Seat kicker — what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat kicker — what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Sorry, but if you can't fit in the seat then you need to make other arrangements -- flight in bulkhead, fly in an emergency row or fly in first class on an airline that offers it. Your special need does not justify imposing on strangers. I'm curious: would you object if a COS spread into half your seat, or would you consider it a "jerk move" that the COS didn't make other arrangements to accommodate HIS special need.
Out of the 100+ times a year I travel I run into this issue probably once or twice. There are certain situations where I would love to sit in the bulkhead, emergency exit, first class, etc. but due to unforeseen circumstances those seats were no longer available. I don't have "special needs", I'm just tall, and unfortunately there is not a lot of distance between the seat in front of me and and my knees if I am stuck in the back of the plane. If the person in front of me reclines their seat, the seat will hit my knees. If I move, the person will feel it in their seat. I don't complain to the recliner and I don't expect them to complain to me if their seat is moved around by my knees every few minutes as I try to get comfortable or readjust.

I can run the "it's there so I can do it scenario" for just about anything. Who controls the window blind on the plane? The window seat? What if the sun is blinding the person in the aisle? Must be the person in the aisles fault for not booking a window and they can stay blinded the whole flight.

You can recline whenever you want but my knees will be in your back and making you uncomfortable too.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I don't have "special needs", I'm just tall, and unfortunately there is not a lot of distance between the seat in front of me and and my knees if I am stuck in the back of the plane.
Sorry, but that's the definition of "special needs." Just as a Customer of Size needs more than the space provided by a single seat, you need more than the legroom provided by a standard E seat.

If the person in front of me reclines their seat, the seat will hit my knees.
I understand. Again, that's the problem that results from your special need.

If I move, the person will feel it in their seat. I don't complain to the recliner and I don't expect them to complain to me if their seat is moved around by my knees every few minutes as I try to get comfortable or readjust.
Do you complain if a COS, in trying to get comfortable, pushes you against the opposite armrest?

I can run the "it's there so I can do it scenario" for just about anything. Who controls the window blind on the plane? The window seat?
Yes, that's the unwritten rule, just as the middle seat gets both arm rests.

What if the sun is blinding the person in the aisle?
Then the blind should be adjusted. However, the problem is not the result of the person in the aisle having a special need beyond what the airline provides.

Must be the person in the aisles fault for not booking a window and they can stay blinded the whole flight.
Sorry, but the analogy is not even close.

You can recline whenever you want but my knees will be in your back and making you uncomfortable too.
And I will consider you selfish for appropriating my recline for your knees, just as I would consider a COS selfish for appropriating part of my seat for their torso.
GadgetFreak, rbwpi and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by klew97
With seat-kicking kids, suggest that the parents/guardians remove the kid's shoes, might cause enough pain to stop kicking.

Or one can try this approach as demonstrated by Arnold.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Sorry, but that's the definition of "special needs." Just as a Customer of Size needs more than the space provided by a single seat, you need more than the legroom provided by a standard E seat.

I understand. Again, that's the problem that results from your special need.

Do you complain if a COS, in trying to get comfortable, pushes you against the opposite armrest?

Yes, that's the unwritten rule, just as the middle seat gets both arm rests.

Then the blind should be adjusted. However, the problem is not the result of the person in the aisle having a special need beyond what the airline provides.

Sorry, but the analogy is not even close.

And I will consider you selfish for appropriating my recline for your knees, just as I would consider a COS selfish for appropriating part of my seat for their torso.
You need to review the definition of special needs.

Again, we can circle on unwritten rules, I think reclining should be one of them, you don’t. My knees will be in a persons back regardless and they will probably be upset. It’s a lose-lose game.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I’m sorry. I didn’t know it was a fellow Flyertaker.
84fiero and Ceres like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: TK*G
I'm glad that everyone seems to be in a consensus that OP was in the right in his situation, but the fact that so many sound like they are unwilling to compromise even the taller person requests politely is disappointing. Maybe it's because we're on the internet, but I hope that in person most of us have more compassion for our fellow travelers. Traveling in Y sucks for most and I would like to think that two adults can work out a reasonable compromise.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m 6’4” and circumferencally challenged. Having “been there” too many times I never recline my seat out of respect for the person behind me and fly in total misery. Seat kickers are what handguns were made for.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by State of Trance
I'm glad that everyone seems to be in a consensus that OP was in the right in his situation, but the fact that so many sound like they are unwilling to compromise even the taller person requests politely is disappointing. Maybe it's because we're on the internet, but I hope that in person most of us have more compassion for our fellow travelers. Traveling in Y sucks for most and I would like to think that two adults can work out a reasonable compromise.
Traveling in Y does suck. That’s why people travel in F. This is a very reasonable compromise... if you want or need more space, pay for it.
rbwpi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
It would be an easier pill to swallow if the airlines didn't fall all over themselves to see how many extra rows they can shove in by removing legroom (and lavatories). I'd like to see Congress and the DOT mandate space rules, for safety and evacuation purposes, if nothing else.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by etch5895
It would be an easier pill to swallow if the airlines didn't fall all over themselves to see how many extra rows they can shove in by removing legroom (and lavatories)..
If you don't like the product, don't buy the product.

I'd like to see Congress and the DOT mandate space rules, for safety and evacuation purposes, if nothing else.
Do you really want the federal government involved? See above and remember the ACA
rbwpi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
If you don't like the product, don't buy the product.

Do you really want the federal government involved? See above and remember the ACA
The 'product' benefits from my tax dollars. Therefore it can be subject to government regulations like many other products that serve the common good. What is wrong with the ACA?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
What is wrong with the ACA?
I believe that this falls under the category. If you have to ask. . .

PS: I apologize for bring politics into the thread.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, I think you handled it fairly well. You started by speaking directly to the person banging your seat. That's good, though you could have been less harsh about it. Either way, once the seat-kicker refused to stop, you quickly got an FA involved. That's the right thing to do when a single attempt to resolve it individually doesn't work.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:16 pm

OP you handled it fine though personally I wouldn't have talked to the idiot and went to the FA first.

Thankfully I've only had to deal with a persistent seat-kicker once. It started as soon as the engines spooled up for the take off roll out of ORD to PHX. I figured she was just nervous or a bit scared so I ignored it until finally about 20 minutes into the flight I turned around and politely said "You're not going to kick my seat all the way to Phoenix are you?" Thankfully her mom gave her the "knock it of NOW!" look and that ended it.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd like to see Congress and the DOT mandate space rules, for safety and evacuation purposes, if nothing else.
Sorry, but these cramped seat configs are perfectly safe from an evacuation perspective (as rigorously tested, and occasionally demonstrated in real emergencies).
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.