Filthy Airplanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filthy Airplanes

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
My experience on DL has been mixed in regards to cleanliness. Sometimes it is terrible, sometimes it quite good.

I've been on quite a few DL flights where you see duct tape holding things together, e.g. trim around the bulkhead, parts of seats etc...not very comforting.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Do you have a source for these allegations? I frequently fly on Us Flag carriers and have not noticed airplanes which are totally filthy, smelly with soiled seats and disgusting restrooms.
And neither have I and I fly a lot.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Air Canada is the filithiest of the North American carriers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-aircraft.html

I found DL reasonable, UA hit and miss, AA usually filthy, but still nothing like AC.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Airplane cabins are going to get filthy. I've been on the 1st KLM Dreamliner (it wasn't even 3 months old) and my seat was already in a horrible state.

Somebody clearly dropped several airline meals on it. Such a shame...
Old May 25, 2016, 2:56 pm

I worked for an airline contractor during a gap year and we serviced aircraft that remained overnight. The protocol was for us to clean the entire cabin including spraying down the seats and tray tables with disinfectant, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, taking the trash out, crossing the seatbelts, and organizing the seatback pockets etc.
Unless we were feeling very chipper, the only things that got done were crossing the seatbelts, organizing the seatback pockets, taking the trash out, and picking the obvious stuff off the floor. I don't even know where I could have found a vacuum. We did just enough that they wouldnt question us the next day.
Long story short, the gap between the expectation of the airlines and what they get, especially when they outsource is often immense. When they are paying near minimum wage, giving zero benefits, and maintaining a workplace culture of no caring, you also get a minimum effort from your employees/contractors.
I learned a lot during that gap year.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sloweddy00
Most US carriers are making millions of dollars and their planes are totally filthy, but nobody bothers to bring this to their attention including bloggers and/or frequent flyers.
Soiled seats, disgusting restrooms, smelly aircraft seems to be the norm; how often do they clean these planes? Are they required to clean them?
According to some employees who post on FT, they really don't clean them that often, and when they do, they are not cleaned that thoroughly.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:28 pm

I've found plane cleanliness to be pretty hit or miss and not really reliably good or bad with any one airline I've flown. I think it's to some extent luck. A 'normal' passenger will at worst leave an empty package or wrapper on their seats so that is pretty easily picked up so if you get that seat you'll probably not think of it as dirty in any way even if the cleaning staff wasn't very thorough. If there's a huge, obvious mess, it will probably also be cleaned and quite aggressively so, simply because it's so obvious even lazy cleaners won't be able to get away with ignoring it. The tricky bits and the ones sure to ruin your perception of a plane's cleanliness are gross things that don't immediately stand out and might be in places not easily reached. The 'filth' in the seat back pocket is probably a classic there and indeed the grossest thing I ever found on a plane was a used tissue in that pocket. That was on KLM for what it's worth.

I think there's a correlation between age of the fleet and perceptions of cleanliness. I think it's because new feels clean so if we aren't unlucky enough to find something obviously gross, we'll think of the plane as clean no matter what. There's also the factor that it takes some time before filth in hard to reach places reaches critical mass, a new plane likely isn't there yet. Perhaps staff including FAs also feel a bit more motivated to keep a new plane clean. It's sort of like the 'broken windows' effect of cleaning. If something looks immaculate you don't want to be the one to ruin it whereas if something already looks grimy you probably feel like no-one cares either way.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by AlmostJesus
I worked for an airline contractor during a gap year and we serviced aircraft that remained overnight. The protocol was for us to clean the entire cabin including spraying down the seats and tray tables with disinfectant, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, taking the trash out, crossing the seatbelts, and organizing the seatback pockets etc.
Unless we were feeling very chipper, the only things that got done were crossing the seatbelts, organizing the seatback pockets, taking the trash out, and picking the obvious stuff off the floor. I don't even know where I could have found a vacuum. We did just enough that they wouldnt question us the next day.
Long story short, the gap between the expectation of the airlines and what they get, especially when they outsource is often immense. When they are paying near minimum wage, giving zero benefits, and maintaining a workplace culture of no caring, you also get a minimum effort from your employees/contractors.
I learned a lot during that gap year.
I'm shocked that there's no check done by the airlines.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

It was not my intent to bash US carriers, but as 1K and EP I get to fly them just a tad.
The uncleanliness noted above is just my personal observation, so YMMV!
Old May 25, 2016, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
When you transfer from UA to AC, it's akin strolling from a Greyhound bus to an operation theatre.
I live in SFO but I fly AC when I can.

i.e. I fly UA a lot but I try to fly AC a lot.

I find AC is dirtier.

I've had to call a FA over before boarding finishes twice on AC due to cleanliness, but never on UA.

19% of my flights have been UA, 70% on AC. So I do have a reasonably sample size for both.

And just ask rankourabu, I'm an "AC fanboy".
Old May 26, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
BTW, if seat covers are made from leather, would not it easier to clean them, especially if the can be made removable and washable in a machine?
Old May 26, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Delta checks (at least now they do).
Old May 26, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Leather would make it easier to simply wipe down rather than remove and wash. The fabric seat covers one would think be easy to remove, wash, replace. However in the timec-onstraint world of aircraft turns allegedly depp cleaning only occurs at carrier hubs/bases on RON or long turns (i.e international to international).
Unfortunately it is inconsiderate passengers that sometimes defy logic. In today's bus mentality and no frills by airlines, I wonder if there is a correlation to the increase in the amount of trash left on an airplane?
Old May 26, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Widgets
Delta checks (at least now they do).
In my previous life as a station manager, I and my staff constantly did spot checks on our cleaning vendor, ensuring they lived up to their end of the SLA. So much so that when a cleaner inadvertently caused a flood in the FWD galley I requested a dry vac to sop up the mess (they happened to be using C/Class blankets to absorb the liquid - to which they paid the laundry bill).
This kept everyone on their toes and honest. I even introduced a team clean scheme where each spot check was rated, the monthly high scoring teams names put into a draw and the winners provided a prize.
Never had a negative comment from a passenger or points deducted on a HQ audit.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
The only check really was done by the FA in the morning. Im sure the airline had an audit program for contractors but I was never around for one.

Most of these items were done on the RON flights, on turn flights, only the garbage was taken out generally. We had 25 minutes to turn a flight around after they set their brakes at the gate, and when you have 1 gate agent and 3 rampers, the math didn't really make cleaning possible, and led to accumulation of garbage in the seats over the day.
13 minutes was my personal record from brake set to brake release.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.