Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skatering
You also get terrible stares from staff when you request an Uber at a hotel which routinely has supercars casually parked in the drop-off zone.
breakfast can sometimes be included as benefit via travel agency

uber requires you to have smartphone? how would hotel know?
also taxis (including ubertaxi) are not uncommon, plus uberblack

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 4, 2016 at 9:08 am
Old May 4, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
breakfast can sometimes be included as benefit via travel agency

uber requires you to have smartphone? how would hotel know?
also taxis (including ubertaxi) are not uncommon, plus uberblack
This particular hotel had its own executive car service, with an 'expectation' that you'd want to use them. So to wait outside for an Uber involved telling at least three hotel employees you'd arranged your own transportation, followed by incredulous looks.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never had a hotel give me strange looks for arranging my own transportation, and this includes St. Regis and Ritz that may have had house cars waiting nearby.

There are many reasons a traveler would arrange their own car at all quality levels of hotel. For example, we use the same company for all of our Manhattan-to/from-airport travel. It would be frowned upon if I jumped in the hotel's car at 2x-3x the cost of what we already have negotiated.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This particular hotel had its own executive car service, with an 'expectation' that you'd want to use them. So to wait outside for an Uber involved telling at least three hotel employees you'd arranged your own transportation, followed by incredulous looks.
could easily be attitude, or possibly because you didnt say 'what' transportation
taxis are common most places, and public transport is common some places

and uberx could be business associate or friend, unless staff recognizes driver
Old May 4, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

That would irk me. The hotels business and partnerships are not my concern or responsibility. I can do what I like so far as non-hotel matters are concerned.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
That would irk me. The hotels business and partnerships are not my concern or responsibility. I can do what I like so far as non-hotel matters are concerned.
It's amazing what the lure of commission (or the less above-board variants) can do, though. Or worse, in areas where certain taxi ranks are controlled by mafiaesque organisations.

Of course, good service is not exposing all of this to the customer.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've always wondered who shops in those stores... Rarely see anyone in them. I mean, if I ever have a huge jones for a $79.99 polo shirt with the hotel's logo on it, I guess I know where to go...
A shirt printed with the hotel's logo is more something you'd find in a gift shop. Those are hardly exclusive to high end hotels. Typically they're in upper mid-scale hotels as well. And usually they're off to the side of the main path through the lobby, making them easily ignored. I'm talking about shops selling name-brand, designer fashion and accessories. Because these aren't cheap to start with the shops need prime location to generate foot traffic, meaning the hotel is built with these shops between the front door and the elevator. At some hotels it's like going through a shopping mall each time I enter or leave.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

To answer OP's question, I think any "high-end" product will be disappointing if you evaluate its utility vs. price on an objective basis. High-end products are usually meant to be status symbols, and give you a sense of importance. In terms of product performance, a $1000 name-brand handbag is for the most part functionally equivalent to a cheap one from Target. While its nice to stay at the Ritz or Four Seasons if you have the money and want to be pampered, you will likely be just as comfortable at the Hilton, especially if your activities in the destination city do not center around the hotel.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
To answer OP's question, I think any "high-end" product will be disappointing if you evaluate its utility vs. price on an objective basis. High-end products are usually meant to be status symbols, and give you a sense of importance.
I really wonder whether the tide is changing with Millennials. I'm finding my circle far more likely to talk about local places where the difficulty of getting there is "high end" and "time-price" is costly, than staying at the *insert name here* resort in the Maldives - surviving the wilderness after a 45 hour trip from Europe to a remote East Timor peninsula carries more status.

FWIW, the most incredible place I stayed was a tiny, family-run resort (Phanom Bencha Mountain Resort) in the middle of the rainforest in Krabi, Thailand. The owner and his family had the incredible gift of making people from every culture feel completely at home, greeted everyone by name and their favourite dish for breakfast or dinner after just one day, and made arriving, staying and leaving utterly seamless. They even have a beautiful, natural, spring-water infinity pool overlooking the mountains, from a tapped stream. All this for USD17 per double bungalow...
Old May 5, 2016, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Reading this thread, I get the sense that many people think that charging $250 per night constitutes a 'high-end' hotel. When you start spending $600+ per night and find these rooms dull and sterile, please let me know. This is not to say that you need to spend a lot to stay in a nice hotel, of course.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Personally, I would prefer a Nice full service marriott where im treated well, than a Uber Luxury hotel, where because of my income I am not the top dog. But it all depends on the service level, not specifically the hotel.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Reading this thread, I get the sense that many people think that charging $250 per night constitutes a 'high-end' hotel. When you start spending $600+ per night and find these rooms dull and sterile, please let me know. This is not to say that you need to spend a lot to stay in a nice hotel, of course.
I agree, people should not conflate "high end" with absolute price. US$250 doesn't buy much of a hotel room in New York or San Francisco these days, but in some parts of the US-- let alone many parts of the world-- it can buy quite posh accommodations and service.

As for the "dull and sterile" phrase being tossed around, I understood that as pertaining to brand-name hotels like Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. They are often boring in their what-business-travelers-want generic sameness. They are not high-end hotels, of course, though many inexperienced travelers may mistake them as such, especially when the rates in big cities seem astronomical to small-town sensibilities. How did you interpret the phrase?
Old May 6, 2016, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That's what I meant as well. A $350 Marriott in LA or Paris is going to be very bland.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I won't stay at a hotel that is lower quality than my own home. Why should I? Why would anyone?
I car camp all the time. I've never been tempted to "glamping".
Old May 6, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The only hotels I've stayed at where I was wowed were:
  • Aman i Khas, India
  • Silky Oaks Lodge, Australia

The JW Marriott in Bangkok was certainly very nice, but definitely not in the same class as the above two. And really, the Aman was a few notches more amazing than Silky Oaks. But that was mainly because of our personal butler and the fact that there were only about a dozen "rooms".

Otherwise, all mainline Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, W, Westin, etc properties are all pretty interchangeable to me.

And TOTALLY agree with the above sentiment that it's the service that makes a high end hotel.
I have to say that i so much wanted to love Silky Oaks Lodge but found the service as in most Australia places to be severely lacking especially given the price. I wrote my service issues on the feedback card but of course never heard from them. I can't remember what they were and enjoyed the area around silky oaks. That's what makes horse races

OTOH the regent resort in chang Mai now a four seasons on a working rice farm was outstanding in room, service, atmosphere..as was the Taj in varanasi which provided a horse drawn carriage to the river at dawn to witness sunrise over the ganges..as well as banyan tree lijiang and ring ha in Yunnan China ..beautiful complexes decorated with local color..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.