Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA in the hotel elevator

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't understand that system. I've never heard of it so I'd be one of those people you make fun of.

So can't change your mind on where you are going once you get in the lift?
Nope. London Hilton Park Lane and Hilton LAX have the system.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I used to work in a small footprint, nine story building with one (fairly large) elevator. Scenario #2 used to happen all the time, which was made more awkward by the fact that everybody pretty much knew everybody in the building, and "just finishing a conversation" while waiting for the elevator was common.

Originally Posted by tjl
Related elevator annoyance: buildings that do not let you use the stairs to go up, even though going up one or two floors of stairs takes less time than waiting for the elevators. If people who only need to go up one or two floors took the stairs, that would make it faster for them, and faster for everyone else who would not have to wait for the elevator to stop on as many floors.
I use a WeWork building like this. The problem is the building is hybrid office/residential, and the layout is such that from the office lobby you'd have to walk through the residential lobby (not possible) to get to the stairs. Of course, the community floor is on 2, so there's a ton of traffic between 1 and 2. That said, there are also a bunch of people who take the elevators from 2 to 3 or 4, which you could very easily accomplish via the stairs.

General rant: Every WeWork building I've ever been hasn't had enough elevator capacity.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
But I've been flummoxed in several hotels when I've tried to use the stairs to descend 1-2 floors and found that the doors are all locked...
The first thing I do when using a new staircase is test the door I used to enter the staircase. If I can reenter on my floor, I can probably reenter on my destination floor.

Originally Posted by jrl767
last week at the Hampton Inn (El Segundo CA) someone tapped the control pad maybe three seconds after I did, going one floor below me ... how efficient was it to have him wait for a dedicated elevator? if there was another one at the lobby already, fine, but it seems to me that it would have been just as easy to add a second stop for the elevator that I was about to ride
Obviously can't speak to that one instance, but it is possible that the system already calculated a dispatch of your car to pick up somebody from the floor you were going to, and adding a stop for the other person in the lobby would have caused a delay for that person.

Scheduling algorithms are fun
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
The guy who drops a silent but deadly air biscuit right when the elevator loads up to go up.
So it was YOU...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.