Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are coach-class travelers looked down on by premium-class ones?

Old Nov 28, 17, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have a relative who refers to people who lack airline lounge memberships and who travel in coach as (surely in jest) "what Hillary Clinton called them- the deplorables."

While perhaps people in the first-class cabin and in airline lounges maybe have more disposable income, maybe coach-class people just fly less or prefer to spend their money in other ways. I also figure that people who have their own planes (or at least AmEx Centurion lounge memberships) look down on me as "deplorable".

Do you look down on people who fly coach and lack airline lounge memberships? Or do you know people who do look down on them?
Old Nov 28, 17, 7:24 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
When I'm talking with my wife I refer to the back of the plane as "scum class"
Of course it's in jest, as I spend most of my flying time back there myself.
msp3 and Proudelitist like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 7:49 am

Programs: *G
im sure this question will invite anything but pious and/or snarky and/or contemptful responses centered around anxiety and class consciousness (even if airline class of service barely represents class differentiation)

Last edited by deniah; Nov 28, 17 at 8:45 am
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think coach class passengers look down on coach class passengers...hence why I've heard it called Monkey Class or whatever...

It also works in reverse....I've had coach passengers be difficult with me despite being very polite when I've tried to get to the Priority/FC line when they're just hanging back from the gate waiting for Group 8 or whatever but blocking the way..."Excuse me, are you in line for first class?" or similar

It's all out class warfare, I tell you!
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post

Do you look down on people who fly coach and lack airline lounge memberships? Or do you know people who do look down on them?
No, and no; but there is behavior in the various cabins and lounges which do sometimes invite thoughts like "what in the world .....!?!?".

But there are lots of different kinds of people on the planet, and I wouldn't be surprised if our President is one of those kind of people.
stormlover likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I often leave a Centurion Lounge to board in coach, or step of an F upgrade to stand in a taxi line with everyone else, so I find it hard to look down on myself.
Zeeb and AStarr like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I look down on people when I'm travelling upstairs on the 747 or 380.

But that's a very literal interpretation of the question.
Fraser, RoyalSwazi, Zeeb and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:40 am
Suspended

Of COURSE! I am Proudelitist! Those stinking hoi polloi in the back make me ill. Soft brained mouth breathers, everyone! Part of the reward of flying F is sensing their seething envy. Like ambrosia.

Seriously though, for me the issue is more about "amature hour". Known here on FT as Kettles, they don't fly often enough to understand the basics of how to fly. Everything from grabbing the head rest of other people's aisle seats as they get up and walk around to thinking they can check in and seat select at the airport 20 minutes before the flight as if it were 1985, then screaming that the airline did not seat them together. They are the ones who don't understand the value of seat selection and the price differences and who will demand swaps from people so they can sit next to their adult kids, offering the middle seat in exchange. They are the ones who bring luggage on board that does not fit in the overhead. They are the gate lice from the last boarding group who try to board with F pax. They will stand stock still in the jetway upon deplaning trying to orient themselves as pax pile up behind them.

I don't fly in F to rub their run-of-the-mill faces in it (much), I fly F because it offers to respite from them.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Nov 28, 17 at 3:15 pm
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I am a committed economy class flyer and often jokingly refer to it as "cattle class" (I have also recently started referring to premium economy as "Wagyu class").

I could afford to travel business class (Kobe class?) if I really wanted to, but I prefer to spend the cash/miles on doing more trips (or longer trips). That is my decision and I respect that others may make different choices.

I have certainly never felt "looked down on" for travelling cattle class, nor have I felt any envy towards those who choose to pay for higher classes. It's just a personal choice.
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
There was a girl in my high school class who flew a couple of times in first class (in high school, circa 1995). She looked down on those of us in the back of the plane for sure. Her dad had gotten a "big promotion" or something. I think because of that, my young adult opinion was that the front of the plane is for rich snobby types.

After growing up, I realized people up there are mostly just normal people who fly a lot (including occasionally me now). Sprinkled in there is the occasional snob.
Counsellor and Zeeb like this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by mdkowals View Post
After growing up, I realized people up there are mostly just normal people who fly a lot (including occasionally me now). Sprinkled in there is the occasional snob.
I think this is a pretty fair analysis. Yes, there are a few people around who are snobby about flyung in premium classes, but in my experience they are a small minority.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mdkowals View Post
There was a girl in my high school class who flew a couple of times in first class (in high school, circa 1995). She looked down on those of us in the back of the plane for sure. Her dad had gotten a "big promotion" or something. I think because of that, my young adult opinion was that the front of the plane is for rich snobby types.

Hehe. I went to HS in the 80s with a gal who had a similar attitude. She went to Europe every summer (FC only, of course), to visit family. She couldn't understand how the rest of us lived without swimming pools in our backyards, and a car and driver to get us to and from school. On and on it went. As it turned out, really bad things had been done, and they lost the house with the pool, the car and driver, and I guess the family in Europe turned out to be not so close or something, since they never came to visit the US.

Anyhow, as someone who did spend summers visiting grandparents and other relatives in Europe from the time I was a kid, I was smart and kept my mouth shut about it. When people asked me how I spent my summer, I would just say, "With my grandparents and my cousins." No one asked me anything more. To this day, when people ask me about class of travel, I keep it vague, and people assume we fly coach. A heck of a lot easier than explaining the lengths I go to to find premium seats at decent prices. Which is none of anyone's business. Outside of this forum.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Why else would we pay to fly up front, or board earlier? It's all about that scowl you get to throw at economy class passengers as they walk past you to get to their tiny chairs.

Oh who am I pretending to be. I sit in the back probably 90% of my flights, if not more. If I'm sitting up front it's because I found a decent deal, or it's a mileage redemption anyway.
Old Nov 28, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC P25
the whole existence of elite tags and such breeds this type of behaviour. Thankfully in my experience most people are, well human, but there are jerks in every class.
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
While perhaps people in the first-class cabin and in airline lounges maybe have more disposable income
Or far more likely, they are yet on another boring work trip, missing time with their families. They get shiny tags from the airlines and it makes them important in one aspect of their otherwise unimpressive boring widget sales trip filled life.

Its up to you if you want to envy that kind of lifestyle.
Statman, The_Bouncer and cairns like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: