Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat kicker — what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Years ago, on a CX flight from JFK-HKG in Y, a little kid, maybe 5 years old, was kicking the back of my brother's seat. Like, kick kick kick kick, constantly. Because he was bored. My brother kindly asked the mom to get her son to stop, and she nodded. But it continued. He asked her again, but it still continued.

Finally, he called the FA over, and said to her, loud enough so the mom could hear, "This kid is out of control and kicking my seat. Do you have, I don't know, a cage you could put him in?"
--------
I especially love it when parents completely tune out and ignore the situation. They never seem to be able to see anything straight on or peripherally. I guess being a parent grants some the right to space out, ignore, take a "trip" somewhere else while their kid is annoying others. Don't they hear the noise, bouncing, tapping, thumping that the kid is doing ????
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by enviroian
he was a normal guy probably mid 30’s. I’d estimate him to be 6’ tall. What is the seat pitch of 26A anyway? Non MCE seat—30”?

If he wanted more legroom he should have purchased a seat with that. I remember hearing him tell the poor guy next to him “well if I had a seat like that I wouldn’t be complaining!”

your lack of planning is not my concern. Sorry.
According to Seatguru, it's 31-32". No excuse for someone only 6'. I'm about his height with a shorter torso and longer legs and the only time I've actually had an issue was on LCCs like AirAsia that offer 29". Sounds like he was just out looking for a fight.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
If a child is kicking my seat, I assume the parents have already failed to teach manners/personal space and I simply become the face that appears over the seat saying to the child, "don't kick the seat anymore". That has been effective on several occasions. If this child has gotten older, agree that getting the flight attendant involved is the way to go. Daze
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:51 pm
Suspended

You have spend your maximum effort to control yourself that much. You've done nothing wrong. I cannot endure it like you. When i met someone who is kickbacker, i set limit for the levels, like if he kicked 3 times, i hit my elbow to the seat to alert him, if he's still kicking for another 3 times, i will talk to him, for another 3 i call the attendant. The important thing is don't feel guilty for what you have done right or you will get hot very fast next time you encounter someone like him
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Mr 26A is going to really love the new 737 Max and AA's plans for densification across other planes lol.
jcatman likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:58 am

I’m currently sitting on 259 back home. I’m in 25A. This is a great seat with no seat in front of me. Back at the gate the guy behind me started likely kicking my seat back. It was annoying. Fast forward 30 minutes later climbing up to cruise I press the recline back to go halfway back. Dude behind me flips. “”NO MORE — DONT RECLINE I CANT FEEL MY LEGS!” He then started going to town on the chair. I kid you not. I then hit my boiling point. Take off my headphones, turn around and say “dude what the hell is your problem? Sorry I have every right to recline.” He went off on me to the passenger next to him calling me every name in the book. Immediately I lean forward to the flight attendant seated in the jump seat directly in front of me and tell him what’s going on. He agrees it’s totally unacceptable and re-accommodates this man in 16D aisle.

Thoughts? What should I have done differently if anything?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Just because you can doesn't mean you should!
I take the polite way and turn around and ask the person behind me if it is ok that I recline. Only once has somebody asked that I do not - so I did not, they were working on their laptop. A bit of courtesy goes a long way.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by State of Trance
According to Seatguru, it's 31-32". No excuse for someone only 6'. I'm about his height with a shorter torso and longer legs and the only time I've actually had an issue was on LCCs like AirAsia that offer 29". Sounds like he was just out looking for a fight.
This was a 320B refurb with the new slimline seats. The appeared to almost swivel recline rather than traditional recline (like the 738's).

The dude kept on staring at my when he moved up to 16D. It was rather odd. Needless to say my senses were heightened when I left he jetway but he wasn't there.

All in all it was a very peculiar day. Before I boarded the flight I went to the bathroom in the terminal. Next to me a guy next was hurling like crazy. Then this nutjob and when I left the plane in DFW and went to the bathroom a second time someone else was hurling like crazy. To top it opp, when I got on the DART train platform some dude came up to me and said "hey can you help me?I"m drunk and i need to get to IHOP". Not wanting to know really anything more about his predicament, i said "No, sorry pal" and boarded. Sure enough he did too and passed out swiftly within 5 minutes.

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 11, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic
Kids are controllable to a point - parents job

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I think what you did was perfectly acceptable. Mr. 26A seemed to be having a bad day, and involving the FA seemed to remedy the situation pretty well.

This may be a pathetic complaint, but I don't get kids who kick the seat in front of them because "they are bored." I was a child not too long ago, and the limited/small IFE (Moving map ), the window, or a book seemed to suffice in the entertainment department.
We've been flying on long haul flights with our son since he was 4. He has ADHD. We have come up with 5 strategies to keep him occupied during the longest flights. Every once in a while he used to push the touch screen in the seat back too hard or inadvertently kick the seat in front of him. We quickly (and loudly) admonished him, explained them impact on the person in front of him and required that he apologize to the person in front of him. That both dissuaded him from doing it and inspired understanding from the person in front.

In short, my view is that we parents own this behavior or we don't fly.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:13 am

6’3 here and unfortunately if I’m not in MCE or upgradesd you reclining your seat is going to be going into me knees. Every time I move you will feel my knees “kicking” at your back seat and being so uncomfortable, I will have to move a lot. Your 2 inches of minimal reclining comfort will be negated by my constant knee jabs.

Sorry, but reclining is a jerk move. You have unlimited leg room, and also want to recline into the poor guy in a non-MCE seat. Not cool.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
6’3 here and unfortunately if I’m not in MCE or upgradesd you reclining your seat is going to be going into me knees. Every time I move you will feel my knees “kicking” at your back seat and being so uncomfortable, I will have to move a lot. Your 2 inches of minimal reclining comfort will be negated by my constant knee jabs.

Sorry, but reclining is a jerk move. You have unlimited leg room, and also want to recline into the poor guy in a non-MCE seat. Not cool.
I respectfully disagree. My seat was available for him to choose and/or purchase up to one hour before the flight left (I was in a bulkhead before but 25A opened up and I snatched it) so he could have had that seat. It's not my problem he didn't have leg room. He could have purchased MCE or F. His choice. Sorry.
rbwpi and apeortdz like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
It's the good old "Do I have the right to fully recline my seat no matter who or what is behind me?" discussion.

If you ever sense another passenger is getting aggressive, best to refer the situation to a FA for resolution.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:06 am

I respectfully disagree. My seat was available for him to choose and/or purchase up to one hour before the flight left (I was in a bulkhead before but 25A opened up and I snatched it) so he could have had that seat. It's not my problem he didn't have leg room. He could have purchased MCE or F. His choice. Sorry.
you also have to be okay with my knees “kicking” your backseat. If you don’t want that, you can buy first, MCE or don’t recline.

Majority of people on your airplane fly once or twice a year, they don’t understand the nuances of seat selection, seat guru or where they are going to end up. Show a little compassion and stop reclining when the seat behind you is non-MCE or you’re not in F.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
you also have to be okay with my knees “kicking” your backseat. If you don’t want that, you can buy first, MCE or don’t recline.
as I noted above, your knees are only "kicking" the seat if you're deliberately making them do so.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To top it opp, when I got on the DART train platform some dude came up to me and said "hey can you help me?I"m drunk and i need to get to IHOP". Not wanting to know really anything more about his predicament, i said "No, sorry pal" and boarded. Sure enough he did too and passed out swiftly within 5 minutes.
"I'm drunk and I need to get to IHOP."

I think we've all been there before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.