Wiki Posts
Search

Explain the origin of "kettle" for me

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Explain the origin of "kettle" for me

I only see this term used to refer to inexperienced economy class pax here on this forum so I was curious where it was derived from. How did it's application come about ?

The two things that come to mind are the common saying " the pot calling the kettle black" where perhaps two members were debating a point and this came up........or the kids nursery rhyme "I'm a little teapot short and stout".........
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Comes from the Ma and Pa Kettle movie series from the 40s and 50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_and_Pa_Kettle
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
And the implication is you're a rube with no sophistication in regards flying etiquette.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, too late.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Thank you Denver Brian.

I've heard of them but they were not on my radar screen. Sort of an earlier version of the Beverley Hillbillies.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
Thank you Denver Brian.

I've heard of them but they were not on my radar screen. Sort of an earlier version of the Beverley Hillbillies.
Lesser-used to describe Kettles are to describe them as the Joads. I leave you to explore that reference.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Lesser-used to describe Kettles are to describe them as the Joads. I leave you to explore that reference.
I would not make this connection. If you read The Grapes of Wrath, you will see that the awareness and sophistication of the Joads, particularly that of Tom and its growth, over that of the entrenched political class, is one of the main points of the novel.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:42 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is definitely not a term unique to UA
What's a Kettle?

Please follow as the discussion moves to the TravelBuzz forum.

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's definitely not a term of affection. The Joads were not objects of mockery; the infrequent flyers FT often terms "Kettles" definitely are. The Ma and Pa Kettle movies made fun of their principals.

It's a belittling strategy in the name of tribal gatekeeping, although I will never understand why people feel the need to belittle those who don't know as many acronyms, fare classes, etc. as they do. It's not very nice.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Usually a term applied to infrequent flyers, but the only travelers I see behaving like kettles are the elite passengers all trying to be the first one to board a flight.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:50 pm

It's how the toffs pronounce 'Cattle'
NoizeBoy likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
I would not make this connection. If you read The Grapes of Wrath, you will see that the awareness and sophistication of the Joads, particularly that of Tom and its growth, over that of the entrenched political class, is one of the main points of the novel.
OK, Buzz Killington.

I'm thinking more the movie and the allusions to bringing all your worldly possessions with you on the journey.

Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Except people here never capitalize it, which would make the reference to Ma and Pa Kettle more obvious.

Except Ma and Pa Kettle were always nice and well-meaning, just ignorant, which doesn't always apply to the "kettles" referred to around here.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
What is wrong with Kettles?
Signed,
kettle1
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
If you grew up watching TV/Movies in the 40s/50s it's "kettles"; 60s/70s it's "ziffels"; 80s/90s it's "castanzas".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.