands on my hips so I either hit them front on if they're not paying attention or at least wing them if they are quick enough to try and sidestep me. If I see that they are coming in with speed I adjust accordingly and hit them with more force. It's a lot of fun. ^
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Totally. Yes, this can be a cultural norm in many places. I see it all the time in china on elevators and subway cars. Line cutting just the same. I suspect it derives from a self-preservation mentality in a sea of 1.3 billion people.
Erm, it's called anabashed selfishness.
muji likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Firstly a message to the rant police, this is a lighthearted and amusing reflection of some DYKWIA behavior I have witnessed in hotel elevators over the past few weeks. It doesn’t bother me and I have shrugged it off so please don’t worry about my mental health

1. That person who barges their way in as soon as the doors open before waiting to see if anyone already in the elevator wants to get out. Or parents who say nothing when their kids do it.
2. That person who stands one foot in and one foot out preventing the door from closing just to finish a conversation they are having with someone standing outside the elevator meaning that everyone else inside has to wait.
3. That impatient person who starts to curse or gets visibly angry when the elevators stops at multiple floors (usually on the way down).

Any others to add? I think no. 2 is my favorite from a DYKWIA perspective.
I would add the virtue signalling guy..and it's always a guy..that tries to show how courteous he is by holding the door open with his hand..and I don't mean to hold the elevator..I mean for those 10 seconds or so when it opens on it's own and stays open on it's own he can be credited with holding a door for someone. Dude..it's an automatic door...what's next, eagle scout? Helping a little old lady cross a picture of a street?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I had the elevator barger before. I usually just stand in the middle of the doorway and say something to the effect of "It's traditional to let people off the elevator before trying to enter."
In Asia (excluding Japan), you would have to have repeat this pretty much every single time when leaving the lift. And nobody would care.
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Welcome to any day in Hong Kong.

#1 : After having been shoved back in to the lift,
In KL hotel lift was really small, enough to say 5 people max, and doors are so narrow that you have to enter/exit one by one. So I and my wife are in the lift and door opens. On other side there is a family of five, with their teen/collage age son. The guy rushes in as soon as door has opened not allowing us exit. I politely say 'can we get out please?'. He ignores me and tries to push thru. Now I put my palm on his chest, saying 'LET. US. GET. OUT" and pushed him back with sufficient force so he had to make 3-4 steps back into corridor. On exit looking at his shocked parents my wife told them 'Thanks for rising your children with excellent manners' and we left. Expression on their faces were priceless.

BTW I quickly found out that this - threat or intention to use force will make wonders in Asia. Otherwise you will be just run over.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 11, 2018 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
In Asia, you would have to have repeat this pretty much every single time when leaving the lift. And nobody would care.

BTW I quickly found out that this - threat or intention to use force will make wonders in Asia. Otherwise you will be just run over.
You have to be careful when you use the word Asia. Japan is part of Asia but is most definitely not somewhere where you find rude / selfish / uncouth / loud locals.
muji likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by makasha21
I've started a version of this where I don't move out of the way if someone is heading directly toward me but their head is buried in their phone. If we crash, oh well. If they drop their phone, oh well. If they yell at me, I say "you should be thanking me. I could have been a lamp post or a wall or a crosswalk and you would've walked straight into it. Look where you're walking."
I just throw up my arm and let them walk into my elbow.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston
Ha. This isn't really a DYKWIA elevator story so much, but it's a cautionary tale about elevator etiquette.

The health club I used to belong to had two elevators to the lobby, both of which were excruciatingly slow. So getting one during the morning rush was always a dicey proposition. One morning I lucked out and got one straightaway. Just as the doors were closing, I notice a guy rushing to make it inside, so I kindly held the door open for him and he made it on.

Just before the doors closed again, someone else rushed up and got on just in time. Then someone else. And someone else. This went on about a dozen more times - every time the doors were about to close someone else would rush up and wedge themselves on. In all, it was a good five minutes of false starts and abrupt stops before we finally, slowly, lurched our way downward.

At one point, I looked at the original guy I'd let on and said jokingly, "This is all your fault." He just laughed ruefully as yet another person wiggled her way in.
There is a bank of 4 lifts where I used to work where people would do this, except the lifts weren't modern ones. It became apparent (to me only it seemed) that when the doors were opened and closed multiple by "just one more + just one more ad nauseam" person, it would cause the lift not to move. If the doors were opened and closed about 4 times, I would step out and get into one of the other lifts. It was always quicker than waiting for other people to realise the lift wasn't going anywhere, as least not till someone came along to reset it.

Six years I put up with other people not realising what happened when the doors were interfered with like this. I bet it's still happening... people can be so stupid.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You have to be careful when you use the word Asia. Japan is part of Asia but is most definitely not somewhere where you find rude / selfish / uncouth / loud locals.
You are absolutely correct - obviously excluding Japan.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
people can be so stupid.
Yup. And then there are those people who, while waiting for the lift, push the already-pushed button thinking it will speed up its arrival. Oh, and those equally as intelligent who, when inside the lift and arrive at a floor, will push the Open Door button thinking it will actually override the software / safety design of it and open the doors before they are supposed to open. DUH!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yup. And then there are those people who, while waiting for the lift, push the already-pushed button thinking it will speed up its arrival.
There's always that awkward moment when you arrive at the elevator bank and see someone standing there next to an un-illuminated "up" button and wonder, "Did he push it already? Why isn't it lit? Is the bulb burned out? Should I re-push it just in case?" while the other person is standing there thinking, "I pushed the button! It didn't light up! I hope this person doesn't think I'm an idiot."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.