Reload this Page >

Seat kicker — what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat kicker — what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Am I the only person who finds it a lot harder to breathe when the seat is bolt upright or leaning forward? I'm slightly asthmatic with shortness of breath problems, overweight but not obese, FWIW.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
It typically doesn't bother my asthma but I have a bad back. As in real bad sometimes. It helps to lean back a bit.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Meh.

I travel alot for work, and am required to use United - when required to go to LAX from IAD with less than 24 hours notice it is often not possible to chose a 'comfy' seat, I get what is available.

Now I am only 5'10", but for some reason in economy, not economy plus (plenty of room there), my knees will be flat against the seat in front of me - you recline and you will be pressing my knees - I will move every 30 seconds to keep circulation, your seat will be josteled around, I will get up every 15-30 minutes - I will use your seatback as leverage because I have no choice - and if, as it seems half the seats recline twice as far as they should so that my nose is 2-3 inches from the top of your head, if i sneeze i will (not intentionaly) most do it fully into your hair because i can not get my handkerchief up around in time - intentionally? Nope. But those are the realities - you want to recline in regular economy, go ahead I will not stop you or even say anything - but like the FA said to the guy cleaning bloody snot out of his hair who reclined in an obviously broken chair (who bragged to his buddy about how the seat was almost as good as a ly-flat - btw this is something i witnessed not something i participated in), "What did you expect him to do, his arms are almost pinned to his body".....

-Nhilar

Last edited by Nhilar; Dec 15, 2017 at 2:58 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nhilar
I travel alot for work, and am required to use United - when required to go to LAX from IAD with less than 24 hours notice it is often not possible to chose a 'comfy' seat, I get what is available.

Now I am only 5'10", but for some reason in economy, not economy plus (plenty of room there), my knees will be flat against the seat in front of me - you recline and you will be pressing my knees - I will move every 30 seconds to keep circulation, your seat will be josteled around, I will get up every 15-30 minutes - I will use your seatback as leverage because I have no choice - and if, as it seems half the seats recline twice as far as they should so that my nose is 2-3 inches from the top of your head, if i sneeze i will do it fully into your hair because i can not get my handkerchief up around in time - intentionally? Nope. But those are the realities - you want to recline in regular economy, go ahead I will not stop you or even say anything - but like the FA said to the guy cleaning bloody snot out of his hair who reclined in an obviously broken chair (who bragged to his buddy about how the seat was almost as good as a ly-flat), "What did you expect him to do, his arms are almost pinned to his body".....

-Nhilar
Reason enough for me not to fly United out of IAD.

In all seriousness, if someone sneezed “bloody snot” into my hair I would do everything possible to have them met by the police and arrested for assault upon landing. And if the flight crew wouldn’t cooperate I would dial 911 on touchdown. I would also try to have them tested for communicable diseases and the charges modified according to the results of the tests.

PTravel, BadgerBoi, rbwpi and 1 others like this.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 14, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m currently sitting on 259 back home. I’m in 25A. This is a great seat with no seat in front of me. Back at the gate the guy behind me started likely kicking my seat back. It was annoying. Fast forward 30 minutes later climbing up to cruise I press the recline back to go halfway back. Dude behind me flips. “”NO MORE — DONT RECLINE I CANT FEEL MY LEGS!” He then started going to town on the chair. I kid you not. I then hit my boiling point. Take off my headphones, turn around and say “dude what the hell is your problem? Sorry I have every right to recline.” He went off on me to the passenger next to him calling me every name in the book. Immediately I lean forward to the flight attendant seated in the jump seat directly in front of me and tell him what’s going on. He agrees it’s totally unacceptable and re-accommodates this man in 16D aisle.

Thoughts? What should I have done differently if anything?
If he was kicking at the gate, that was the time to call attention to the behavior. That way, if there was no seat alternative he could fly on the next flight.
It reduces the odds of a non compliant passenger while you are in the air
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
If he was kicking at the gate, that was the time to call attention to the behavior. That way, if there was no seat alternative he could fly on the next flight.
It reduces the odds of a non compliant passenger while you are in the air
Good points.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Reason enough for me not to fly United out of IAD.

In all seriousness, if someone sneezed “bloody snot” into my hair I would do everything possible to have them met by the police and arrested for assault upon landing. And if the flight crew wouldn’t cooperate I would dial 911 on touchdown. I would also try to have them tested for communicable diseases and the charges modified according to the results of the tests.

To be clear this was not me (the sneazer - although i have decided if i am so trapped i would no choice in the matter) , my requirement for travel is an aisle seat so i can get up frequenty (15-30 minutes, ulceration is no joke I will not travel without an aisle), and I would have turned my head to the aisle - however if you were the guy in the middle who was being layed on - I saw what happened - he had could either sneaze forward or left on me or right on another person...i think he chose correctly.....and what would the police say? "You were pinning him in his seat so he could not even move his hands......"

-Nhilar
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:40 pm

To be clear this was not me (the sneazer - although i have decided if i am so trapped i would no choice in the matter) , my requirement for travel is an aisle seat so i can get up frequenty (15-30 minutes, ulceration is no joke I will not travel without an aisle), and I would have turned my head to the aisle - however if you were the guy in the middle who was being layed on - I saw what happened - he had could either sneaze forward or left on me or right on another person...i think he chose correctly.....and what would the police say? "You were pinning him in his seat so he could not even move his hands......"

-Nhilar
I think the he reclined his seat vs he sprayed bodily fluids including blood on me is unlikely to go any way but one.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Sorry, but you lose any credibility when you try to justify intentionally sneezing into someone's hair. I get it that the seat situation on most carriers is bad and getting worse. I also wouldn't have a problem with seats on short haul aircraft just not reclining more than an inch or so. But there are some things you just don't do. Ring the flight attendant and have them fix the situation.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
It typically doesn't bother my asthma but I have a bad back. As in real bad sometimes. It helps to lean back a bit.
I'm the same way. I don't have to recline much; maybe three or for inches at the most just so I'm not sitting completely upright.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Sorry, but you lose any credibility when you try to justify intentionally sneezing into someone's hair. I get it that the seat situation on most carriers is bad and getting worse. I also wouldn't have a problem with seats on short haul aircraft just not reclining more than an inch or so. But there are some things you just don't do. Ring the flight attendant and have them fix the situation.
I never said intentional anything, Re-read the original comment - no act was intentional and that was the point - moving to get comfortable will jostel the seat in front because there is no room - and a sneeze if someone does have the physical room WILL end up in someones hair because there is no room..not much you can do about something you can't do anything about.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I'm the same way. I don't have to recline much; maybe three or for inches at the most just so I'm not sitting completely upright.
Yeah, I at one time had fractures of all of my lumbar vertebrae. They're much better now but can still get uncomfortable in some positions. Since they’re the lowest bones though it doesn’t take much of a tilt to reduce the pressure on them.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:52 am

I never said intentional anything, Re-read the original comment - no act was intentional and that was the point - moving to get comfortable will jostel the seat in front because there is no room - and a sneeze if someone does have the physical room WILL end up in someones hair because there is no room..not much you can do about something you can't do anything about.
I'm not talking about who did it. I'm talking about the act itself and I am totally not buying it. Almost all of us here have flown coach. As a FTer I’m a bit embarrassed to admit I flew in coach last week from JFK-LHR. It wasn’t pleasant but I didn’t assault anyone. I have hay fever so some times of the year I’m pretty sniffly. So I put a package of tissue in my shirt pocket or somewhere accessible no matter what type of seat I’m in. People deal with things without assaulting their fellow passengers.
PTravel likes this.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:25 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I turn around and confront the kicker. If that doesn't work then involve FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.