Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Done ANC for not even one night. Flew in DAY-DEN-ANC attended BobWs BBQ in The Alaska meetup thread and then caught the redeye back.
I didn't even stay the night when I did a LGA-DCA-PHX-ANC-PHX-CLT-LGA run (in Y on US!) a few years back.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Before Canadian Airlines folded they often sold last minute fares YVR LHR .or YVR PEK. My wife and I often flew to London on Friday, saw a play and then returned Sunday for work Monday as we deplaned. Friend and I did a Beijing two day quick turn.

Last edited by Azamaraal; Sep 18, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:57 pm

I've done a few rather crazy fares (Error fares/Routing fares) where clearly the idea was to either generate miles and/or enjoy a product.

Most crazy one I've done was probably when I've flown to Singapore twice over a few days all-in. Long haul from Europe. But actually transferred from Europe to Asia (and back) by ship in the middle of the run.

That included a dirt-cheap TK ticket Ex-BSL to Singapore (around 350€) with a stopover in IST on the return, a "Golden ticket" from QR from Sabiha Göken to Singapore, and the whole schedule built around it.

So I flew to Singapore - rather normal via IST on a normal 6hrs layover - then back to IST after 2 days in the humidity. In IST, left airside, Metro to the city, ferry over to the Asian side, bus to the airport (all smooth and easy due to IstanbulKart) - then checked in with QR (no questions asked) - flew via Doha to Singapore for a day visit (12hrs, nice arrival time around lunch, departure around midnight) - now the immigration authorities finally DID found something fishy about my schedule and asked me a few questions, but given I flew to Singapore quite a few times in the past already for short stays, weren't really too interested once I told them "cheap flight, I like to fly". Guess they got a special sub category in assumed drug mules called "frequent flyers, don't touch".

12hrs later (and after way too much tasty Hawker food) on checkin at QR desk, got asked for me ticket onwards from Sabiha Göken. Showing the IstanbulKart did not do the trick, albeit it was technically correct. Luckily I had a printed eticket from my TK itinerary.

Let's see that the face of the lady was priceless when she realized that I just used a short stopover in IST to get to Singapore, AGAIN, for 12hrs.

The return went all smooth after that. It was fun while it lasted, and 3 out of the 4 QR flights were literally empty (no more than 20pax), made for good sleep even in Economy class so I was "all active" while on ground.

Just a tiny little bit jetlagged - or should I say, my body had no clue in which time zone it actually was after that.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
On Nov 26, 2006 I flew BUD-LHR-ORD-DEL all in economy, and with only a few hours at each connection. At Budapest, the AA ticket agent said she'd never seen a routing like that in her 25 years with AA. At least I had exit rows, but after a night in Delhi I had another flight to Kabul.

Why would I do such a ridiculous routing with 2 unnecessary TATL segments? Well, going through ORD gave me enough EQM to become EXP and I never flew in coach again on about 8 round-trips to/from home from Afghanistan.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
MEL-CVG return: 20K Miles in Economy over a weekend for a Giants @Bengals NFL game.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Did DPS-DOH-LAX 2.5 times In a row with a sinus infection. Booked 3 of that $700 J RT mistake fare on QR. Thought I was gonna get arrested in DPS at immigration after going thru so many times.

Thank god for J seats so I could sleep and DOH QR lounge to shower and eat. A little under 100k EQM in about a week but less actual BIS. I threw away the last flight from lax - doh - dps because I had hit my eqm goal.

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Sep 18, 2018 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:02 pm

My personal worst was an aborted business meeting in Malaysia...PHX-LAX-SIN-LAX. What happend? Well the meeting was canceled while I was in the air to SIN so my boss booked me on the next flight back so I could do some work in the LA area. I always refer to it as the longest possible commute from PHX to LAX. I think I was in the SIN airport for about 3 or 4 hours if I remember correctly. I was displeased to say the least. If it hadn't been in J I likely would have just quit on the spot. As it was we had words about respect for employees.

Originally Posted by jlemon
What was supposed to be a very short trip on a Saturday morning: San Luis Obispo (SBP) to Santa Maria (SMX) on board an Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante operated by West Air as United Express.
...Plus, when I got in the company car at SMX, it would not start so I then had to wait another hour before AAA showed up to tow the vehicle. So much for a quick trip!
Someone else who knows where the hell SMX and SBP are! No kidding about the localized fog. During one period I was regularly commuting to SBP and SMX for work and will forever miss those flights up and down the coast. Once when working near Lompoc I left the worksite and five minutes away my work truck has a wheel bearing absolutely implode. Left it at the local dealership and the attached Avis was supposed to have a rental car for me. After some significant argumetn and cajoling they handed my the keys to a nearly new camaro convertible. Much preferrred...and I enjoyed the drive back to SBP when I left for the weekend.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No odd trips since the FF programs went to revenue-based systems, but back in 2010 when it was still worth going for top status, I flew STL-MSP-ORD-CVG-LAX-SYD (3 nights)-LAX-MCO (overnight )-MSP-ORD-MSP-STL. Later that year, I did STL-MSP-LAX-MEM-MKE (overnight)-MSP-LAX-SLC-STL . And when DL had a low fare deal to Europe in 2009, available for only a day, I managed to purchase 5 trips, mostly weekend or long weekend, to various European cities, including a 1-night trip to Warsaw which turned out to be great fun.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: QFF, VA, SQ
SYD-JFK-SYD To see a movie premier with friends.
Could have seen it in Syd before it opened in USA due to time differences.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA-1K,2MM
The longest and shortest

Back when mileage runs were profitable as miles were based on distance and not fare, UA in 2002 decided to abandon its IAD to MIL route. I was working in SFO and when UA terminated the route, their bookings dried up. So a ~$300 RT fare from SFO to MIL through IAD.

So on Friday afternoon, I left work and on Saturday morning went to SFO and got on the SFO to IAD flight and then the IAD to MIL leg, arriving in MIL on Sunday morning local time. Went through immigration, got a cup of coffee, and got on the late morning MIL to IAD flight. Then cleared immigration in IAD and flew back to SFO arriving Sunday evening.

Monday morning, got up and went to work. Got about 60K miles with mileage promotions and status for about $300. "So how was your weekend?" from my coworkers got an interesting response.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
The craziest was LHR-HKG-TPE-HKG-LHR for a couple of hours meeting in TPE.
Friday morning, I was seating at the meeting room attending a conference call with TPE.
It went horribly wrong within 30 minutes and while still debating my boss called in his assistant and 15 minutes later I was booked on the noon flight off to HKG.
Back to the meeting room on Sunday midday.
It happened 11 years ago.

U
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, some other stuff
Oh and that time I did LAX-PVG-HKG-IST-DUB-MUC-SFO-LAX.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska, American, US Airways, Hawaiian,
Flying February 29th

Hi,
I've flown on almost every calendar day.
After 30 years I still had not flown on February 29th.
February 29, 2012 flew RT SMF-LAX-SMF.
Landed LAX had lunch in the Sterile Area and flew back to SMF a short time later.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
The craziest (but also the most rewarding trip in terms of mileage earn) I took was this past May on an AC mistake fare from HKG-BOS (HK$1,472/ US$190)
The original itinerary was HKG YVR YYZ BOS (I spent 24 hours in the city) then BOS YHZ YYZ HKG
Of course, that didn't include the positioning flights from SIN-HKG & back ...
There was a flight cancellation and I managed to shorten the inbound itinerary to BOS YHZ YYZ HKG but that meant spending the night at the airport (YYZ)

And yes, it was Y all the way, but I survived & it made OZ Gold renewal so much easier.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Talking How not to get a deal done

NVM - NVM

Last edited by jtjackson; Oct 5, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: not needed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.