FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat kicker — what would you do?
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm
longtimereader firstimeposter

Originally Posted by PTravel
Sorry, but if you can't fit in the seat then you need to make other arrangements -- flight in bulkhead, fly in an emergency row or fly in first class on an airline that offers it. Your special need does not justify imposing on strangers. I'm curious: would you object if a COS spread into half your seat, or would you consider it a "jerk move" that the COS didn't make other arrangements to accommodate HIS special need.
Out of the 100+ times a year I travel I run into this issue probably once or twice. There are certain situations where I would love to sit in the bulkhead, emergency exit, first class, etc. but due to unforeseen circumstances those seats were no longer available. I don't have "special needs", I'm just tall, and unfortunately there is not a lot of distance between the seat in front of me and and my knees if I am stuck in the back of the plane. If the person in front of me reclines their seat, the seat will hit my knees. If I move, the person will feel it in their seat. I don't complain to the recliner and I don't expect them to complain to me if their seat is moved around by my knees every few minutes as I try to get comfortable or readjust.

I can run the "it's there so I can do it scenario" for just about anything. Who controls the window blind on the plane? The window seat? What if the sun is blinding the person in the aisle? Must be the person in the aisles fault for not booking a window and they can stay blinded the whole flight.

You can recline whenever you want but my knees will be in your back and making you uncomfortable too.