Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it worth getting accustomed to a new timezone on a short stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

I'll be spending 3 days in CLE for a med school interview that'll run from 7-16 Eastern time (13-22 German time) on the last day of my stay in the US, and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to try adjusting to Eastern time, or whether I'm better off just trying to draw the curtains in the hotel room, sleep at 6PM Eastern (midnight central European time) and wake up around 2AM Eastern (8AM European). What do others do when they're only spending a few days on a different continent but need to be alert on one of those days?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I've always found that it is better for re-acclimation (for me) to stay up all night partying and then sleep like a log on the plane.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA
What time is your flight?

I'd probably just see how I felt that day. If you're flying back to Europe and need to be back on your European circadian cycle, I'd probably just go to sleep when I felt tired. If you're doing three days of interviews, you'll probably feel pretty tired.

Good luck with the interviews!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by STS Flight Surgeon
What time is your flight?

I'd probably just see how I felt that day. If you're flying back to Europe and need to be back on your European circadian cycle, I'd probably just go to sleep when I felt tired. If you're doing three days of interviews, you'll probably feel pretty tired.

Good luck with the interviews!
Thanks!

The interview itself is only one day; I'm arriving early because I figured I'd rather spend the weekend in Cleveland than risk missing the interview. I fly out of CLE at 6pm and ORD (to FRA) at 10pm the night of the interview. I'll probably just end up following my body's commands; it seems like trying to adjust might do more harm than good
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew
Thanks!

The interview itself is only one day; I'm arriving early because I figured I'd rather spend the weekend in Cleveland than risk missing the interview. I fly out of CLE at 6pm and ORD (to FRA) at 10pm the night of the interview. I'll probably just end up following my body's commands; it seems like trying to adjust might do more harm than good
That's basically what I've done in similar situations, too. Seems to have worked out ok. Good luck with the interview!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.