Reload this Page >

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
I like to stay in the Conrad Hong Kong. This is one of the nicest hotels in the world and they go out of their way to make your visit extraordinary. One night we were arriving late from JNB (a few minutes past the closing time for the Lounge) so I emailed and asked if they could put a few snacks and two glasses of wine aside for when we arrived late. To my surprise they met us in the lounge with Champagne and snacks and after they sent a small meal to our suite with a complementary bottle of wine. We were travelling on points that time so we were totally gobsmacked. So I think staying in high end hotels does often "make" the journey. Mind you we also enjoyed a very nice $50 hotel in Siam Reap.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
I like to stay in the Conrad Hong Kong. This is one of the nicest hotels in the world and they go out of their way to make your visit extraordinary. One night we were arriving late from JNB (a few minutes past the closing time for the Lounge) so I emailed and asked if they could put a few snacks and two glasses of wine aside for when we arrived late. To my surprise they met us in the lounge with Champagne and snacks and after they sent a small meal to our suite with a complementary bottle of wine. We were travelling on points that time so we were totally gobsmacked. So I think staying in high end hotels does often "make" the journey.
Can't say I'm surprised at all by your story, that's one of the best hotels I've stayed at.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'd be careful about calling that "sterile". The sense of that word as many of us would apply it to a hotel room is synonymous with uninspiring and lifeless. At luxury price points I expect a room to have style. Obviously certain bits of style are widely undesirable. How many of us really want a cheap shag carpet from circa 1975? But there are many bits of style that are timeless. These include high quality materials, elegant design, and robust function. Within these parameters I don't care, for example, if the floor is carpeted, tiled, or wood, or whether the shower is trimmed in granite, travertine, or glass tile. All can be luxurious, if done properly.
I genuinely don't mind uninspiring and lifeless. I don't need style, I need function. I was quite narrow in my wants (bedding, towels, black out blinds) and it is rare a room is that sparse. I do prefer glass and chrome (even white tile) over wood etc. as they are so much more obviously dirty (or clean, if you like) than other, darker surfaces. There might be a work desk, a flat screen television, a sofa or chaise, a coffee table, bedside tables, a picture on the wall, etc. Provided they are not obtrusive, all those things are fine. I had a lovely room in Tokyo, there was a picture of some sort on the wall, there was a chaise by a beautiful full length window, a work desk, a table to eat room service at etc. Muted colour scheme, nothing 'grated' on the eyes. But with the blinds closed, that room could have been anywhere, and I am fine with that. Contrast that to some of the rooms I have been given in the tropics, which feel the need to ram down YOU ARE IN THE TROPICS, with carvings, and an over-abundance of art work, and locally made throws on the sofas, and shells on the vanity, etc etc.

And then there are the 'statement' rooms - I stayed at one hotel that I swear used 'serial killers' as its theme - the wall (and curtains) had random blood red splodges on, so at first glance looked like CSI never quite finished their clean up. I stayed in another boutique property and felt like I was in a storage room at Versailles. They could not have crammed in more antique furniture if they had tried - I think I counted at least 6 side tables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.