Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

What is considered acceptable clothing for first and business international flights?

Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Out of curiosity, what do travellers now days see as comfortable but acceptable clothing to wear into a business class lounge and on to business class flights these days without offending people?

I realize we all have different values/expectations and different levels of comfort when it comes to long haul flights...I tend to fly in shorts, slip on shoes and a hoodie though I do feel out of place in business class flights when looking at suit dressed execs and corporate types who give me "the stare of death" as though I should not be there.

Henry Cavill travels comfortable as well.

Link:
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
T-shirt, Jeans & Sneakers for me.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shuigao
T-shirt, Jeans & Sneakers for me.
Same. I just had my first two international J flights the other week, and for one of them I was dressed in jeans and a henley; none of the staff at the Wing at HKG said a peep, and the same went for the loungegoers wearing T-shirts and shorts. If the airline's cool with it, I really don't care if a fellow traveler gets consternated over my appearance.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: *G
another of the same thread where its a race to the bottom to see who's more proud of being slovenly vs who can raise their nose the highest.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by wolf72
I do feel out of place in business class flights when looking at suit dressed execs and corporate types who give me "the stare of death" as though I should not be there.
I wouldn't care, if im on a LH flight and see the corporate types all suited and booted, i think to myself, first long haul trip! On short haul, i wear my work clothes, as i am normally leaving a meeting straight to the airport however long haul its always casual.

The thing is, you shouldn't care what people think, your money is just as good as theirs, wear what you want as long as it isn't inappropriate/offensive to other travelers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:38 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
One of the benefits of flying long haul first class in a decent airline is that you're all in pyjamas soon after take off for a night flight.

And on Qantas you even get them in business.

Sort of like a flying slumber party if you will.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:54 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
And here are some past discussions as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ium-cabin.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...1st-class.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ng-haul-f.html
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

Thank you for sharing. Very sorry I didn't post to either of those threads instead. I do apologize.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
The same as for economy international flights.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The notion that people should dress up for upper-class travel is largely a thing of the past. What's acceptable nowadays is basically what's acceptable in any store or restaurant:
  • Cover your genitals
  • Cover your abdomen
  • Cover your behind
  • Wear something under your feet
  • Don't be noticeably dirty or smelly.

I choose to go well beyond this in how I dress myself most of the time, but I am not offended by someone who merely meets these minimums. For example, shorts and a t-shirt with sandals are fine-- assuming the clothes fit!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
Out of curiosity, what do travellers now days see as comfortable but acceptable clothing to wear into a business class lounge and on to business class flights these days without offending people?

I realize we all have different values/expectations and different levels of comfort when it comes to long haul flights...I tend to fly in shorts, slip on shoes and a hoodie though I do feel out of place in business class flights when looking at suit dressed execs and corporate types who give me "the stare of death" as though I should not be there.
The only thing I would really take offence at is if you were smelly or excessively loud. Other than that, as long as you don't dress totally trashy, you should be fine.
If there were an expected dress code beyond regular street wear, airlines would publish it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Semi/Smart casual is what I do on all flights. For me, it's about setting a good impression to the FAs when I board, and have generally found them more responsive. Pretty good balance between comfort and looks.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
To summarize: Wear what you like. Don't worry about what others are wearing, because, frankly, it's none of your business.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
Don't worry about what others are wearing...it's none of your business.
Exactly right.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A blazer and your school tie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.