Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most ridiculous journey you've done/heard of?

Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Evening all,

Was just wondering what the most ridiculous journey you've heard of or completed yourself was?

I once met a Japanese man who had flown to NYC from Tokyo for an interview, stayed for one night (in which he went to the bar, hence how I met him) and then flew back the next day, 32 hours or so of flight time in 2 days not including transfers etc
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: none
Doing the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:42 pm

I've done a few but never thought they were ridiculous. Bangkok to Auckland to see a game of rugby. (I coud claim Glasgow to Auckland but I stopped off in Bangkok on the way.) Edinburgh to Singapore for a pint with mates. Glasgow to Bangkok another time for a birthday party.

I'm sure there's more extreme than this and not ridiculous at all. This is flyertalk after all.
Reds2011, spamman808 and ne52 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
A friend of mine keeps trying to convince me to go in with his crazy plan: fastest possible circumnavigation in F done only on miles. Most likely it's something like SFO-HKG-DXB-SFO but we haven't done the math.

Can't bring myself to blow all those miles to literally just fly around.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
A friend of mine with non-rev privileges would regularly do weekend trips to various European locales (from the east coast of the US) during undergrad. Unlikely to be the "most ridiculous" thing in this thread, but it earned him several funny looks back then.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:44 pm

YYZ - LHR - DXB - SYD
Watched the NYE fireworks from the Opera house, turned around flew back to LHR, visited a friend for a few days and went home.
Luckily YYZ - LHR was BA F and the rest was QF F.
Felt like I spent more time in the air then on the ground.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This year alone:

JFK-SFO-YYZ-SFO-TPE-SFO-YYZ-LGA

EWR-CPH-ZRH-AMS-CTU-AMS-ZRH-CPH-EWR

LGA-YYZ-HKG-BKK-KUL-BKK-HKG-YYZ-LGA

All trips completed in less than a week. Most in a few days.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Might be a little crazy but I just finished this trip from last thursday evening Sep 6 to tuesday morning Sep 10. 4 amazing cities in 4 wonderful countries in 4 days.

YYZ ✈ SFO ✈ HKG ✈ SIN ✈ BKK ✈ NRT ✈ SFO ✈ YYZ

Big thanks to the singapore forums for all the tips. I am very glad to have booked a late night flight out of singapore to bangkok. My 6.45 pm Air Canada 8491 flight from toronto got delayed for 1.5 hrs and I've missed the 10.45 pm United Airlines 1 direct flight from San Francisco to Singapore. I was rebooked on the next flight out which is the 1.20 am Singapore Airlines 1. I guess I am still lucky as I got upgraded to a much better airline but I did lose 5 hours that I could have use to roam around Singapore.

Flight Details:

UA8491 6:45 p.m.
Thu., Sep. 6, 2018
Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ - Pearson) 9:07 p.m.
Thu., Sep. 6, 2018
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Fare Class:
United Economy (K)
Meals: None Flight Time:
5 hr 22 mn
Flight UA 8491 is operated by Air Canada.

UA1 10:40 p.m.
Thu., Sep. 6, 2018
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) 6:15 a.m.
Sat., Sep. 8, 2018
Singapore, SG (SIN) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Fare Class:
United Economy (K)
Meals: Dinner Flight Time:
16 hr 35 mn

TR 868 (Scoot B787-8) - 2h 25min
Fare Class: N1
Depart Singapore (SIN)
Singapore - Changi Airport Terminal 2
Arrive Bangkok (Don Mueang) (DMK)
Bangkok (Don Mueang) - Don Mueang International Terminal 1
22:20
8 Sep 2018
23:45
8 Sep 2018

UA7955 12:30 a.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
Bangkok, TH (BKK) 8:40 a.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
Tokyo, JP (NRT - Narita) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Fare Class:
United Economy (L)
6 hr 10 mn
Flight UA 7955 is operated by All Nippon Airways.

NH8 5:10 p.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
Tokyo, JP (NRT - Narita) 10:30 a.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) Boeing 777-300ER
Fare Class:
Economy (L)
9 hr 20 mn
Flight NH 8 is operated by All Nippon Airways.

UA8518 10:40 p.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) 6:35 a.m.
Mon., Sep. 10, 2018
Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ - Pearson) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Fare Class:
United Economy (L)
-5 mn

Last edited by mikomi2001; Sep 12, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Started in Barttlesville, OK on a Thursday afternoon, skied 2 weekend days at Val d'Isere, back at Bartlesville Tuesday morning.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
IAH-HKG for 2 nights.
brp1264 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Plenty of day trips:

YYZ-ZRH Arrive at 08:00. 4 hour meeting. ZRH-FRA-YYZ departing at 14:00 on the same day. Gone from home for 25hrs .

YYZ-HKG. Straight to the office at 15:00 after arriving, overnight, work the morning and then HKG-YYZ in the afternoon. On the ground for 24hrs. Did the same rotation as the crew.

YYZ-ZRH-VIE. On the ground for one day. VIE-ZRH-YYZ arrived in YYZ around 14:00; hopped on YYZ-FRA-OSL that evening. On the ground in YYZ for 7hrs. OSL-FRA-YYZ after being in OSL for one day.

YYZ-FRA-VIE. One-day presentation then VIE-FRA-YYZ .

YYZ-HKG-TPE. On the ground in TPE for one day then TPE-HKG-YYZ the next day.

YYZ-YVR-HNL. Arrive in HNL at 21:00. Work the following day and depart HNL-YVR-YYZ at 18:00. On the ground for 21hrs.

YYZ-SFO. Arrive in the evening, morning meeting and fly SFO-YYZ in the afternoon. On the ground for 18 hrs.

YYZ-FRA/ZRH-BRU unknown number of times for single-day meetings.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

What kind of job do you do? Sounds exciting!

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Plenty of day trips:

YYZ-ZRH Arrive at 08:00. 4 hour meeting. ZRH-FRA-YYZ departing at 14:00 on the same day. Gone from home for 25hrs .

YYZ-HKG. Straight to the office at 15:00 after arriving, overnight, work the morning and then HKG-YYZ in the afternoon. On the ground for 24hrs. Did the same rotation as the crew.

YYZ-ZRH-VIE. On the ground for one day. VIE-ZRH-YYZ arrived in YYZ around 14:00; hopped on YYZ-FRA-OSL that evening. On the ground in YYZ for 7hrs. OSL-FRA-YYZ after being in OSL for one day.

YYZ-FRA-VIE. One-day presentation then VIE-FRA-YYZ .

YYZ-HKG-TPE. On the ground in TPE for one day then TPE-HKG-YYZ the next day.

YYZ-YVR-HNL. Arrive in HNL at 21:00. Work the following day and depart HNL-YVR-YYZ at 18:00. On the ground for 21hrs.

YYZ-SFO. Arrive in the evening, morning meeting and fly SFO-YYZ in the afternoon. On the ground for 18 hrs.

YYZ-FRA/ZRH-BRU unknown number of times for single-day meetings.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
When I worked for Carnival Corp we would be flown out to board the cruise ships on 'SEMN' fares which often had some bizarre routings but the company saved a few dollars here and there. One of the worst was flying from Manchester to Puenta Arenas and was flown MAN-LHR-MIA-SCL-PMC-PUQ and annoyingly the the flight from SCL-PMC was on an aircraft that was continuing to PUQ but the ticket booked required me to disembark and wait 3 hours where I would be placed on the next flight. No surprises that my bags didn't make it.

I once flew from Oman to Melbourne via Dubai for a company medical exam, landing in the morning, straight into the medical and flying back in the afternoon to Oman. That was also in economy... ouch.

I also flew MIA-JFK-ICN-CEB to find upon landing that I was needed back in Miami and was on a flight 12 hours later flying CEB-DVO-SIN-LHR-MIA, so circumnavigated the world in about 36 hours.

When I swallowed the anchor and stopped travelling last year having flown over 1 million miles (and sailed many millions more) in 12 years I have to say I don't miss the heavy work travel. But I do look forward to the leisure travel a lot more.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I once flew BOS-JFK, sat at JFK for over three hours to connect to JFK-ONT, flew 6.5 hours to ONT, sat there for three hours, boarded the same plane, flew back for 5.5 hrs, connected to a JFK-BOS flight at the next gate over departing 40 mins after the arrival of my ONT flight just to submit a piece/article about the inaugural parties to an airline industry publication only for them to decide not to publish it? Yeah, that was me last week

That article will be posted on FT later as a trip report.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I thought it was pretty crazy when someone on FT did a "same day" mileage run from SFO-SIN on United, where he landed, passed through immigration, and then got back on the same UA plane. He got lucky that his GPU cleared for the return, but even still, that's 31.5 hours of flying with only 2-3 hours layover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.