Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I think I have a pretty good one.

While living in Shenzhen, I flew from HKG to SFO to meet my kids in the airport (they were at camp) and three hours later got on a flight from SFO to SZX via PVG. I was in the air for something like 25 out of 30 hours.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
You talk to your neighbours !
You're home enough that you've met your neighbors!!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by GavinMansfield
I once met a Japanese man who had flown to NYC from Tokyo for an interview, stayed for one night (in which he went to the bar, hence how I met him) and then flew back the next day, 32 hours or so of flight time in 2 days not including transfers etc
Not as far as that one but when I lived in the UK a friend was on the BOD of a South African company. Every three weeks he would fly down LHR-JNB overnight, conduct a day meeting, then fly back on the overnight to LHR, Always in F on BA.
He also commuted twice a week to Dusseldorf from London. So every few weeks he would fly LHR-DUS on Monday, DUS-LHR-JNB on Tuesday evening arriving on Wednesday AM, then Wednesday night into Thursday morning fly JNB-LHR-DUS, and then back to LHR on Friday evening.

A schoolfriend's father would do Concorde daytrips from London to NY in the late 1980s and earl 1990s. Leave on the morning 10.30am departure which lands in NYC around 9am. The evening arrival into LHR would leave JFK around 2.30pm.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
A friend of mine with non-rev privileges would regularly do weekend trips to various European locales (from the east coast of the US) during undergrad. Unlikely to be the "most ridiculous" thing in this thread, but it earned him several funny looks back then.
While not as crazy as some of the routings on here, I did nonrev trips like this several times this year (from Texas), but with a wife and 2-year-old in tow. That ups the ridiculousness level a bit.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Singapore-Tokyo-San Francisco-Houston->Sao Paulo -Porto Allegre-Rio-Houston-San Jose-Los Angeles-Hong Kong-Singapore.

Less than 6 days from beginning to end, two trips, one inside another. Office visits at Tokyo, Palo Alto, Houston, Sao, Porto Allegre.

Everything in Y according to company policy.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 13, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
MR: BOS-NRT-SYD—3 hour layover and got back on for SYD-NRT-BOS. Got 4600 EQD and 35kEQMfor 2200 in JL PE..quite comfortable but hard on the bum!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rstruthe
YYZ - LHR - DXB - SYD
Watched the NYE fireworks from the Opera house, turned around flew back to LHR, visited a friend for a few days and went home.
Luckily YYZ - LHR was BA F and the rest was QF F.
Felt like I spent more time in the air then on the ground.
would you have done that trip if it was in Y?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
went dfw-pvg for two nights this year. I was supposed to be there four nights but got bored and came home. I redeemed in advance SWU's on AA that cleared at booking. If they wouldn't have cleared at booking i would have never gone.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
I just finished mine.
TPA > DCA (overnight) > JFK > DOH > SIN (overnight) > SYD (met up with best friend) > BNE (still part of girls trip) > SYD > BKK > SIN > DOH > JFK > TPA

Was doing a mileage run to SIN on Qatar while combining a girls trip with my best friend in Australia. 12 flights total in 2 weeks. Think it’s only my craziest because it’s my longest by miles and the transcons all in J.

Last edited by PandaSoPink; Sep 13, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Certainly won't be nearly as ridiculous as mileage runs here, but for the time and place a lot of people thought we were nuts: during the earliest years of online booking and NetsAAver fares on AA, we'd somewhat regularly buy weekend trips from ORD to Europe, usually buying on a Wednesday and flying out Thursday night. I was almost always paying with VDB vouchers, which you needed an in-person agent for at the time. The use of a voucher permitted the Web support line to put the NetsAAver fare on hold for a few hours. We walked across the street from our office to the CTO in Schaumburg where the agents were super chill and got to know us pretty well.

Probably did a dozen of these in 2 years, mostly in the winter or spring, avg R/T was low $300's. As a Platinum I earned tons of miles, although that wasn't the primary reason we were flying. We upgraded occasionally but in my 20s the back of the bus didn't bother me too much. The flights were usually half-empty anyway. We hit most of AA's nonstop TATL destinations this way.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
ZRH-CPH-GOT SOG-BGO-ARN-ZRH-DXB DXB-ZRH-ARN-ZRH-NUE (this last part I did in only two days, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in the ZRH F lounge ) NUE-ZRH

This is my trip I just recently took: GOT to SOG I did to take part on a week long road trip with my friends, in DXB flight I managed to squeeze in a small vacation with family members and the NUE part is for a wedding. All in J or F. All of which cost me 3k for flights and an additional 1k for hotels. And boy is it amazing. (Still in NUE currently) I feel like Ryan Bingham having spent more time in the airport than at home last week.

I’m sure I’m nowhere near you guys, but I’m a student and this was my first really intensive mileage run.

Another thing I and my higachool friends always wanted to do was to once during lunch break fly from Zurich to London and then skype to our geography teacher (we had geography in the afternoon) from infront of a famous landmark. Sadly, we never did it But I’m still up for such crazy ideas (& I need 12k more Eurobonus miles for *G status!)

Last edited by Nick Art; Sep 13, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:57 am

I've had my share of crazy journeys:

-GRU-FRA-OPO. Next day OPO-FRA-GRU. ( to spend holidays with friends) Arrived in GRU in the morning and in the evening I did GRU-DFW-HKG;

- GRU-DFW-SEA-LAX-DFW-GRU on a weekend ( a mileage run)

- This year I did GRU-FCO-AMS and the next day AMS-GRU ( to see a concert)

- Last year: GRU-LIS-MUC-ZAG-MUC-LIS-OPO (one day) - OPO-FRA-ZAG-LIS-GRU . This was to celebrate S. Joćo in Porto.

:P
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Amex
On the Dutch InsideFlyer, a guy made a tripreport of one of his mileage-runs. It consisted of 5 overnight-flights and 1 overnight stay in a hotel in 7 days.

Wednesday: Amsterdam - Madrid - London - Singapore (overnight)
Thursday: Singapore - London (overnight)
Friday: London - Paris (night in Paris)
Saturday: Paris - London - Singapore - Sydney (2x overnight)
Monday: Sydney - Singapore - London (overnight)
Tuesday: London - Madrid - Amsterdam.

Total costs: 400€. He found a deal doing Madrid - Paris, with a layover in any airport in the world. It had to be a layover and not a stopover. He couldn't spend any more than 24 hours in 1 place. This earned him 70k miles.

Unfortunately I can't post URL's yet, but if you google Insideflyer mileage run sydney it should pop straight up.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I've done countless LAX-NYC r/ts for a single meeting of half a day or less; they don't even register anymore.

But on the personal side:

LAX-SFO-BOS-LAX: In Spring, 2009, when VX was new in the BOS market, AA was doing 3xEQMs and $79 o/w fares LAX-BOS. I was ExecPlat then, but had just left a job and was not looking likely to requalify. So, I booked 3 r/ts, about 17k EQMs each - for $475; each one was LAX-SFO in the early evening, SFO-BOS redeye, and BOS-LAX at around 7am - 2 of them were consecutive days. Back then, BOS-LAX was a 767, with international seats (angle-flat IIRC), and my free ExecPlat upgrades cleared on all 6 longhauls, so I was getting a 2-3 hour nap in the "regular" domestic F seat, and then 5+ hours of solid shuteye on the angle-flat. The cabins were full of FTers - at least 9 of us went to the AC together on one of my trips.

The best part of it was one flight SFO-BOS, about 5 of us FTers in F got the flight attendant to announce that the flight to LAX was out of Gate {whatever it said on our BPs}. Laughter filled the cabin!
Nick Art likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
I've got a few
My craziest was:
  • DTW-ORD-SFO (early morning)
  • Went from the airport to a 4 hour mock flight for a friend's design firm whereby we were in a mock-up of a plane in a warehouse and gave feedback on their design ideas
  • Home for a few hours
  • SFO-DFW (redeye)
  • Lounge for a few hours
  • DFW-HKG
  • Overnight
  • Morning Meeting
  • HKG-LAX-SFO
Another time on a mileage run did SFO-LAX-LHR, met up with some friends early evening until about 4am, flew back LHR-LAX-SFO around 2pm.

Finally, in the crazy routing category
  • I once got two of my friends UA MP tickets back from Turkey on the following routing: ASR-IST (overnight)-MUC-LHR-YHZ-PHL-SFO
  • I once did DTW-DCA-LGA (got a haircut in Manhattan) JFK-BRU-TXL-CDG-LIS and then drove 3 hours to southern Portugal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.