Reload this Page >

cabin crew... help needed [Death in flight codewords]

cabin crew... help needed [Death in flight codewords]

Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by meet and greet
.. involving the words "Phonix rising"
Can any one confirm this?
You might be getting mixed up with the PUCCI GALORE tale of the time she was tucking Phil the Flyer into his First Class bed. While bending over him he whispered the words ''the phoenix is rising'' into her ear.
I can't remember what her reaction was but I believe it wasn't to his liking.
msm2000uk and BERbound like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

You might be getting mixed up with the PUCCI GALORE tale of the time she was tucking Phil the Flyer into his First Class bed. While bending over him he whispered the words ''the phoenix is rising'' into her ear.
I can't remember what her reaction was but I believe it wasn't to his liking.
^
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:41 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this is a generic question where different airlines will have different policies, we'll move this over to TravelBuzz for further discussion.

/mod
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:22 pm

Does the crew have to consider the onset of rigor mortis?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I do know that on cruise ships they will use "Operation Bright Star" to indicate a medical emergency (I have heard that a few times). If a passenger dies, they will use "Operation Rising Star" (Only heard that once, and we were inbound to Miami).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:27 am

Orpscay in 42Dscay
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by meet and greet
Dear all,

As an author, I am currently writing a chapter in which a passenger becomes ill on a long haul flight, and then, unfortunately, passes away. An integral part of the storyline is how the cabin crew handle this situation. Could anyone help by advising the SOP for this ( Hopefully not from personal experience !)

Also I seem to remember that there is a code word for times when the crew are discussing such an event near pax... involving the words "Phonix rising"
Can any one confirm this?

Any help would be gratefully recieved !
many many thanks!
Not sure about the code. I am certain however, that it varies from airline to airline. As such, feel free to take liberties and make one up. Fictional airline means fictional codes.

I was once on a flight where a passenger died. I was in the row across the aisle. It was nothing high profile or dramatic. The pax appeared to be sleeping but something...maybe bowels/bladder emptying..made the pax beside him check. That pax got the FA.Then a few FA's showed up but they were being very low profile about it. They covered him in a blanket and we didn't divert or anything. Upon landing the FA stood in that row blocking the dead pax and they sort of rushed everyone off the plane.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mules
Does the crew have to consider the onset of rigor mortis?
I think rigor takes several hours to develop. But I guess if the flight was long haul and the pax died early it could happen.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Then a few FA's showed up but they were being very low profile about it.
So....the FAs get to make the "go, no-go" call?

This reminds me of some lines in the war movie "Fury"..

#1 , "Shoot them!"
#2 , "Why would I shoot them? They're already dead".
#1 , "How do you know they're dead? Are you a doctor?"
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
Orpscay in 42Dscay
​​​​​​​"Elvis has left the building."
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No code that I know of at BA, we would try and move the body to somewhere private but if that isn't possible we would leave it in the passengers seat, we wouldn't cover the body but we would close their eyes.
Originally Posted by ACabinCrewMember
Once the passenger does pass away it would be somewhere private if possible, if not, we'd but them back in their seat and blanket up to the shoulders.
If you can't find a private place what, if anything, is done for the other passengers in the row? Are they just expected to sit there beside a dead body?

What if his seat is the aisle and either the middle or the window use the lav? Do they just hop over the guy?

Will the FA continue meal/beverage service to that row even if it means reaching over the corpse?

What about the odour created if the deceased has defecated which does sometimes happen upon death? The prospect of sitting pressed up against a corpse who has purged his bowels a final time is hardly appealing.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's try to stay on-topic. The OP is asking about specific airline keyword(s), not general commentary about deaths on aircraft. Thanks! /Moderator
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.