Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, the butler might, but otherwise it's overdress. It would be trying too hard. Just keep it simple, blazer, shirt, chinos (cranberry?) and some comfortable loafers are just fine. Looking like you're sitting on the bench for a third-rate football club...not so much.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LondonElite
A blazer and your school tie.
Pants are entirely optional.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pants are entirely optional.
LMAO. I love this thread!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:20 pm

No open shoes (or using the slippers)
Long pants (or changing into PJ)
Not extremely smelly

That's about all I could think of.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by t325
I only wear my finest tuxedo when flying premium cabins.
I assume you book economy and get upgraded as all the hints about how to get upgraded say dress nice. Lol
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, PEN Club, Belmond Bellini, Relais Chateaux PP & Dorchester Diamond
Comfortable, layers and clean has works well. Depending on location options to add on or peel down to.

TWMelissa
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
Thank you for sharing. Very sorry I didn't post to either of those threads instead. I do apologize.
Did you notice the date on those threads, they sure are not current, one goes back to 2013.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I've flown in all classes of service. For me, it's always t-shirt and my $20 target sweats.

Nice and comfy so I can sleep once wheels up.

I take my meals in the lounges so I can do other stuff in flight. This year I've slept through or declined an overwhelming majority of my in flight meals.

Flying is so much easier if you can eat your meals in a more proper venue than in an airplane seat.

I think next time I fly CX F, I'll just have the caviar and champagne and skip the entree.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Casual comfy clothing. I'm not going to wear suits, be miserable in my flight to impress people.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I've flown in all classes of service. For me, it's always t-shirt and my $20 target sweats.

Nice and comfy so I can sleep once wheels up.

I take my meals in the lounges so I can do other stuff in flight. This year I've slept through or declined an overwhelming majority of my in flight meals.

Flying is so much easier if you can eat your meals in a more proper venue than in an airplane seat.

I think next time I fly CX F, I'll just have the caviar and champagne and skip the entree.
For a frequent flier, I can see why eating in the lounge is appealing. But for the those of us who only get to experience F/J with award tickets once or twice a year, skipping the in-flight meal service is not really an option if one wants the full experience.

I guess you can say CX might be the exception as their meal quality has gone down lately and is unlikely to beat anything offered at HKG Pier lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Usually a polo shirt and shorts. Comfort first. There's no point in paying good money for a flat bed seat if you're just going to wear something that is uncomfortable or awkward to sleep in.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:24 am

I know this might sound bizarre, but I typically wear a comfortable shirt, sweater, khakis, a pair of decent socks, maybe a necktie and a pair of loafers or casual laceups. I dress in layers (for example, undershirt, shirt, sweater, possibly a blazer if it's cool and I probably have my trenchcoat stuffed into the bin. If it's winter, I also have either my parka or long wool overcoat instead ofa a trenchcoat. I don't travel light I'm a Mason, and I often have occasion to visit a lodge when I travel, so I do need formal wear. Do I wear it on the plane? No.

For me, what I wear on the plane is motivated by three factors. I have no illusion that wearing my best business attire is going to get me to a cabin I didn't pay for. However, it is generally:

1. Practicality. If I had to spend 4-10 hours in a metal tube, what would I want to be wearing. Would I be really, really upset if somebody spilled red wine on my clothing. Is it so expensive that it is impossible to replace. Is it so tight or loose as to invite damage? Is it polyester or a synthetic fabric which is too hot or sticky.

2. Space. I might wear a chunky knit cardigan on a plane and wear light layers beneath them. My shoes, am I wearing a pair of shoes which are hard to pack, but are essential to the trip? Am I going to be somewhere where I am going to need items which are hard to pack? Can I wear my blazer on the plane so I can fit an extra two shirts into my bag? Can I wear a tie on the plane if it means I don't have to pack another tie. You joke about school ties, but I regularly see people at the airport who are familiar with school ties, so I often wear mine (I have two) while traveling. You'd be surprised how many times you meet a priest who studied up the road from my college, or who recognize the crest.

3. Use. I own three safari jackets. I might wear one while traveling, they have four secure and useful pockets. Are my pants going to let my car keys fall out or get caught on the seat rest? Is my overcoat going to keep me warm? Is there a zippered up pocket available to hold my DL and travel documents?

If it isn't practical, doesn't save space or be useful, I probably am not wearing it. If it's a matter of simply looking nice on the plane, that rarely helps. I do sometimes actually wear a full, casual business suit if I'm going somewhere I need to be dressed for and don't have room in my suitcase for business dress or I need to meet somebody at the airport, but it's usually seersucker, linen or other cotton blends.

Chuck
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:47 am

Shirts, shorts (or jeans if expecting cold destination), sneakers. My typical business gear. Try not to shave for a few days beforehand. I can't sleep comfortably unless I can feel the hatred of everyone around me.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I always wear jeans. Never know if the cabin is going to be warm or cold, but I'd rather not be cold.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I once watched a lady board in F wearing a bikini and sarong for a long haul flight. May have been HKG to LHR or SIN to MUC. Cabin crew didn't bat an eyelid. I imagine she'd recently left an airport spa or similar as she was wearing open-toed slippers and had a fresh-looking pedicure.

Point is, if you've paid your money then wear what the heck you want. You'll be in a private seat anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.