Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

At first, I was going to say the same as casual Friday, although that brought on some nightmares of what I've seen from co-workers. As Explorer789 said, smart casual. You could do gym clothes or whatnot, but my considerations...

1) Will I be comfortable (regardless of COS)
2) What kind of response am I likely to get from the flight crew when I interact with them.
3) Is there a scent and if so, is it strong?

I add the last one there because it is always a factor. I take public transit a lot and one of my biggest beefs is that there are always people who either smell like they slept in a cesspool or someone who dumped a bottle of cheap perfume on themselves (one or two sprits is one thing, dumping the bottle on yourself is another). And smelling these strongly odourific people often makes me gag or want to throw up.

Really what you wear is your own business. But if you're going into a sealed metal tube and spend multiple hours with a bunch of strangers (active interaction or not), what kind of impression do you want to make on them. I generally find if you dress at least smart casual, you will be treated better (and if you have a dispute with a DYKWIA type who dresses like a slob, you will more likely than not, be given the benefit of the doubt).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
[

Really what you wear is your own business. But if you're going into a sealed metal tube and spend multiple hours with a bunch of strangers (active interaction or not), what kind of impression do you want to make on them.

I have no wish or in fact need to impress my fellow travellers in any way, and cant imagine why I would need to.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I travel for pleasure. I wear smart casual. Husband wears shorts and a polo often. If we are not going to a Qantas lounge and are overseas mid holiday we often wear nice thongs! Some might say that is uncouth.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If we are ...overseas mid holiday we often wear nice thongs!
No trousers over the thongs?
You are a liberal couple.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:52 am

Being Australian I expect they have a roll of Durex in their luggage too.

Now, for me the big question is: should I wear socks with my Crocs?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Fall/winter/spring: Knit pants/trousers (my favorite design house excels at this). Very thin turtleneck. Cashmere or merino sweater in season-appropriate color. Ankle boots. Silk square scarf in case added warmth needed around neck (easily tied around handbag strap). Cardigan easily accessible in carry-on

Summer: Jeans. Tank top. Oxford shirt. Flats or ankle boots (depending on where I am going). Silk square scarf. Cardigan easily accessible in carry-on.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:08 am

I wear a smile and a friendly demeanor.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What is considered acceptable clothing for starting another thread about acceptable clothing?

Complete n00dity is okay with me.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muji
No trousers over the thongs?
You are a liberal couple.
It's handy if it's hot!!

Originally Posted by planesquid
Being Australian I expect they have a roll of Durex in their luggage too.

Now, for me the big question is: should I wear socks with my Crocs?
No socks dear!

We don't fool around on hols so sans condoms! The Bali boozers in their late 20s probably take heaps
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
Fall/winter/spring: Knit pants/trousers (my favorite design house excels at this). Very thin turtleneck. Cashmere or merino sweater in season-appropriate color. Ankle boots. Silk square scarf in case added warmth needed around neck (easily tied around handbag strap). Cardigan easily accessible in carry-on

Summer: Jeans. Tank top. Oxford shirt. Flats or ankle boots (depending on where I am going). Silk square scarf. Cardigan easily accessible in carry-on.
You sound like Andy Warhol
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You sound like Andy Warhol
Especially on bad hair days.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by wolf72
Out of curiosity, what do travellers now days see as comfortable but acceptable clothing to wear into a business class lounge and on to business class flights these days without offending people?

I realize we all have different values/expectations and different levels of comfort when it comes to long haul flights...I tend to fly in shorts, slip on shoes and a hoodie though I do feel out of place in business class flights when looking at suit dressed execs and corporate types who give me "the stare of death" as though I should not be there.
What I wear most often are fishing-type shirts and casual cargo pants. Both have larger and more pockets than usual with button or Velcro closures and are very handy for passports, tickets, etc. I've been known to test a shirt pocket with my wallet to make sure it will fit a passport.

I am not interested in what other people wear as long as their dangling parts are covered. Should my attire attract a "stare of death" from some condescending goof he/she will find the same happily returned.

Last edited by Badenoch; Mar 4, 2017 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:30 am

I only wear my finest tuxedo when flying premium cabins.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by t325
I only wear my finest tuxedo when flying premium cabins.
On a DAYTIME FLIGHT????

Major fashion faux pas.

It's called "evening wear" for a reason.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
On a DAYTIME FLIGHT????

Major fashion faux pas.

It's called "evening wear" for a reason.
Gentlemen ought to wear morning suits on daytime flights, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.