Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Back in the day, there was actually a 'kick off the miles year' type DO in London. There were probably about 30 FT's who went to London for the first weekend of the year. Most flew in from the US arriving Saturday morning and met in a pub in Covent Garden later in the day. We had dinner nearby and almost all went home the next day.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL 360, DL 1M, DL Charter Diamond, LA Gold, UA Silver
Continent Hopping

Back in 2010-2012 I was running some crazy itineraries for work. One of my favorites in the course of 2 weeks was in 2010 was:
ATL-LAX-SYD-PER-ASP-DRW-GTE-DRW-SYD-AKL-SCL-ANF-SCL-GRU-JNB-MPM-JNB-ATL
On that trip, part of the fun was that my first stop in Perth let me see the sun set into the Indian Ocean, while knowing that at the end of the trip I’d see it rise out of the Indian Ocean in Maputo.
Then in 2012 I ran to Perth for 48 hours on the ground—more time in the air than on the ground:
ATL-LAX-SYD-PER-DXB-JFK
Good memories!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
A few years ago:
FRA-AMS-LHR-DTW-FNT-ATL-PTY-ATL-JFK-FRA Friday to Sunday, to buy my wife an iPad and iPhone. Overnight in FNT and PTY.

This year, each trip was about a week with some returning home and departing again the same day.
Week 11: LUX-CDG-GYD-SVO-AMS-LUX
Week 14: LUX-CDG-DTW-MSY/GPT-ATL-CDG-LUX
Week 15: LUX-VIE-SJJ-VIE-LUX
Week 16: LUX-FRA-ALA-FRA-LUX
Week 17: FRA-SVO-TBS-WAW-LUX
Week 21: LUX-KRK (by car) KRK-KBP-KRK KRK-LUX (by car) 1200km drive to the airport
Week 23: LUX-AMS-KGL-AMS-LUX

2014 was a big travel year in trips but not so big in distance:
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AC 1MM among other not very important stuff.
I was working in the North Sea, and living in Alberta Canada, and rotating back and forth every 3 weeks. I did this for 21 years.

Anyway I was flying home one time and saw a watch I had been on a list to buy for about a year in a shop in FRA. I flew home to YYC.....but decided right away I should have bought the watch.
So I e-mailed the salesman, bought the watch, wired the money. I then went on-line and used miles to fly on AC 5 days later.

So I flew YYC to FRA, had just enough time to pick up my watch, have a shower in the AC lounge, and then fly back to YYC on the same plane I had just flown there on. About 10-11 hrs gate to gate each way.
Worked out awesome...love the watch and switched lists and got the new ceramic Daytona a year later when I retired from working overseas......win win!!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA 1K
A trip from Oregon to Iraq that required three Red Eyes in a row: PDX-JFK-AMM-EBL. Needless to say I got sick on arrival.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
When I was a kid my father flew to Paris for lunch from NY. I asked him if he had flown on the Concorde.
"That would have been a waste of money!" he retorted.
(Dad was in international trading from 1945 to 2005. He finally quite traveling (mostly to Asia) when he was 95. He took me around the world on Pan American double decker strasophere cruisers between the ages of 6-8) He often flew to "nearby" countries in Central America for day trips. He could sleep anywhere and eat anything. He was a very boisterous, controlling man, but not when he traveled. He said: "You go into limbo once you enter an airport. You are not able to change the weather or schedules, so you relax and go with the flow and take over when you arrive." He never got upset and if his room wasn't ready at a hotel, he'd say, "I'm not fussy. Put me in the broom closet." For some reason he always got upgraded on planes and hotels--often the best suite in the house because of his "humble" attitude. In fact, he was as "humble" as President Trump and could have taught him a thing about the art of the deal. On forms in school about my father's occupation, I often wrote: Wheeler-Dealer."
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I’m exhausted. Going back to bed!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
What was supposed to be a very short trip on a Saturday morning: San Luis Obispo (SBP) to Santa Maria (SMX) on board an Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante operated by West Air as United Express.

My mission was to pick up a company car that had been left at SMX as I lived near SBP. However, what was supposed to be a 15 minute trip by air took over an hour as there was thick sea fog at the Santa Maria Airport and the flight crew had to shoot the approach multiple times before we were able to land (BTW, San Luis Obispo was clear & sunny that morning). Now those of you who remember the little Bandeirante turboprop will also recall the airplane does not have a restroom. And as yours truly had consumed several cups of coffee before boarding, about 30 minutes into the flight I really had to go if you know what I mean as we prepared for yet another landing attempt in the fog. I did make it in time to the restroom at SMX when we finally landed.....but just barely.

Plus, when I got in the company car at SMX, it would not start so I then had to wait another hour before AAA showed up to tow the vehicle. So much for a quick trip!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:33 am

a flight of one Seoul going back to Indiana

Incheon airport to Indianapolis via Honolulu, Hawaii and NYC — [see Pearl Harbor and Statue of Liberty]

flew ICN-HNL-JFK-IND with two ~4-to-6-hour layover tours of (involving airport rental car drives to/from) Pearl Harbor [with cruise to USS Arizona Memorial] <using Global Entry> and Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island visits [along with just enough time to refresh/shower/change at airport lounge(s) as well]
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
A few years ago when my wife and I used to fly a lot we would fly from FLL to
BWI (Baltimore Inner Harbor Phillips Seafood for Lunch) and flew back to FLL a few hours later;
SFO for my birthday dinner and flew back to FLL a few hours later;
SEA for a late Lunch/Dinner and flew back to FLL a few hours later;
BOS for Lunch and flew back a few hours later.

This is all I can think of for now. If I can think of anymore trips, I'll add them later.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, some other stuff
Years ago when United did a team EQM competition, I made a Dec 31st mileage run to help push us over the edge.... did LAX-HNL-SFO-SYD all in one sitting. No more than an hour on the ground for any of the connections.

Tons of same-day meeting/turn-arounds. LAX-IAD-MUC-HEL-FRA-SFO-LAX a few years ago was painful, was just in HEL long enough for a meeting before returning...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:03 am

Not too ridiculous but RDU-LHR to to to a specific restaurant to eat crispy duck and fly back home. It was fun.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:11 am

Australia to Houston and back in less than a day

My nephew came to Houston from Melbourne to attend his sisters wedding, which ended up being cancelled due to a hurricane. The following month, for the rescheduled wedding, he came from Melbourne to Houston..arrived Saturday afternoon and left the next day, back to Melbourne
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: star alliance gold Marriott
New England to Brazil for a two hour meeting

BDL to YYZ to SAO to CWB

thats Hartford ct to Toronto to Sao Paulo to Curitiba

total time in the air 14 hours
from take off in Hartford to landing in Curitiba 24+ hours

overnight stay
meeting in the morning (2hours)
fly back
end of qtr craziness

so basically spent 3 days traveling for one meeting
at least the 10 hour toronto to sao paulo was on a layflat
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United
8 airports in 36 hours

This happened at least 35 years ago!
Flew EWR-ORD-SEA on Friday Night
Sat flew Boeing Field-PDX- GEG-EUG-SEA on private twin-engine aircraft
Still Sat flew SEA-SFO-EWR arriving 6 am Sun or so in EWR
Reason for the crazy itinerary was that UA had special offer that if you flew 4 segments you would earn a free ticket (ended within days of completing trip) plus aviation services company I worked for was exploring purchase of private aircraft operator in the Washington/Oregon area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.